• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thermal choice; Trijicon or?

clubmanager

Private
Minuteman
Jul 12, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
I’m still debating all kinds of things here. Considering I want a 640, is a used Trijicon much better than say a Bering Optics Super Yoter both in 35mm? It’s a ReapIR and in great used condition with unused warranty. But…..my question is this, is the tech as good considering it’s a few years old?
I really don’t care about different colors, video out, WiFi, etc. I just want a really good, clear picture at 200 yards. I may in fact go with something cheaper but starting my search at the top and where I can afford it; can’t get a new Trijicon.
I asked a thermal question in another thread with a budget if $3K which I’ve been able to stretch now to $5K.
I’m a bit of a Trijicon fan and don’t want to weigh too heavily in the brand name on this. It’s too expensive a decision so am seeking experienced opinions.

iRay, Trijicon, Yoter, NVision — you’ll be very happy with any of them. As you mentioned, stick with 640.

Arguments to be made for all of them. They will continue to depreciate as well as get better and cheaper every year, so pick one that checks your most important boxes and fits comfortably into your budget and let ‘er rip.

@kirsch is your friend here.

You have a lot of options, just depends on what you want to do with them which is what will dictate what would be best for you. There are a lot of good resources on here.

With the following questions answered, then the choices become clearer:

1) What/how will the thermal be used? For instance, for calling coyotes, stalking hogs, hunting over bait, etc
2) What type of terrain will it be used in?
3) Closest, Longest, and typical shot distances?
4) Budget? Sounds like $3-5K

With these four questions answered, a person can get down pretty quickly what can fit your needs better.

Per your questions, the Trijicons have a BAE core in them. The tech of this sensor/core is still very good. Trijicon is getting behind in other features that you mentioned you don't need. The comparisons of a Trijcon/Super Yoter for instance would be:

Super Yoter Advantages:
* 4 year, transferrable warranty
* Cost
* Lighter-Weight
* Recording, WiFi, color reticles, color backgrounds, auto-NUC, focusable
* Humidity has less impact on image

Trijicon:
* BAE core vs iRay core
* Military Grade
* Very good resale
* Very good image (especially in lower humidity)

Let's just say for example your needs are calling coyotes. If the budget is $5K and you don't have a thermal scanner, you are way better off getting two less expensive thermals than one really good 640 scope only, etc. I will PM you my cell number to talk more in detail.

Reactions: gamboolman
Thanks y'all.....I'll keep reading and am in no hurry. I think I just need to develop my needs/wants here first. The rest will fall into place I think. My gut is telling me that I'm best off with something lower priced in 336 and getting both an gun optic and a scanner. I really, really want to get a Trijicon I found but I hate the fact that they don't have auto-nuc. I have had a Reap and a Flir Thermosight in the past so know a wee bit about what I don't like anyway ;).
Edit: after some reading, Auto Nuc might not be 'all that' afterall.

Last edited:
Edit: after some reading, Auto Nuc might not be 'all that' afterall.
Depends heavily on how it’s done/integrated. On my FLIR I didn’t love it, it would kick in at inopportune times and really glitched the view for a couple seconds. On my Tig it’s hardly noticeable.

I’ve got a Trijicon reap-35mm that I’d consider selling you. It would be In your price range as well.

Thanks but I want something with a warranty. This is a very large purchase for me and I want to get it right; regretfully, the Trijicon warranty does not transfer.