• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing There ain't no Mtn. Lions in OK. Pfft.

mavrick10_2000

Private
Minuteman
Jan 8, 2009
Oklahoma
mlion2_large.jpg

Now in possession of OKWD. Hit by a car off HWY 81 North of Minco. It probably traveled along the river. Estimated to be 12-20 months old.

I've spotted a smaller pair off moving through cedars during bow season a few years back. This guy is a bit bigger.

Re: There ain't no Mtn. Lions in OK. Pfft.

Good sized Cat! Shame she couldn't have lived longer... pretty young when she was hit.

what a beautiful animal. Agree with KYS338, shame she didn't live longer.

It was a 120 pound male. Hit just south of the river bridge, between Union City and Minco, along the Braum's property.

35°21'3.41"N
97°55'55.06"W

When I lived in Tahlequah, back in the the early 90's, the mayor at the time had a male and female as pets. One summer day he brought the female out to the Illinois River. She was beautiful and seemed tame, we all got pet her.

My great aunts and uncles used to talk about seeing them in the SE part of the state back in the 20's, 30's, and 40's. I have never doubted that they were in OK.

I saw one by my buddies uncles house here in Eau Claire, WI... It later was struck and killed by a car in Connecticut! Talk about range!

They say the same thing in Iowa, me and my buddies saw one when we were rafting the creek earlier this summer. Saw it run 30 yards, bound up a standing tree about 15 feet and jump off into the timber. And no this was before the alcohol kicked in. Even got pics with my hand next to the prints to prove it.

CO said it was a really big dog when i showed him the prints. I told him dogs dont run up trees and jump off of them or have 3 ft tails either.
shocked.gif

I just drove right thru there on Wednesday night. The guy I was with told thats where it had been hit, just south of the bridge.

I'm sure the ODWC will continue to deny their population in the state and say it was a fluke deal.

Probably another one of ours. Guess we are going to have to start charging you out of staters for killin our cats!!!!
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scott H</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Was that cat micro chipped? </div></div>

Well atleast in the case of the WI Cougar... The WIDNR extracted DNA from its scat found here in WI, and was matched to the animal struck in Conn.

Several years ago I had a lease in Cogar (just west of Minco) and saw tracks, but never saw or got trail camera pic of the cat. Sure makes you nervous when walking out there in the dark.

We have had alot of sightings in western Nebraska. Game and parks supposedly released them to control the whitetail deer. I think we to release something to control the Game and Parks.