• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The weapon mounted LRF conundrum.

ajdemar215

Private
Minuteman
Jun 8, 2017
Aight, so @sneakypayload and I have been discussing the options (or lack thereof) for weapon mounted LRF. Seems as though it’s either 10k or discontinued. I was bitching about how come Holosun hasn’t ratted some shitty LRF into on of their “laser/IR/wml” housings and made a mediocre quality WMLRF.

Now, I’ll preface by saying, I’m just a dumb pipefitter. I in no way shape or form understand how any of this witchcraft works. But to me, it seems awfully simple to smash one of the thousands of low budget LRFs into an aluminum housing that’s mountable. Like, this doesn’t seem that unobtainable for a sub $500 LRF good for 600 and in. I know some people might scoff at the idea of only 600 yards but for me and my only application of nighttime predator hunting, that would be plenty.

By sure dumb luck, today we came across the Trybe optics diMa 1000 LRF. After scouring the internet, there’s basically zero information about it other than the company sells a LVPO and a clip on magnifier for LVPOs. Optics planet has them on their website for $500. Found one video on Facebook from 21’ of it and looks to be pretty legit. But again, zero information out there about it. Any one have any experience with one? Or is it just a figment of my imagination.

Also feel free to educate my ignorant ass on possibly why there isn’t a poor kid friendly WMLRF.

Reactions: Evolution 9
Haven’t seen this one yet. Will have to check it out. All I’ve seen is the Ali Express ones that look lackluster.

I would guess that the market doesn’t realize there’s much of a demand for it at this point. The SiCo Radius was ahead of the market and they’d sell pretty well if they made another batch of them. Overall though I’d guess the market is still fairly small compared to a handheld unit.

When I posted a similar question a few years ago the answer was there just isn't demand. The use case for a cheap short range wmlrf is basically nighttime shooting which is a very niche market. When I searched I found the unit you mention and there's also a unit put out by infaray but there's very little info on either. I believe the infaray model plugs into some of their thermals and I wasn't able to determine if it has an external display.

Reactions: ajdemar215
When I posted a similar question a few years ago the answer was there just isn't demand. The use case for a cheap short range wmlrf is basically nighttime shooting which is a very niche market. When I searched I found the unit you mention and there's also a unit put out by infaray but there's very little info on either. I believe the infaray model plugs into some of their thermals and I wasn't able to determine if it has an external display.
Yeah I could see the “low demand” but with more states legalizing night hunting that demand is growing. In the grand scheme of things, buying a thermal and an additional wmlrf, I would have been the same money out just buying a unit that has it all combined. Still just seems strange to me that there isn’t an option. You’d figure the tactigoons and IG gun pages would create a demand strictly off aesthetics.

Reactions: Bakwa
Haven’t seen this one yet. Will have to check it out. All I’ve seen is the Ali Express ones that look lackluster.

I would guess that the market doesn’t realize there’s much of a demand for it at this point. The SiCo Radius was ahead of the market and they’d sell pretty well if they made another batch of them. Overall though I’d guess the market is still fairly small compared to a handheld unit.
I still have a hard time with “lack of market” I know dudes that’ll knock their grandmother over for a shot at a used SiCo radius.

Yeah I could see the “low demand” but with more states legalizing night hunting that demand is growing. In the grand scheme of things, buying a thermal and an additional wmlrf, I would have been the same money out just buying a unit that has it all combined. Still just seems strange to me that there isn’t an option. You’d figure the tactigoons and IG gun pages would create a demand strictly off aesthetics.

I agree the market is much larger than a few years ago but in the grand scheme of things the numbers are still quite small. I'd be willing to pay 1k maybe 1.5k at the outside for a quality unit ie waterproof with a reasonable recoil rating. I think I probably fairly represent the unwashed masses that would make a product like this viable since the people that are really into this already have the 10k units you mention.

That's not a lot of $ for a low serial production run. I don't know the history of the radias other than I should have bought one when they were cheap. That might be the best bet being an existing product I would assume some tooling and production costs would be mitigated.

I feel like with more widespread use of ballistics solvers, higher end scopes, and better rifles in the hunting and competition world, a under 3k priced LRF is something that is marketable.
Vortex 100% has something of that nature coming with their XM157 (or whatever the fuck it's called) optic for the military.
Maztech is partnering with Magpul for a LPVO integrated LRF mount with a Heads up display.

So the question begs is why did SiCo discontinue, and no one else has picked up the torch other than shoddy companies with zero actual. experience?
If there was a decent WMLRF that was under 2k, I would buy two. 3kish, I would totally buy one. But at 8k plus it's just insane.

I can't believe vortex or someone similar doesn't have an offering yet.

I've been periodically looking at the Trybe since last year, but already have a Radius so didn't feel like it was worth the gamble. I saw the price drop so I bought one in April. I returned it after using it the first time because the visible red zeroing laser was 3+ mils off diagonally (verified under NV so I could see the ranging laser) from where the rangefinder beam actually hits. In other words, zeroing the visible laser did absolutely nothing to zero the ranging laser to my optic. I have no idea if that was a random defect in mine or not. I emailed Trybe and got a response the following day advising me to return it. This did not impart a great deal of confidence in the product. I thought about trying another, but the Radius has been solid for me since 2017. YMMV, but I'd be curious if anyone else here has tried one.

if i need a WMLRF I probably have $20k in NV and thermal...so what's a little bit more
WMLRF's are also good for non-nv use too. Ranging targets on your weapon system for unknown distance shoots, matches, etc.

it's not always about ultra-LARPING.

WMLRF's are also good for non-nv use too. Ranging targets on your weapon system for unknown distance shoots, matches, etc.

it's not always about ultra-LARPING.
sure but i'd rather have the ballistic data in a LRF bino in that scenario

Newcon has one that's sub 2k that's solid, Wilcox and Envision MARS on the high end covered (9-13k). Pulsar and others have units that cover 700 yards integrated into thermal sights for sub 5k all-in with the thermal.

I love me some RF, out of all mine I use the Newcon 3500BT, or Pulsar most. It might change when the Mars arrives.

-PLRF 10C
-PLRF 15C
-SC Radius
-Newcom 3500BT
-STORM PI
-Pulsar Trail 2 LRF
-Envision MARS
-and a gaggle of Leica, Bushnell, Sig, and Vortex units floating around.

Last edited:
I pre-order the Mars. F it, buy once cry once. BIG upgrade from my radius. It'll be used in matches, hunting, and shooting in the dark with my eotech CLIPIR-LR.

Reactions: Evolution 9
Newcon has one that's sub 2k that's solid, Wilcox and Envision MARS on the high end covered (9-13k). Pulsar and others have units that cover 700 yards integrated into thermal sights for sub 5k all-in with the thermal.

I love me some RF, out of all mine I use the Newcon 3500BT, or Pulsar most. It might change when the Mars arrives.

-PLRF 10C
-PLRF 15C
-SC Radius
-Newcom 3500BT
-STORM PI
-Pulsar Trail 2 LRF
-Envision MARS
-and a gaggle of Leica, Bushnell, Sig, and Vortex units floating around.
Huh. I’ll check newcon.

IMG_8554.jpeg

Well then…..

Hey OP, I also was looking for a poor's friendly WMLRF and found the Sightlok RF-1 recently.

It allows you to mount whatever rangefinder you currently use to your rifle and it comes with windage/elevation adjustment capability.

It's been working for me on a .308 using a Sig BDX rangefinder, but the risk with this option is that commercial rangefinders are really generally not designed to handle heavy recoil, so depending on your caliber, you could potentially kill your rangefinder.

All I can say is it has been working in my case.

Attachments

• Sightlok-RF1.jpg
    Sightlok-RF1.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 32
  • sightlok-RF1-LE032.jpg
    sightlok-RF1-LE032.jpg
    233.2 KB · Views: 27