• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Movie Theater The Unknown Known

woojos

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 3, 2013
Just watched this flick on Netflix. It's a candid interview of Donald Rumsfeld made into a documentary.

Interesting watch and seeing how events unfold through the perception of a senior leader.

He came off as a stand up guy although he described himself as "cruel and measured".

Putting himself at the mercy of a film maker is either reckless or foolhardy for a guy with his background, but he handled it just fine.

It's less of a documentary on the man and more of a long conversation with him.

I think it's too easy, and way too common, to see individuals being pilloried for their associations with others. I believe that a great percentage of the folks we judge and characterize are genuinely trying to do difficult jobs in a sea of troubled waters. No one gets to senior positions of power without walking the walk and talking the talk of their political patrons, whether enthusiastically or with ambiguity. The media is a lap dog for some, and a tormenter for others; neither of which should be taken even largely at its word. I take all media 'truths' with considerable skepticism.

Greg

Last edited:
That's a good point Greg and part of the reason why I find some of these more candid interviews interesting to watch, as the subjects are generally retired and more willing to speak freely.

Well any leader that starts a war with no intent to go full on and finish it no matter the cost is not a leader at all. Vietnam, Korea, GW 1&2 and the GWOT are all being fought with the goal of a draw as the finish point, and that my friends is the tragedy.

Speaking on tactics and leadership here not politics.