• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Thermal Clip On vs Dedicated?

JRaven

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
  • Mar 4, 2013
    ATX
    I have been pretty successful using a PVS14 on a OPS-Core with an ATPIAL on a suppressed 12.5" .308 to hunt hogs and predators in the Texas Hill Country.

I picked up a Armasight Apollo Mini a few years ago for a thermal to use on 16" .308. I am pretty underwhelmed with it compared to the videos I have been watching of everyone's thermals. But it has been decently effective.

Most of my shots are inside of 250 yards with lots of brush.

I was looking for a better clip on but started looking at dedicated thermal - first Pulsar XG50 then the N-Vision Halo & Halo LR.

N-Vision worth the extra $ over Pulsar?

How does the Halo LR work on shorter shots in the 50-125 yard range? Is worth ponying up the extra $ if the most of shorts are inside 250 yards?

Are there any clip-on thermals that are at least comparable to the dedicated thermals?

Thank you.

No reason to NOT have a dedicated night gun with dedicated thermal scope and IR laser/illuminator — UNLESS you travel or want a single do-it-all boomstick for the mythical SHTF. In that case I recommend the single best TWS — the Halo-LR. Limited FOV on your gun is not a problem, since it’s not a scanner/spotter. A PVS/COTI or MH25 or NOX is what you want for that job. It works just fine at 50 yards.

Reactions: mikefraz
    No reason to NOT have a dedicated night gun with dedicated thermal scope and IR laser/illuminator — UNLESS you travel or want a single do-it-all boomstick for the mythical SHTF. In that case I recommend the single best TWS — the Halo-LR. Limited FOV on your gun is not a problem, since it’s not a scanner/spotter. A PVS/COTI or MH25 or NOX is what you want for that job. It works just fine at 50 yards.

The infamous EOW SHTF one rifle to end all other rifles. The stuff legends are made out of - let me know when you find It.

Screen Shot 2020-09-13 at 2.11.16 PM.png

Halo LR. Check.