• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

the Ultimate Precision Rifle Muzzle brake Showdown | in-depth Analysis and conclusions Revealed !

Very nice work. Thanks for the information. Also, good to know my EC Tuner Brake is still providing good value even if the tuner doesn't work. ;)

Reactions: anisbet75
I hate asking this, but what is the ATS H2? I know what the ats brakes are, but not h2.

I hate asking this, but what is the ATS H2? I know what the ats brakes are, but not h2.
It is from ATS (Aaron Hipps), a new version of his brake slightly better performing, I think he is still working on it. It's like a V2, but H just sounds better I guess. :ROFLMAO:

It is from ATS (Aaron Hipps), a new version of his brake slightly better performing, I think he is still working on it. It's like a V2, but H just sounds better I guess. :ROFLMAO:
Ah. It’s still secret. It does show some slight improvement in your tests though.

I was surprised how poorly the Insite Heathen OG tested in the concussion category. What sold me on the brake was it advertised as one of the low concussion brakes. In this video they show the blast from a top down view compared to a competitor. @sab567 did your testing for blast angle/feeling seem pretty different? It might be time for me to try another low concussion brake.

I was surprised how poorly the Insite Heathen OG tested in the concussion category. What sold me on the brake was it advertised as one of the low concussion brakes. In this video they show the blast from a top down view compared to a competitor. @sab567 did your testing for blast angle/feeling seem pretty different? It might be time for me to try another low concussion brake.

No matter what, a brake is going to be concussive to the shooter. Some more than others, and I find the Insite one of the more "pleasant" ones to shoot (using that term liberally when it comes to a brake).

If you want concussion reduction, nothing beats a suppressor. World's better than a muzzle brake, but at the cost of recoil reduction.

I used to shoot pretty much all Insite Brakes, but now I shoot suppressed. No matter what brake you get, you'll still get blast sent your way when shooting.

I like the way they are testing the blast angle with paper on the ground. I try to avoid being close to the ground as some brake have some directed flow to go higher (ie Botnia) where the gas exit more over the center and so avoid ground presence. But I still do like his way of comparing.

I might have been severe on the "feeling" scale tho, I'll have to shoot it again to tell better, honestly the concussion is a nightmare to put numbers on. I did the blast angle as it is something easy to see and measure, but it doesn't give a complete thruth as you dont have a measure of the amount of gas produce at the worst angle measured. I tried a high quality sonometer but it didn't work even with a 5k $ machine, the momentum was too short to have a reliable data. I tried a sysmometer (measuring the pressure/vibration in the air) but I just couldn't make it work properly, totally on me.
So I've put a personnal feeling scale, wich I hate so much as it only give a personnal feeling, and the blast angle.
I joined picture of the brake with my high Paint talent to show a before the shot and during the shot where with a bit of contrat, you can easilly see the angle of the gas produced on the Insite OG brake.
That being said, their new generation give no back blast and offer a really really low muzzle jump.

Attachments

• Capture d’écran 2024-03-09 105638.jpg
    Capture d’écran 2024-03-09 105638.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 73
  • 431019386_1107054540513085_5911925323331503814_n.jpg
    431019386_1107054540513085_5911925323331503814_n.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 83
Reactions: Page2 and kthomas
I like the way they are testing the blast angle with paper on the ground. I try to avoid being close to the ground as some brake have some directed flow to go higher (ie Botnia) where the gas exit more over the center and so avoid ground presence. But I still do like his way of comparing.

I might have been severe on the "feeling" scale tho, I'll have to shoot it again to tell better, honestly the concussion is a nightmare to put numbers on. I did the blast angle as it is something easy to see and measure, but it doesn't give a complete thruth as you dont have a measure of the amount of gas produce at the worst angle measured. I tried a high quality sonometer but it didn't work even with a 5k $ machine, the momentum was too short to have a reliable data. I tried a sysmometer (measuring the pressure/vibration in the air) but I just couldn't make it work properly, totally on me.
So I've put a personnal feeling scale, wich I hate so much as it only give a personnal feeling, and the blast angle.
I joined picture of the brake with my high Paint talent to show a before the shot and during the shot where with a bit of contrat, you can easilly see the angle of the gas produced on the Insite OG brake.
That being said, their new generation give no back blast and offer a really really low muzzle jump.
Yeah I understand what you're saying about the subjectivity of the "feeling". That's a tough one to quantify. I appreciate that everything else in the review is data driven. I have personally felt my 3 port Insite was comparatively pleasant to shoot (just like @kthomas said) and your review had me wondering if the ACE/ATS/Jetblast were even better.
I noticed in the pictures that yours appears to be the 5 port Insite which would be good to note on your spreadsheet. The OG Insite comes in 3, 4, or 5 port versions which may test differently.

Which one will blast out the neighboring shooters the best? After 10 years of always being between 2 guys shooting brakes, it's time for my turn....
But in all seriousness great test and valid info within the equipment available.

• Haha
Reactions: carbonbased
This is fantastic! Thank you very much for all the time and effort!

Have you done this type of testing with suppressors? I’m very curious to see the comparison numbers.

It would be great to have an expectation of recoil differences when switching to or from a brake to a suppressor. Especially with some of the systems like Area 419 runs where’s it’s easy to switch back and forth.

Reactions: Hickswr
This is fantastic! Thank you very much for all the time and effort!

Have you done this type of testing with suppressors? I’m very curious to see the comparison numbers.

It would be great to have an expectation of recoil differences when switching to or from a brake to a suppressor. Especially with some of the systems like Area 419 runs where’s it’s easy to switch back and forth.
Really good point, sadly suppressors are illegal in Canada and so ... it's not really going to happen from me. Hopefully someone does it

Nice video. I'm glad you included concussion to the shooter.

Quite surprised at the cost vs performance of some of the brakes, looks like you don't need to spend $500 on MB after all.

Nice video. I'm glad you included concussion to the shooter.

Quite surprised at the cost vs performance of some of the brakes, looks like you don't need to spend $500 on MB after all.
Yeah well, concussion is a big deal these days with more medical proof of the subconcussive brain injury it could cause (TBI).

For the cost per performance, of course what you will see is really depending on the cost the brake have. if for example someone released a 10$ brake, no matter it's performance it have a chance to stand pretty high in the scale, so numbers are for advertised public XD but it was interesting to show.

Which one will blast out the neighboring shooters the best? After 10 years of always being between 2 guys shooting brakes, it's time for my turn....
But in all seriousness great test and valid info within the equipment available.
TMB and A419 Brakes are BY FAR the worst. Guaranteed to rattle some fillings out of your friends.

Yeah well, concussion is a big deal these days with more medical proof of the subconcussive brain injury it could cause (TBI).

For the cost per performance, of course what you will see is really depending on the cost the brake have. if for example someone released a 10$ brake, no matter it's performance it have a chance to stand pretty high in the scale, so numbers are for advertised public XD but it was interesting to show.
The reason I shoot with a suppressor is mostly due to the concussion, and secondarily the noise mitigation.
I started using a brake a few years ago but hated it.

The PVA Jet Blast looks like a great deal being 90% as effective as the best brakes, with little concussion and is only $125.

Reactions: sab567 and kthomas
Have you done anything similar to this with magnum cartridges or have any thoughts on any sort of correlation with how more powerful cartridges may perform with the same model brakes but larger bore?

The TMB doesn’t bother me at all behind the gun, but it does suck to be next to

My personnal input, TMB is by far the worst in the list, then the DN5 and area419 after that.
Have you shot the DN5? I have not shot the TMB so I can not say one way or the other but if you'd like to compare Ill send you the DN5 after DBD is done with it.

Have you shot the DN5? I have not shot the TMB so I can not say one way or the other but if you'd like to compare Ill send you the DN5 after DBD is done with it.
Yeah I have a DN5 here. Gonna try it at my next match to see if I can feel the concussion at the end of the day.

Have you done anything similar to this with magnum cartridges or have any thoughts on any sort of correlation with how more powerful cartridges may perform with the same model brakes but larger bore?
Objective of the test was to stay within PRS popular calibers so I don't spent an other 1k rounds in testing with more expensive ammo :p
That being said, I did see a difference where some brake did performs way better with more powder in the case, and so there will definitely be a difference where a brake will outperform others with magnum calibers, where it probably did poorly with the 223rem for example.

I have several competitor friends who use the TMB - I think they are hoping the concussion beating on the rest of the squad will help their placement in match!

I am running the ACE for less concussion even if less performance.

• Haha
Reactions: LR1845
You'll feel it as soon as you fire the first round.
Well compare to the TMB I can tell I didn't feel it as much on the first round. Already did 2 practice days with it without much notice of the blast compare to the Botnia and the TMB. So I'll see how it goes for a full match day.

Well compare to the TMB I can tell I didn't feel it as much on the first round. Already did 2 practice days with it without much notice of the blast compare to the Botnia and the TMB. So I'll see how it goes for a full match day.
Interesting because the first round I shot the first thing I noticed was the back blast....it was literally like a light breeze over my head and face...the DN5 reduces recoil but at the shooters expense. I have never shot either of the brakes you mention but the DN5 is by far the worst I have ever shot as far as the blast goes.

Interesting because the first round I shot the first thing I noticed was the back blast....it was literally like a light breeze over my head and face...the DN5 reduces recoil but at the shooters expense. I have never shot either of the brakes you mention but the DN5 is by far the worst I have ever shot as far as the blast goes.
This explain that. Of course the DN5 have a decent score on the concussion scale, but if you ever shot à TMB just before, you will feel that the DN5 isnt that bad 😆.
But nothing to be compare to the ACE, or well any other 1 or 2 score in the scale I use in the video.

Reactions: LR1845
Objective of the test was to stay within PRS popular calibers so I don't spent an other 1k rounds in testing with more expensive ammo :p
That being said, I did see a difference where some brake did performs way better with more powder in the case, and so there will definitely be a difference where a brake will outperform others with magnum calibers, where it probably did poorly with the 223rem for example.
Fair enough, I can’t argue with that logic!

thanks for sharing the data, I cannot stand when videos dont do so.

Its hard to "compare" relative data with someone just speaking through it. Some of us like to see the numbers.

Reactions: sab567