• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Theodolite iPhone App

Platypus

Sergeant
Minuteman
Just found a new iPhone app and can see some applications for precision shooting, field sketches, range cards and data book entries. There is a free version and then the Pro model runs $3.99. The Pro has a reticle change feature to include a mil scale reticle (20mils at 1x, 10mils 2x, 5mils 4x) that adjust with the zoom along with Long/Lat, compass reading (mag or true), altitude, horzontal angle indicator, elevation angle (up-down angel), DTG stamp, camera snapshot feature, ability to email and copy info along with applying it to a map, and a bunch more I will have to read about. Has anyone else used this app and if so opinions? Here are a couple of pictures using the camera feature:
image at 4x zoom
694291.jpg

The actual screen image is best shown on the web site: link below -

Theodolite Web Site
Another picture on 2x zoom
35lrozk.jpg

and on 1x
2d6ksk6.jpg

Another App that may be of use is "Panoramic 360" it is pretty cool it allows you to stand in one spot and take a continuous picture as you pan around cost is just $0.99.

Re: Theodolite iPhone App

Another nice panoramic photo iPhone app is microsoft's Photosynth, a freebie.

Would be nice if android had it

Just found this in Backpacker mag so I downloaded it, seems interesting with a Mil Scale reticle inside. I could see the uses for range cards, and quick sector sketches. It combines, GPS, Rangefinder, Two axis inclinometer, Map and geotag zoom camera. The GPS can be set with different Lat- Long, MGRS, and many other mapping formats.

Spyglass is another good app. Has a lot of the same features as Theodolite, and has a lensatic compass display.

Yep, this is a nice app, there is already a write-up about using it in conjunction with a LRF so you get an accurate range as well. Your screenshots also don't show all the features, like angle, bearing, compass, GPS coordinates etc... I think you don't have them turned on in the screenshot section.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HeroFish</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yep, this is a nice app, there is already a write-up about using it in conjunction with a LRF so you get an accurate range as well. Your screenshots also don't show all the features, like angle, bearing, compass, GPS coordinates etc... I think you don't have them turned on in the screenshot section.</div></div>

Where is that write up?

Thanks.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...146#Post3312146

Checkout the longish post from Altnews. Its a pretty nice explanation of how he uses Theodolit - its what got me to download it (where I first heard about it).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mister Ouchie</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HeroFish</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yep, this is a nice app, there is already a write-up about using it in conjunction with a LRF so you get an accurate range as well. Your screenshots also don't show all the features, like angle, bearing, compass, GPS coordinates etc... I think you don't have them turned on in the screenshot section.</div></div>

Where is that write up?

Thanks. </div></div>

another nice thing about Theodolite, is that most of the functions still work in Airplane mode. I think the elevation is only based on the built-in GPS when no cell serivce is available, but this is real nice when your out of coverage area!

I may have to try this app. It might prove useful in determining a quick angle to target to imput in a trajectory program.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Quigley77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I may have to try this app. It might prove useful in determining a quick angle to target to imput in a trajectory program.</div></div>

If you want a quick angle, a cosine indicator mounted to your rifle would be better. Pulling out your iphone, starting the app, and point it takes a while. : )