• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

There I was ...

rustyinbend

GySgt USMC 1976-1992
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Dec 9, 2018
    Bend, Oregon
    ... with a new and factory sealed 1-pound jug of Hodgdon Retumbo, happily loading some .338-LM cartridges using my Chargemaster 1500 ... when it started "clicking" just a bit. Ignored the noise for a cartridge or two, and it went away. Then when finished, I opened the valve to drain the unused powder back into the jug ... when it "stopped" with an obvious clog. Ended up pushing a little dowel up to unclog it, but it kept clogging back up. Set up a catch basin, and watched from above as I tried to clear the clog. Imagine my surprise when I found a 6mm bullet in the bottom of my powder reservoir.

The odd part about that is ... I don't own, shoot, or reload 6mm in any way, shape, or form ... and I know it came out of the Retumbo jug because I use this powder measure all the time, and fully empty it without fail when I'm done.

Anyone else ever find something "weird" in their powder jug? This is a first for me. Why couldn't it have been a Krugerrand, or a Bitcoin, or a box of Primers ...

1643219296213.png

hahaha...and I thought it was going to be "and there I was at 20k feet in a hard left slice" Yeah, very old USAF guy here....but back then we didn't have little planes on sticks and had to use our hands. LOL

090219-F-7195G-001.JPG

Reactions: rustyinbend
    hahaha...and I thought it was going to be "and there I was at 20k feet in a hard left slice" Yeah, very old USAF guy here....but back then we didn't have little planes on sticks and had to use our hands. LOL
    Yeah ... absolutely I've got some great "There I was ..." stories from my Marine Corps flying days. Half of them involve "airplane" issues, the other are "personal" stories related more to destinations than to aviation. LOL

Reactions: Baron23
    The more I think about this ... the more I find myself asking how a pulled 6mm bullet could end up in a factory-sealed jug of high-end magnum powder. I just can't visualize any scenarios where that would be possible. Especially true since nobody I know would use Retumbo to shoot 6mm cartridges. Quite the mystery ... no doubt.

One twist I thought I'd share ... I bought this powder about six months ago from a local guy that had a bunch to spare. It's got the "metal" lid, not the "plastic" lid shipping now, so I knew going in it was a few years old. But all three jugs I bought still had the factory seal and obviously had never been opened. Now I'm wondering ... I mean ... what if ... NAH ... nobody would go to the trouble of gluing a ring of paper on a jug to "simulate" a never-opened product ... right?

The more I think about this ... the more I find myself asking how a pulled 6mm bullet could end up in a factory-sealed jug of high-end magnum powder. I just can't visualize any scenarios where that would be possible. Especially true since nobody I know would use Retumbo to shoot 6mm cartridges. Quite the mystery ... no doubt.

One twist I thought I'd share ... I bought this powder about six months ago from a local guy that had a bunch to spare. It's got the "metal" lid, not the "plastic" lid shipping now, so I knew going in it was a few years old. But all three jugs I bought still had the factory seal and obviously had never been opened. Now I'm wondering ... I mean ... what if ... NAH ... nobody would go to the trouble of gluing a ring of paper on a jug to "simulate" a never-opened product ... right?
    Retumbo, 7977, H1000 are all great in the 243AI and some of the other bigger 6mm cartridges.

Sorry didn't read the entire post. Some body was pulling down some rounds, could have just impacted one out, dumped the powder back in the jug, lost the bullet and forgot about it.

Reactions: Huskydriver
    Yeah, people will use h1000 in 6CM with the 115's. I don't know why you would waste it like that but some folks like to watch the world burn?

Some people not too long ago were conflating slower burning powder with cooler burning powder, and hypothesizing that the slowest powder they could use would make their barrel last longer. It probably works somewhat if for no other reason you can't get enough in to hit 80kPSI, then back off a smidge, you know, so its safe....:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I'll call Hodgdon .... maybe I won a factory tour. I can write a book ... "Rusty and the Powder Factory". I'd like Sean Connery to play my part in the movie version.
    I think you missed your chance..he’s gone now about a year and a half.

Pilot program to test a new reloading concept? Powder, bullets, cases, and primers.....all in one can?

Found a dead mouse in a jug of vihtavuori powder one time. Right on the bottom of the jug. Was kinda mummified.

I've had kernels that were clearly from something else, like 1/8" diameter, never a projectile though, that is better than a Cracker Jack prize.

Hodgdon doesn't even go to that much trouble to seal containers.

You bought it from me and it was new as far as I know. I haven't loaded Retumbo since 08 and it was a single work up for 7WSM from a different container. I'll gladly give you your money back.

Reactions: myronman3
    Hodgdon doesn't even go to that much trouble to seal containers.

You bought it from me and it was new as far as I know. I haven't loaded Retumbo since 08 and it was a single work up for 7WSM from a different container. I'll gladly give you your money back.
    Yup ... and it was sealed and shoots awesome. That's why the whole "bullet in the jug" thing astounded me. When I talked about "re-sealing", I hope it was obvious that I was being a sarcastic smart-ass. Got anymore spare Retumbo? I'll buy it, but this time, please put 6.5-CM bullets in it.
    (There's that sarcastic smart-ass again!)

Yup ... and it was sealed and shoots awesome. That's why the whole "bullet in the jug" thing astounded me. When I talked about "re-sealing", I hope it was obvious that I was being a sarcastic smart-ass. Got anymore spare Retumbo? I'll buy it, but this time, please put 6.5-CM bullets in it.
    (There's that sarcastic smart-ass again!)

I'd have sold it to you if I did. PV had some this morning.

FWIW, I bought 10 1lb containers of Varget from PV and when I received it there was powder leaking out of the cardboard box. I think Hodgdon just fills retail containers CONUS from larger storage containers. Not sure if there's extra bullets in them though.

I'd have sold it to you if I did. PV had some this morning.

FWIW, I bought 10 1lb containers of Varget from PV and when I received it there was powder leaking out of the cardboard box. I think Hodgdon just fills retail containers CONUS from larger storage containers. Not sure if there's extra bullets in them though.
    LOL ... the other company that sucks at packaging is Chewy.com ... can't count the number of times that dog food or pet supplements were in an oversized box with no padding, just bouncing around until they broke open. It's an IQ test that some companies just fail.