• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Theoretically possible to over-tighten rings?

lolnorcal

Private
Minuteman
May 17, 2011
Bay Area, CA
Hey all, kind of a noob question but I wanted to be sure.

Got my SWFA SS 5-20x50 HD and everything looks great- paired it with an AD Recon 30mm mount. My question for you guys- is it possible to over-tighten the rings and damage the scope?

I did some searching and people say there is some risk. I didn't have time to get the rings lapped as I had to get the rifle ready for a trip tomorrow. It seemed as I was torquing the screws (I went little by little in each corner in an X pattern to distribute torque evenly) it took a while until all the screws were snug.

Looking for opinions, comments. Scope still looks fine when I look through it. Thanks all.

Re: Theoretically possible to over-tighten rings?

There was a post not too long back of someone damaging the tube on a USO scope. So yes, I would say it is possible.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lolnorcal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey all, kind of a noob question but I wanted to be sure.

Got my SWFA SS 5-20x50 HD and everything looks great- paired it with an AD Recon 30mm mount. My question for you guys- is it possible to over-tighten the rings and damage the scope?

I did some searching and people say there is some risk. I didn't have time to get the rings lapped as I had to get the rifle ready for a trip tomorrow. It seemed as I was torquing the screws (I went little by little in each corner in an X pattern to distribute torque evenly) it took a while until all the screws were snug.

Looking for opinions, comments. Scope still looks fine when I look through it. Thanks all. </div></div>

ummmmmmmm....... yes.........

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sheldon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There was a post not too long back of someone damaging the tube on a USO scope. So yes, I would say it is possible. </div></div>

to be fair on that one they used the wrong size rings.

Yes it is possible, hard to describe what about 15inch lbs feels like but if you go to far over that you can damage the optic. Different rings can be easier to damage a scope with.

I think it would be a good idea to double check everything, pull it off and check the tube, and then report back with my findings.

As for right now, sight picture is still clear and in focus.

Anything else to look for?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sheldon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There was a post not too long back of someone damaging the tube on a USO scope. So yes, I would say it is possible. </div></div>

to be fair on that one they used the wrong size rings. </div></div>

That is not an easy task.

15 inch pounds? Sounds like I likely went over that.

I tightened down all the allens until they were snug and it would be difficult to go any further without really using force. As much force as one can apply with a small allen wrench, anyway.

I look at it this way , I have a 1800 dollar scope in 160 dollar rings , whats the harm in spending 50-100 bucks on an inch pound torque wrench ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lolnorcal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">15 inch pounds? Sounds like I likely went over that.

I tightened down all the allens until they were snug and it would be difficult to go any further without really using force. As much force as one can apply with a small allen wrench, anyway. </div></div>

I used 15 as a general number. All depends on the ring manufacturer and what they recommend.

Going to unmount the scope first thing once I get home and inspect for any possible damage. Then place in an order for a torque wrench. Should be here once I'm back from my week long camping trip.

The concern now is how to detect a scope is internally damaged if there isn't any exterior damage? Image is still fine, haven't tried to make any adjustments, haven't zero'd it yet.

Photo of setup in question- only one I have at the moment.

ph0SA.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lolnorcal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I tightened down all the allens until they were snug and it would be difficult to go any further without really using force. As much force as one can apply with a small allen wrench, anyway. </div></div>

Which end of the allen wrench were you holding? The long or the short part of the L?

15 inch pounds is about what you get when you tighten rings fairly tight while holding the shorter end of the L of the allen wrench (and the long part of the L is sticking into the screw).

If you were cranking on the long end then you're likely 30-40 inch pounds, but it's really unlikely that you did anything more than maybe mark up the finish of the scope. If it seems to work fine, just shoot the shit out of it, don't worry about what's done imho. Not sure that loosening stuff up at this point would do any good, if the damage is done then it's done.

I'm not worried about marking the scope, just putting any indents or "crushing" the tube of the scope and causing internal damage. I was also holding onto the long part of the L.

You're right about what potential damage has happened will not likely go away by loosening it and doing it again. It's more for peace of mind, if that makes sense. Anyway, I'll check it out and let you guys know.

Thanks for the input.

That scope you have is one tough SOB... I seriously doubt that you did anything at all to it. Go shoot!!

DK

Although they don't mention it in the installation instructions, I'm pretty sure you're supposed to torque the bottom screws first, then do the top ones. The bottom screws secure the ring halves to the base, and do not always contribute significantly to the clamping force.

If you did any damage to the tube you'd never notice it by looking through the scope. The worst you could probably do to it is cause the parallax adjustment to bind. If that still functions normally, even if you yielded the tube slightly, the scope is fine.

15 inch pounds is quite light. At the very least get the Wheeler torque wrench for $50. Everything on a rifle has a torque value so it's worth having.

When you pull it apart if you don't see any damage to the outside of the tube, you haven't hurt anything.

It still amazes me that folks work on thousands of dollars worth of equipment without a relatively cheap tool. Yes you can make due without it. However we are talking about a PRECISION rifle. There isn't anything precise about guesstimating torque.

Also, I suggest a Borka Tools Driver. I have used a FAT Wrench and much prefer the Borka Driver.

http://www.8541tactical.com/borkadriver_review.php

Consider this, when you tighten a screw with a wrench, in some ways it's like using a cheater bar. Not quite, but...
A screw is already a lever, well technically an inclined plane. And a wrench is obviously a lever. So if you use the long end of an allen or torx wrench, how much of a lever do you have when compared to say a screwdriver? Answer is, a wrench makes it easy to apply WAY more torque to a screw, in proportion to it's length.

The torque settings on screws/fasteners are specific, as when one tightens things down to the appropriate setting range, the fasteners actually stretch a tiny bit. Such stops them from coming undone, except in extreme applications. Like say high vibration areas of helos & aircraft. But the bolt stretching bit is what keeps your lug nuts from coming loose.
That said, I use blue Loctite on the screws on scope wrings, for peace of mind, as well as to prevent/lessen corrosion on the threads.

If you're mega worried about the scope slipping in the rings, there are compounds you can put inside of the rings to head this off before it happens. But such is rare until you get into the realm of BIG cartridges.

In some mounts, over tightening the rings will also cause the side focus/parallax adjustment on some scopes to cease to operate properly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lolnorcal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

ph0SA.jpg
</div></div>

If that is an ADM mount, the instructions say:

<span style="font-weight: bold">"8. Please torque all ring screws to 20-25 in/lbs max."</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
ummmmmmmm....... yes.........</div></div>

That was, letter for letter, the response I'd formed in my mind when I read the thread topic...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lolnorcal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It seemed as I was torquing the screws (I went little by little in each corner in an X pattern to distribute torque evenly) it took a while until all the screws were snug.</div></div>

It's all going to depend on your definition of "snug". If you used more than your thumb and one finger to pull the Allen wrench, chances are you overtightened it.