• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

there's got to be some audiophiles here

wfjames22

trigger yanker
Minuteman
  • May 8, 2009
    SW TN
    I'll start by saying that I know virtually nothing about home audio/stereo/etc systems. With all the diversity I've seen in the members here over the years, I'm sure that there's at least a few guys around that could help me out.

I'm nearing completion on a shop out at our farm/hunting property. It's about half shop and half living area, which consists of a large room with a pool table/couches/tv, a couple of bunk rooms and a bathroom. The shop area is where we're going to keep the tractor, atvs, etc as well as do general farm repair/maintenance work. There's also a covered porch on front to hang out and grill on.

Now that ive explained the general layout, I'll get on to what I'm looking to accomplish with regards to an audio system. I'd like to be able to listen to music in the shop, pool table and porch areas. Ideally, I'd be able to control the volume at each area independently. I'm ok with having to listen to the same source at all three locations, but I'd like to be able to turn each area's speakers on/off independently.

Pretty much all I know is that I'm going to need a receiver and some speakers, other than that, I'm lost. I've done some online research and currently it's only added to my confusion.

It depends on what you really want to accomplish...Quality, or convenience. It sounds like you are interested mostly in convenience. Ill include a shot of my system which is quality I think you are leaning more toward convenience so a good receier and seeral sets of speakers are what you want. Youe got a lot of options including wireless speakers, and streaming, which gies you access to 1000's of channels. Im not so up on the latest technology, my system is 100% vacuum tube and vintage gear. I have a couple of friends that work at Crutchfield Corporation, a good place to start. PM me and Ill hoop you u with one of them/ Then if you hae any more questions Ill be glad to help/

Last edited:
    Not saying this is what you want. Just showing you what's out there.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-jGTcCNacQQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Not saying this is what you want. Just showing you what's out there.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-jGTcCNacQQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Actually that sounds like exactly what hes looking for. Not the highest sound quality, but ultimate in convenience.

The key will be what he has in terms of internet access. If you have broadband at the house, and are running utilities from there, then certainly pull at least one run of CAT 6 cable out there.
    If your utilities are already done, and inaccessible, you can use a wireless bridge to share the internet access from the house. Cable if you can though. Then all you need is a switch in the shop connected back to your router at the house. The distance limit on cable is about 300 feet.
    Line of sight wireless can go for miles.

I appreciate the insight so far fellas. Currently, there's no internet at the house or shop. Cell phones barely work there, I kind of like it that way.

Maggot, you are correct in assuming that convenience outweighs extreme sound quality. Having said that, I don't want to feel like I'm listening to the factory stereo system in a late 70's Pontiac. I'm not opposed to using a wired system at all. Even though it's nearly completed, I still have fairly easy access to be able to run wires wherever needed.

I'm thinking about a couple of speakers in the ceiling over the pool table, a couple of outdoor speakers on the porch and a couple of speakers in the main shop area. Where I'm getting stuck is how to accomplish this (component wise) in a proper and somewhat cost efficient manner.

Sonos will not be cost-efficient. There are many good receivers that can handle your need wired or wireless, and some can equally send two different sound sources to two different areas, if desired.
    You can still have a wireless local network without having Internet present.

What will be the primary media types? Digital from a phone or USB? CD? FM radio? All of the above?

The key will be what he has in terms of internet access. If you have broadband at the house, and are running utilities from there, then certainly pull at least one run of CAT 6 cable out there.
    If your utilities are already done, and inaccessible, you can use a wireless bridge to share the internet access from the house. Cable if you can though. Then all you need is a switch in the shop connected back to your router at the house. The distance limit on cable is about 300 feet.
    Line of sight wireless can go for miles.

Tell me more about a wireless bridge.
    I'd like to have my wifi in my shop.
    Running a cable would be a bitch.
    I'm also looking for a dock for my itouch/phone for pandora ect with remote.

R

How far is the shop from the house? Is there good line of sight? Are there windows in the shop on the side facing the house?
    Based on certain criteria, you may just need an outdoor antenna on the house end to beam a strong wi-fi signal to the shop, instead of a full bridge, which would be an antenna at each end.
    Either way, it's pretty easy to install and setup.

https://www.amazon.com/EZ-Bridge-Lit.../dp/B002K683V0 - <----bridge

I have used these on several jobs and have seen clients pick up good signal from up to a 1/2 mile.
    https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Nano...dp/B004EGI3CI/ <----- outdoor access point

What will be the primary media types? Digital from a phone or USB? CD? FM radio? All of the above?

Digital from phone/iPad and fm radio will be the predominant sources. I'm planning on putting a tv on the porch (quick detach mount) so I can watch football/etc while manning the grill, so it might be cool to be able to have the directv box as another input. The audio equipment and directv box that will run that tv will all be in the same location, if that matters.

How far is the shop from the house? Is there good line of sight? Are there windows in the shop on the side facing the house?
    Based on certain criteria, you may just need an outdoor antenna on the house end to beam a strong wi-fi signal to the shop, instead of a full bridge, which would be an antenna at each end.
    Either way, it's pretty easy to install and setup.

https://www.amazon.com/EZ-Bridge-Lit.../dp/B002K683V0 - <----bridge

I have used these on several jobs and have seen clients pick up good signal from up to a 1/2 mile.
    https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Nano...dp/B004EGI3CI/ <----- outdoor access point

80ft from the house.
    No windows in the shop.
    I get wifi on the front porch with my phones.
    DO I just need a receiver at the shop?
    Looking to have reasonable internet speed.
    Metal building btw.

R

Last edited:
    80 feet isn't far. I'd be tempted to try the nano station first (second link).
    You'll need a length of outdoor rated ethernet cable long enough to run from your existing Internet router to the location you are going to mount the antenna facing the shop.
    A power injector plugs in near the router, then the ethernet cable delivers signal and power over the ethernet cable to the outdoor antenna.
    Even though you're in a soup can, it should let enough signal through the cracks at 80 feet.
    A window or a windowed door on the house side would be ideal.

Here's the basic layout.

Outdoor_WiFi_Antenna_AP_1661.jpg

I appreciate the insight so far fellas. Currently, there's no internet at the house or shop. Cell phones barely work there, I kind of like it that way.

Maggot, you are correct in assuming that convenience outweighs extreme sound quality. Having said that, I don't want to feel like I'm listening to the factory stereo system in a late 70's Pontiac. I'm not opposed to using a wired system at all. Even though it's nearly completed, I still have fairly easy access to be able to run wires wherever needed.

I'm thinking about a couple of speakers in the ceiling over the pool table, a couple of outdoor speakers on the porch and a couple of speakers in the main shop area. Where I'm getting stuck is how to accomplish this (component wise) in a proper and somewhat cost efficient manner.

You didnt say your intended budget. That means a lot.

If you have to go with wires then Id recommend doing a nicer pair of speakers like some high efficiency klipsch, somewhere, probably in the pool table room. Buy a high quality receiver, I can make some recommendations, and an efficient pair of speakers like Klipsch. then some inexpensive stuff for outdoor and in the shop. You might be surprised how pleasant a bit of High Fidelity can be. Like I said, feel free to pm me and we can speak if you like. Maybe send me a rough diagram of your pool room. You might want to c heck out the magazine Stereophile. There is a bi yearly review of recommended components which gives you a lot of info/

80 feet isn't far. I'd be tempted to try the nano station first (second link).
    You'll need a length of outdoor rated ethernet cable long enough to run from your existing Internet router to the location you are going to mount the antenna facing the shop.
    A power injector plugs in near the router, then the ethernet cable delivers signal and power over the ethernet cable to the outdoor antenna.
    Even though you're in a soup can, it should let enough signal through the cracks at 80 feet.
    A window or a windowed door on the house side would be ideal.

Here's the basic layout.

Outdoor_WiFi_Antenna_AP_1661.jpg

Thanks Tuck.
    I may be bugging you some more on this set up.

R

If you have to go with wires then Id recommend doing a nicer pair of speakers like some high efficiency klipsch, somewhere, probably in the pool table room. Buy a high quality receiver, I can make some recommendations, and an efficient pair of speakers like Klipsch. then some inexpensive stuff for outdoor and in the shop. You might be surprised how pleasant a bit of High Fidelity can be. Like I said, feel free to pm me and we can speak if you like. Maybe send me a rough diagram of your pool room. You might want to c heck out the magazine Stereophile. There is a bi yearly review of recommended components which gives you a lot of info/

Thanks sir, I'll shoot you a pm. I don't really have a budget. The way this shop build has gone, it would end up costing double whatever I budgeted anyway.

So, I've been working on a long list of other projects but this one is rising back to the top. Can I do this with a standard receiver or do I need a specialized one? What other components do I need? Surely someone here has a similar setup?

Sent you a pm a couple of weeks ago, but no response. Do you need more info?

I bet you do have a budget when I can easily recommend 25k speakers.

I hear ya, on the fact that this isn't probably isn't the best place to find this info and that this project is like anything else, in that you can spend as much as a new truck if you wanted to.

Having said all that, I am so lost in this arena that I don't even know where to start and this is the only place I hang out at all on the web. I've seen all manner of topics come up in the pit and most times people get solid advice.

I would like like to accomplish the goals I set in the beginning of this thread for the least amount of money. I'm not concerned about attaining the highest quality sound but like I stated earlier, don't want to put the time and effort into doing this and it end up sounding like I'm listening to a 1940's am broadcast.

For whatever reason, I've yet to receive one from you. Not sure what's happening to them in cyberspace.

Check again, I wasnt familiar with the new format.

And yes there are forums for audio. Check out Stereophile magazine, but dont shit yourself when you see a Clearaudio Goldfinger phonoartridge (thats just the needle part) for $15K. No, I dont have one.

I bet you do have a budget when I can easily recommend 25k speakers.

25k is cheap

These are in my living room. The bottom cabinets are 7 feet long. Sirh has heard them.

Attachments

• photo53909.jpg
      photo53909.jpg
      66.6 KB · Views: 23
    Oh I don't know if a shooting forum populated by guys who have been shooting for years and who probably have pretty bad hearing problems is the best place to ask an audio related question. For instance, I CONSTANTLY hear a high pitch "E" in at least my left ear. Maybe in my right hear too I don't know.

But what the hell, give it a go.

Last edited:
    25k is cheap

These are in my living room. The bottom cabinets are 7 feet long. Sirh has heard them.

I am not sure that 'heard' is the right word. I think 'experienced' is a better term.

Dark Side of the Moon on Vinyl with a large-ish single malt was something of a quasi-religious experience.

We all have our obsessions. I have live artillery and old cars/old motorcycles. Maggot has audio equipment that 'goes up to 11.' And goes up to 11... at a level of sound quality that is something like a transcendent out-of-body experience...

Cheers,

Sirhr

Mr. Maggot, those cabinets are a work of art, did you build them?

Bwahahahahaha

I can take $10,000 worth of fine wood and turn it into a pile of toothpicks, not much more.

A skilled woodworker built those. They are made out of Oukume plywood (9 ply, all hardwood wood, void free, marine grade, certified by Lloyds of London to be to British boat building standards. Every joint both screwed and glued

The horns on top are equally a work of art, built by an engineer who exiled from Cuba years ago. All wood and check the curves. Truly a master craftsman. Despite their size they only way but 5 lbs each. Very delicate work.

Im highly efficient at spending money on this stuff. My skill level stops there.

001.18264929_std.JPG

003.18264706_std.JPG

Bwahahahahaha

I can take $10,000 worth of fine wood and turn it into a pile of toothpicks, not much more.

A skilled woodworker built those. They are made out of Oukume plywood (9 ply, all hardwood wood, void free, marine grade, certified by Lloyds of London to be to British boat building standards. Every joint both screwed and glued

The horns on top are equally a work of art, built by an engineer who exiled from Cuba years ago. All wood and check the curves. Truly a master craftsman. Despite their size they only way but 5 lbs each. Very delicate work.

Im highly efficient at spending money on this stuff. My skill level stops there.

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/livesounddesigns.com\/yahoo_site_admin\/assets\/images\/001.18264929_std.JPG"}[/IMG2]

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/livesounddesigns.com\/yahoo_site_admin\/assets\/images\/003.18264706_std.JPG"}[/IMG2]

Well sir thank you for sharing.

I can take $10,000 worth of fine wood and turn it into a pile of toothpicks.

Ok, keep up the good work.

Pretty amazing speakers mags, I need to get a wireless setup in my house as well, my wife is a Celtic Harpist so I want quality wireless if there is such a thing.
    carry on gentlemen. You to Tucker

I'm still using my four Sansui boxes from the 70s. Of course some of the internals have been rebuilt or replaced. Today, people seem to be acclimated to reference sound. It is the safe move. Especially, if you are only going to jam to shit like, Stomping That Pig All Night Long.

Pretty amazing speakers mags, I need to get a wireless setup in my house as well, my wife is a Celtic Harpist so I want quality wireless if there is such a thing.
    carry on gentlemen. You to Tucker

Dont go wireless. If your wife is a Harpist she will appreciate the sound of a good audio system and you score points.

I'm still using my four Sansui boxes from the 70s. Of course some of the internals have been rebuilt or replaced. Today, people seem to be acclimated to reference sound. It is the safe move. Especially, if you are only going to jam to shit like, Stomping That Pig All Night Long.

And its no big deal when a drunk spills beer on one....

Maggot I get the multi cells. Tell me more about those 7' cabinets. Very interesting set up. Tubes and all.

Maggot I get the multi cells. Tell me more about those 7' cabinets. Very interesting set up. Tubes and all.

The originals had bass to 40 hz. My pair being better constructed, have usable bas to 16 hz, the low note on the pipe organ. they will really make the air quiver. The multi cell horns ar e wooden replicas of the Altec 1505 with 288 c drivers on the rear.

----------------------------------------------

RCA model MI-9462 bass enclosure. Many swear by these enclosures and feel that they portray the most palpable, real sounding bass out there. I never had a chance to evaluate them myself, even though I had a pair of them stored in my garage for a time.

They were introduced in about 1948, and were RCA's take on the VOT type combination bass enclosure. The short front horn flare is a radial design, as were the RCA cast aluminum mid / high frequency horns that were introduced at the same time. The radial horn was invented and developed by RCA engineer Mr. John Volkmann, and the MI-9462 was designed by his associate, Mr. A.J. May. These RCA designs were the original radial horns, but many others, including the Altec 511, 811, and the JBL 2350, etc. soon followed.

The original drivers for the MI-9462 would have been the field coil MI-9443, or the permanent magnet MI-9449. These 15" drivers used a very thin, straight sided cone with annular corrugations, a 2" 30 ohm voice coil, and a large magnet structure. Other woofers built with the same general light cone / heavy motor recipe, like the Altec 515, might work quite well.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

rca+ubangi1.jpg

Dancin' and singin' and movin' to the groovin'
    And just when it hit me somebody turned around and shouted
    Play that funky music Howie
    Play that funky music right
    Play that funky music Howie
    Lay down that boogie and play that funky music till you die
    Till you die, oh till you die

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/qObUnXis4mw?ecver=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Cool analog system. Love the RCA inspiration. What does the final bass riff on Hotel California sound like?

More than you think. You would be surprised what some turntables go for. Those amps to those cabinets are exposed. Grab the capped cable on one of them. It will be the bright tube that will take out a snowflake with earbuds. Six feet under.

Last edited by a moderator:
    My momma taught me that when I get around things I cant afford or didn't understand, I was to stick my hands in my pockets and not touch anything!

Ryan

More than you think. You would be surprised what some turntables go for. Those amps to those cabinets are exposed. Grabbed the capped cable on one of them. It will be the bright tube that will take out a snowflake with earbuds. Six feet under.

Sounds like you know this stuff Culpepper.

Those amps are Altec 1569 reworked and improved by Tom Tutay of Transition Audio Design. They produce 165 watts of power per channel (193 at clipping) using only two 811 direct heated triodes. Each tube takes 90o volts so yes, they will curl your toes.

love the tube stuff, never had the $$opportunity$$ to own any. Back in the day I had a couple Bob Carver 1.0 running mono thru a Adcom pre, out of Polk REF monitors, but nothing like Maggots system. Now i am more of a balance between hifi and convenience. Home theater is a Denon receiver with two zones, one powers the 5.2 system of Martin Logan ESL's and the other is in the bar room thru a couple Klipsch book shelf size speakers. The living room system is tied to this thru a Cat6 line into a real cheap (walmart bought) system with included sub and 4 ceiling mounted Polk Audio speakers.The sound quality is not there, but it is background or entertaining sound only.

Dang, lots of information flying around through here. I consider myself an audiophile but only have nice headsets/earphones. I just can't get myself to sit down in a room and listen to music for hours without feeling antsy. Everything else I just use headphones.