• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The Ukraine

Like The Ohio State University. Why 'the?' One would sound like a lunatic to refer to The Poland, or The Austria. So, why The Ukraine and not just Ukraine?
Because everything is lunatic in The Ukraine right now.
That’s my only guess.

hardly anyone says the ukraine anymore, but they used to.

I suppose if you do a translation, Ukraine meaning “borderland” it makes sense that westerners would call it “the Ukraine.” Especially in the 40s to 80’s.

However in the 90s Ukraine made serious moves to separate themselves from the soviet days including the spelling and pronunciation of Kiev vs keev. Those moves consisted of request to be recognized internationally as such.

Oh good, yet another Ukraine thread...lol
Well, actually, its a thread about language, not (The) Ukraine...

Heres another example...

One can catch; a cold, the flu, covid. But, you would catch funny looks to say that you caught; the cold, flu, or a covid.

A couple of my favorite boomerisms... The dye-au- beet-us, The cancer...

Reactions: vwhugger and Two36
Well, actually, its a thread about language, not (The) Ukraine...

Heres another example...

One can catch; a cold, the flu, covid. But, you would catch funny looks to say that you caught; the cold, flu, or a covid.

A couple of my favorite boomerisms... The dye-au- beet-us, The cancer...
I could punch a person that calls pecans pee-cans

• Haha
Reactions: Two36
Anybody know who sells the cream for crabs ?

Hmmm . Shit hole . The Shit hole . A Shit hole . Some Shit hole . Still confused me .
Like they , them , it , fag , knob gobbler , pillow biter .
Ehh who knows .

• Haha
Reactions: Two36
Blame the Beatles...

"The Ukraine girls really knock me out..." :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

The cream doesnt work.

Shave half your genital area and soak it in lighter fluid, then light it. Stab the crabs as the flee the inferno.

Guaranteed.
I always got told go to the gay part of town with a bottle of cocktail sauce

• Haha
Reactions: Maggot
The South, The Netherlands, The Woods, The Philippines, The Hood, The Bahamas,The Outback, The Congo...

Quite commonly, definite articles are attached to areas where they have a mix between geophysical names and a physical entity.
"Groups of islands like the Maldives and the Bahamas. You wouldn't say 'I'm going to Maldives, you'd say 'I'm going to the Maldives' because it's a geographical area."
Countries like the United States of America and the United Kingdom also carry the definite article because they are compound nouns with adjectives.

Not to mention....

Wait for it...

The Hide.

I personally believe that U.S. Americans are unable to do so because some people out there in our nation don’t have maps and, uh, I believe that our education, like such as in South Africa and, uh, the Iraq, everywhere like such as and I believe that they should, our education over here in the U.S. should help the U.S., er should help South Africa, and should help the Iraq and the Asian countries so that we ill be able to build up our future for our children.

I personally believe that U.S. Americans are unable to do so because some people out there in our nation don’t have maps and, uh, I believe that our education, like such as in South Africa and, uh, the Iraq, everywhere like such as and I believe that they should, our education over here in the U.S. should help the U.S., er should help South Africa, and should help the Iraq and the Asian countries so that we ill be able to build up our future for our children.

Joe Biden said this during his campaign verbatim. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

We have friends with a highschool-age daughter. Occasionally, she will say something and the only reply the parents can muster is “I thank god every night that you are pretty…”

Oh my god that was painful to watch. 😖

• Haha
Reactions: Darayavaus
Used to work with a guy from southern Illinois that said "warsh" instead of wash. He blamed the pronunciation on his wife that was from Louisiana.

The name changes sometimes bother me as I learned them "The Russian way" but its not virtue signaling, its the fact the Ukrainian is different from Russian, and in the USSR everything was done in Russian as the official language.

Kiev = Russian
Kyiv = Ukrainian

Its a different language.

Same with Kharkov.

Mix in the fact that Ukraine was kind of repressed in the Soviet days as well as Putin's 'reason' for invasion was persecution of Russian speaking minorities, and its much more than virtue signaling. Russia started in Kiev as "Rus' waaaay back in the day. Over time the center of Russian culture shifted from Kiev to Norvogrod to Moscow. As Big as Russia is, they actually developed into similar (but different) cultures over the 1000 years since, including diverging languages. Add to that Ukraine had large Polish and Lithuanian influences over time before Russia Swallowed all of Eastern Europe in the Russian Empire 1700-1900. We remember them as Soviet or Russian, because until 30 years ago (God I'm old) their were this monolith of culture. But it was forced. Everyone was forced to learn Russian and be Russian. After the USSR busted up, Ukraine was free to go back to be Ukraine. Its very similar, but it isn't the same. Give us 1000 years and then tell me the US south doesn't have a different culture than New England..

Winderlite...Window

Terlit...toilet

Food...Ford

The name changes sometimes bother me as I learned them "The Russian way" but its not virtue signaling, its the fact the Ukrainian is different from Russian, and in the USSR everything was done in Russian as the official language.

Kiev = Russian
Kyiv = Ukrainian

Its a different language.

Same with Kharkov.

Mix in the fact that Ukraine was kind of repressed in the Soviet days as well as Putin's 'reason' for invasion was persecution of Russian speaking minorities, and its much more than virtue signaling. Russia started in Kiev as "Rus' waaaay back in the day. Over time the center of Russian culture shifted from Kiev to Norvogrod to Moscow. As Big as Russia is, they actually developed into similar (but different) cultures over the 1000 years since, including diverging languages. Add to that Ukraine had large Polish and Lithuanian influences over time before Russia Swallowed all of Eastern Europe in the Russian Empire 1700-1900. We remember them as Soviet or Russian, because until 30 years ago (God I'm old) their were this monolith of culture. But it was forced. Everyone was forced to learn Russian and be Russian. After the USSR busted up, Ukraine was free to go back to be Ukraine. Its very similar, but it isn't the same. Give us 1000 years and then tell me the US south doesn't have a different culture than New England..
I read an intersting story about Rurik of Novgorod. It seems the Slavs wh were disorganized asked him to rule them. Apparently he instituted a form of democracy where the men would vote on things. Dont know that to be rue but its a good story.

Ford= the space between your eyes and your hairline.
Twiced= we gone thar twiced
Finna= we finna leave. Jawanta get wid us?

over and under on how long it will take for (the) Ukraine to be bombed into he Stone Age and their defenses to be manned by 11yo?

I read an intersting story about Rurik of Novgorod. It seems the Slavs wh were disorganized asked him to rule them. Apparently he instituted a form of democracy where the men would vote on things. Dont know that to be rue but its a good story.
this is the history of the Kievan Rus, circa AD1100

“These are the narratives of bygone years regarding the origin of the land of Rus’ , the first princes of Kiev, and from what source the land of Rus’ had its beginning.”

try teaching in an inner city public school. She would be in the AP class. :ROFLMAO:

• Love
Reactions: Maggot
this is the history of the Kievan Rus, circa AD1100

“These are the narratives of bygone years regarding the origin of the land of Rus’ , the first princes of Kiev, and from what source the land of Rus’ had its beginning.”

I took a night class in Russian taught by a woman refugee. We were studying the language. When I told her that the Slavic/Russian language was actually a 'created language' by St Cyril (Cyrillic) Greek, and Latin, she was amazed. Seems that knowledge wasnt taught in schools there.

If you study the history of Russia, its amazing how the various cultures blended. Very brutal.

History is written by the victor.

There are no good communists. Even dead one make the worms ill.

One of my high school girlfriends pronounced onion as yunyun. Turns out she was just retarded. My folks were not amused by her, but she was a freak in the sack!

what really is happening. For you guys who thought CNN was full of crap before Ukraine and now are watching it defy logic,