• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Thermal Clip On.... Mh25 and Eotech Xlr

B.Bates

Gunny Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2005
Palatka, Fl
I wanted to get some thoughts and advice.

I have recently gotten into NV, but mainly just goggles and lasers shooting up close, being a precision guy at heart i want to extend my capablities.

uses are for hunting, shooting and general preparedness.

I have been back and forth on clip ons but i think i have settled on getting the RH25 to use as a handheld scanner, and then to put in-front of my vortex 1-10 on my 12.5 6 arc for a lighter and more run and gun night rifle.

then i am looking to get the eotech xlr big boy clip on to put infront of my k3-18 and k5-25's for longer range work.

i also do have a raptar for rangefinding duties.

thoughts on this set up? i feel it gives me full night capabilities and the image quality of the eotech will allow me to shoot at the range and practice with the set up.

Reactions: Evolution 9
That sounds like a pretty capable setup. 2 thoughts to consider that may or may not matter for your situation:

1. I’m a huge fan of clip-ons… unreasonably so. But for many situations, a stand alone thermal sight is much better. Better for weight. Better for center of balance. Better for image (in many cases). Better for FOV. An NVision NOX35 or Halo LR is simply a superior optic for most circumstances as compared to ANY clip-on. Just evaluate if the clip-on route is necessary for both thermals.

2. Is your terrain long range enough to justify a big long distance clip on? If so, you may want to consider a scanner with more magnification than the RH25. When using your RH25 for scanning while your big clip on is on your rifle, you will likely see many things that the RH25 “sees” but can’t identify. You’ll spend lots of time and effort switching to your long range setup to constantly identify things because your RH25 has no real magnification.

For this reason, I scan with a NOX35 when using a clip on in long distance areas. It saves a lot of wasted effort.

Again, these only matter if they apply to your area and hunting style… I’ve found that hunting style/expectations make more difference in choosing a thermal that anything else.

Good luck!

evolution, yes i have considered a dedicated thermal.

2 things changed that

1) I got a call from a buddy dealer about the Xlr that he recently got in for someone else who went a different route, so i have the opportunity to now buy it. wasn't something i was really considering but under the circumstance i am now.

2) I don't know if i am ready to have a dedicated night gun with a standalone thermal. i am kinda of set it and forget it guy and still want to shoot these rifles in the day time and will shoot them alot more during the day than at night, so having a day scope and clip on is appealing.

but yes i have considered the Nox35 and its something i could see myself adding down the road

I certainly wasn’t trying to get you to NOT buy a clip on. You just might get more value out of one clip on and one low magnification thermal scope than 2 clip ons.

Having hunted both dedicated and clip-on, I keep both options, but generally gravitate toward the clip-on, because my favorite gun can pull double duty.

Be aware, thermal in most modest budgets (<$15k) is not a long range game, generally speaking. I've run a clip-on in front of many optics now and believe the best - at least for me - is something with a lower end below 3X and a max upper end of about 10X. And 10X is usable, but not awesome. Also, longer range is possible if A. PID is solid, B. You aren't shooting at small things.

Thermal hunting is absolute titties, but there is no replacement - for me - of movement under NODs. Figure out what you eventually want to run, then build it in steps. If you cut corners in this, you will be buying again.

It is an expensive hobby, but is very rewarding.

Reactions: Evolution 9
Having hunted both dedicated and clip-on, I keep both options, but generally gravitate toward the clip-on, because my favorite gun can pull double duty.

Be aware, thermal in most modest budgets (<$15k) is not a long range game, generally speaking. I've run a clip-on in front of many optics now and believe the best - at least for me - is something with a lower end below 3X and a max upper end of about 10X. And 10X is usable, but not awesome. Also, longer range is possible if A. PID is solid, B. You aren't shooting at small things.

Thermal hunting is absolute titties, but there is no replacement - for me - of movement under NODs. Figure out what you eventually want to run, then build it in steps. If you cut corners in this, you will be buying again.

Rancid—-
Recommendations for a handheld or helmet mounted scanner to complement a rifle mounted Nox 35 ?

That would be better coming from someone else. I started with a bering super hogster and have now moved that to scanner duty.

Whether helmet or hand-held works best is entirely dependent on how you hunt...stalking vs stationary.

if it were me....i would look for something in the 50mm range with 3-4x base mag. alot of people get worked up about the clip on thing and it is great but there is no free lunch. its alot like a nv clip on vs dedicated nv optic. theres some res and image loss going through multiple layers of glass. a good mil reticle in thermals now like the halo or even the newer trijicon leaves you the ability to hold dope like normal and within the common sense distance of thermal for true ID and accurate shooting.

for most hunting i think a bolt rifle with a dedicated thermal wins over everything at least for me. i dont shoot at sounders of hogs at 50yds tho. i prefer the clean image of a good 640 50mm optic along with the reduced weight. if your are covering alot of ground or in and out of a vehicle all night pulling sets a big ass 20lb clip on rifle sucks.

head mounted thermal like nox35/18 or rh25 even is solid for scanning. i feel every thermal should be able to do double duty as a weapon sight for back up use. its for detection and if you have enough experience you will be good at ID through other methods beyond shape.

Point taken but I’m talking about a near $15k clip on. It’s stupid clear at 10x. And works up to 20x

What leads you to believe I’m trying to cut corner.

I went with the RH25 due to it versatility. Mostly for handheld scanning, but now that I have all the pieces to helmet mount it with a PVS14 (using it on either eye) I intend to do some more practice this way. However, being a huge Eotech fan I'd like nothing more than to pair it up to my EXPS3, but the front battery compartment keeps it from getting close enough to actually see thru both devices clearly - even using a Unity riser.

Mating the RH up to a LVPO is much, much easier and pretty cool when you have decent magnification. Someone above stated the RH had no magnification but it does have Digital 4x zoom capability using the buttons on top - or bottom if mounted upside down on helmet. To me its the perfect device.

There are many more RH "Pros" here who can dive much deeper into such inquiries. French1966 is hands down one of the most knowledgeable I know!

Merry Christmas Gents!