• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing There's precision... and then there's *precision*

jaychris

Private
Minuteman
Aug 23, 2010
This is a two part post- one part I'm a lazy bastard who did a half-assed job in the first place and one part Chad Dixon's tolerances are unreal. I wasn't sure which forum this really belonged in since it's not exactly a gunsmithing question, but since it relates to precision 'smithing, I thought this fit best.

I recently bought a second Barnard Model P to cut down on the number of barrel switches I've been doing. Since my first Model P was not blue printed (I'm pretty comfortable with Barnard's precision in the first place), I figured it would be no problem to fit one of my existing barrels to it. One of them being a .260AI barrel that I recently had chambered by Chad Dixon at LongRifles.

When the action arrived, it was covered cosmoline (or whatever Barnard uses to protect a new action) and I sort of half-assed the job of cleaning it cause I was in a bit of a hurry. I thought I did a pretty good job of cleaning the threads though. I attempted to fit it to the barrel Chad chambered for me- uh, no go. About 6 turns and it started to tighten up and drag a little and there was no way I was going to force it. I tried it on a different barrel (chambered by another smith before I had Chad chamber my .260AI), and it went on fairly easily with no issues. The bolt ran a bit rough though and it just wasn't cycling smoothly. I thought about it a bit and it bugged me that I couldn't fit it to both barrels and that it wouldn't cycle smoothly. This morning, I sat down with a bucket of hot, soapy water, stripped the action, and really scrubbed the crap out of it. Every single bit of cosmoline was stripped off. Oiled it up, and figured I would give it a try on the .260AI again. This time, ran on smoothly, just as it should have the first time had I bothered to do the job right the first time. Checked the head space with a go gauge + tape (.002) and it was dead on. Bolt drops cleanly on the go gauge and stops dead with the go gauge + tape (.002").

Both barrels shoot well so this is not a knock on the barrel that was chambered by the other smith. I've cleaned a few targets with that barrel. But as this instance clearly demonstrates, there's precision and tight tolerances and then there is *precision and tight tolerances* as demonstrated by the guys at LongRifles. I'm a numbers nut so this sort of thing hits me right in the OCD.

Also, note to future self, don't half-ass a job that should have been done right the first time.

Re: There's precision... and then there's *precision*

Thanks J.

Glad everything is "werkinz" well for you.

As for the conversation on the Dashers:

I've come to learn a few things about this cartridge and it's "cousins".

6mm Dasher is a blown out 6mm BR.

6mm Long Dasher is a 6.5x47 Lapua necked down to 6 and fire formed.

6mmx47 AI is the one most really want.

Here's why:

The long dasher has a shorter neck, just like the regular one. If you make 6mmx47 brass and attmpt to chamber it won't work. Brass is too long at the neck.

It'll have to be trimmed to fit.

More work, pain in the arse, and no benefit from it.

The 6x47ai is a "load n shoot" design David kiff and I settled on to address this.

Longer neck keeps your seating depths out of the neck/shoulder junction.
No trimming required.

Easy!

One thing I've learned:

Some have taken the practice of going deep w/the std dasher and caling it a L dasher.

Not correct. It'll shoot and prolly be fine. However the taper is too big at the web and brass gets a serious case of "muffin top"

GAY!

We have the correct reamers. All are no turn set up for 105-107-115 bullets.

Gimme a call next week and we'll settle on the way to go.

Thanks again.

C.