• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Thermal Binoculars

BamaSE

Chairborne Squad Commander
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2019
Dothan, Alabama
Every now and then I get the idea I‘d like a set of thermal binos.....typically after sitting in a lawn chair watching a field/feeder for 3-4 hours with a monocular. Been eyeballing both the N-vision Atlas 50 or 25mm and Pulsar Accolade XP50.
If anyone out there uses either and has any input one way or the other please share experience and details.
Thanks!

They’re both excellent. Atlas uses BAE 12um 60Hz core, but today I think the Pulsar has *many* more features. If WiFi streaming to your phone, color pallets, and an AMOLED display are beneficial features, the Pulsar wins the day.

If you’re a BH/WH only type, don’t care for WiFi techno-trickery:D and can settle for a non-OLED display, the BAE core pulls out the win.

Reactions: BamaSE
the nvision binos have color. ultimate nv has a 100mm lens version

the nvision binos have color. ultimate nv has a 100mm lens version

Schweet. I’m generally a “Black & White” guy.

Black Hot Matters, yo!

Reactions: NateSavannah
With just one front lens ... the Atlas are not "Binos" ... I don't see the whole behind one in front and 2 on back ... like the PVS-7 ... it could be a few folks get "dizzy" looking thru just one lens ?
Now if it has two on front and two on back, then I'd call it a "bino" ... (versus bi-oc)

They’re both excellent. Atlas uses BAE 12um 60Hz core, but today I think the Pulsar has *many* more features. If WiFi streaming to your phone, color pallets, and an AMOLED display are beneficial features, the Pulsar wins the day.

If you’re a BH/WH only type, don’t care for WiFi techno-trickery:D and can settle for a non-OLED display, the BAE core pulls out the win.
Thanks, the Pulsar definitely has an edge with the battery system. I know one can run an Anker on the N-vision but it appears the port is on the underside of the device.....seems like this would make it comfortable and possibly prone to damage whilst bouncing when riding in a buggy over rough terrain.

With just one front lens ... the Atlas are not "Binos" ... I don't see the whole behind one in front and 2 on back ... like the PVS-7 ... it could be a few folks get "dizzy" looking thru just one lens ?
Now if it has two on front and two on back, then I'd call it a "bino" ... (versus bi-oc)
I looked thru a set of the Flir version one evening and it was easy on the eyes.....I don’t know how to describe it other than it was a balanced view. Seemed natural. The fella that has them really likes them over a monocular, but all his hunting is from a stand or sitting position, no riding and looking. I think any kind of moving around puts the advantage back to the monocular.....which is part of my hesitancy as I use the buggy a lot. I did not like that Flir is a bit on the bulky side and a 384 I think. Plus a little less eye relief than the Pulsar which is an issue for my glasses.

I've used the Pulsar binos for a couple years and they have been great. Good battery life and charging system.
I use a PVS 14 for navigating to my hunting stand on left eye, if I need a quick look with thermal, I raise the Bino to my right eye for a quick scan.
When I get to my stand the 14 goes up and I do all my looking with the pulsar.
Mine have the laser rangefinder built in and it will range out to 1200 yd's, that's the farthest I've got it to range, more than enough for my night shooting.
I don't use record and all the other features so I ant comment on how well they work.
I'm still glad I dropped the coin ever time I use them.
Also, mine are only the 38s, not the big daddy 50 model.

So I did a trade with another member here on the Hide for the Atlas 50mm. Received last week and have taken them on 2 hunts now.

First impression was they are much smaller and lighter than I was expecting so that was a pleasant surprise. They also function fine with eyeglasses.

First hunt temp was 78 degrees with 93% humidity.....then it rained for an hour. Was set up in a shooting house overlooking a 15 acre field with a feeder. Even with the rain and humidity the picture was very good. Even after the rain moved out I could easily pick out mice in the field. No piggies showed up. I noticed the white hot picture is smooth and very much like an old school black and white tv. Black hot had a better image in the open but with the rain and high grass of the crp field I was using white hot so any critter would show up quickly. Color pallete is kind of cool, but I am undecided if functional.....I guess if one were to nibble on the mushrooms off the cow patties it might be put to better use😁. Edge detect works fine for those who like that function.

Last night was clear. We set up on a road 90 yards from a feeder with pretty thick woods on either side. Picture to the feeder was great, but due to vegetation and the 3.5x base mag I was having some difficulty seeing into the woods. A large group of hogs passed in the woods upwind 20 or so yards from us and I really had trouble tracking them so close. The bushes we were using for cover were making everything a blur. My hunting buddy had my Helion 50mm with the 2.5x mag and was having better luck, but they were close even for that unit.

Swapped to the Hunter 60 prior to the pigs exiting the woods at the feeder. The image better with the Hunter. I could see a noticeable difference going from unit to unit and looking at the same object, being the feeder. There were multiple hits and only one pig laying at the feeder so we had some tracking to do....or rather let the thermals find the bodies. They were in the woods 20-30 yards from the feeders. I could pick them up, but again the base mag along with leaves on the trees and brush made things a little blurry. For this reason I would not want to rely on the unit if my hunting was primarily stalking in any kind of wooded environment. I forgot all about the adjustable focus and wish I would have tried it to see if it would have made a difference.

After we loaded up we exited the woods next to a large cotton field where the closest tree line is 200 yards and furthest 600 yards. The image here was superb and very detailed. I did not check humidity, but temps were the upper 70s.

Overall I am pleased with the Atlas 50mm. I think it works best in open areas or in hunting conditions where one has a direct line of site to a feeder or other bait due to the 3.5x base mag. I probably will not use it in the woods or while driving and scanning with the buggy. It is very comfortable on the eyes. I like being able to see the image with both eyes and I did not have any fatigue after using for a couple hours straight. After 3.5 hours the first set of CR123s went dead. So my only complaint is the battery system.....yes you can run an Anker off the supplied cord but it just seems to add more weight and bulk.

Last thing, in comparison to the Halo 25 the image is not quite the same to me. The Atlas seems to have a more subdued look thru the eyepieces......best way I can describe it.

So I did a trade with another member here on the Hide for the Atlas 50mm. Received last week and have taken them on 2 hunts now.

First impression was they are much smaller and lighter than I was expecting so that was a pleasant surprise. They also function fine with eyeglasses.

First hunt temp was 78 degrees with 93% humidity.....then it rained for an hour. Was set up in a shooting house overlooking a 15 acre field with a feeder. Even with the rain and humidity the picture was very good. Even after the rain moved out I could easily pick out mice in the field. No piggies showed up. I noticed the white hot picture is smooth and very much like an old school black and white tv. Black hot had a better image in the open but with the rain and high grass of the crp field I was using white hot so any critter would show up quickly. Color pallete is kind of cool, but I am undecided if functional.....I guess if one were to nibble on the mushrooms off the cow patties it might be put to better use😁. Edge detect works fine for those who like that function.

Last night was clear. We set up on a road 90 yards from a feeder with pretty thick woods on either side. Picture to the feeder was great, but due to vegetation and the 3.5x base mag I was having some difficulty seeing into the woods. A large group of hogs passed in the woods upwind 20 or so yards from us and I really had trouble tracking them so close. The bushes we were using for cover were making everything a blur. My hunting buddy had my Helion 50mm with the 2.5x mag and was having better luck, but they were close even for that unit.

Swapped to the Hunter 60 prior to the pigs exiting the woods at the feeder. The image better with the Hunter. I could see a noticeable difference going from unit to unit and looking at the same object, being the feeder. There were multiple hits and only one pig laying at the feeder so we had some tracking to do....or rather let the thermals find the bodies. They were in the woods 20-30 yards from the feeders. I could pick them up, but again the base mag along with leaves on the trees and brush made things a little blurry. For this reason I would not want to rely on the unit if my hunting was primarily stalking in any kind of wooded environment. I forgot all about the adjustable focus and wish I would have tried it to see if it would have made a difference.

After we loaded up we exited the woods next to a large cotton field where the closest tree line is 200 yards and furthest 600 yards. The image here was superb and very detailed. I did not check humidity, but temps were the upper 70s.

Overall I am pleased with the Atlas 50mm. I think it works best in open areas or in hunting conditions where one has a direct line of site to a feeder or other bait due to the 3.5x base mag. I probably will not use it in the woods or while driving and scanning with the buggy. It is very comfortable on the eyes. I like being able to see the image with both eyes and I did not have any fatigue after using for a couple hours straight. After 3.5 hours the first set of CR123s went dead. So my only complaint is the battery system.....yes you can run an Anker off the supplied cord but it just seems to add more weight and bulk.

Last thing, in comparison to the Halo 25 the image is not quite the same to me. The Atlas seems to have a more subdued look thru the eyepieces......best way I can describe it.

Atlas has a VGA screen. Halo (at least the LR) has the better OLED, which is what the Hunter has, and also why the Hunter would have a nicer image.

Senopex Titan on Alibaba.com has pretty good reviews. I can´t imagine it being worse than the Pulsar binoculars.

I popped these up in a WTT ad on the PX. They’re awesome. A little bit of a strange configuration, but 640px and a nice display. PERFECT for long durations / surveillance from a fixed position. You don’t get fatigued using them like you do a monocular.

Jeffl838 I didn´t mean that Pulsar binoculars are especially bad but Trijicon and N-Vision are still using the best sensors. I believe that the Senopex Titan performs at about the same level as the Pulsar. One review compared these two and went to say the Senopex thermals are clearly better than Pulsars but that was before the Pulsar 2.0 improvement.

Little late now but I LOVE the pulsar lrf Binos. I own a halo lr but went with the pulsar Binos over the n-vision do to its better battery system and ranging capabilities. It was a tough decision for me as well.

Go with the Pulsar. You won't be disappointed by that. If you're going hunting I suggest you get some Bushnell Falcon binoculars.