• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thermal hunting, scanner or weapon mount first?

Chips26

Private
Minuteman
Jun 11, 2019
So I'm ramping up to purchase my first thermal after the holidays. I've pretty much got it narrowed down to what I want to get, but I've only got the budget to purchase one of these this year, not both. I'm pretty set on a helmet mounted thermal and not really interested in the bigger handhelds.

1. Iray ML19 w/TW bump (possibly AGM StingIR-384 but havent seen any footage or reviews on this yet)

2. Super Hogster weapon mount

I've been reading around for awhile and the verdict it seems to be a big PITA to just use a weapon mount to scan with. I hunt in KS and MO with a mix of open rolling hills and timber, usually max visual range out to 500 yards. KS I am still limited as of now since I mostly hunt WIHA and with KS DNR infinite wisdom NVG/thermals are not allowed on those tracts. MO allows visible light so I thought about using that as a stopgap for the weapon until I can get a weapon thermal, KS its a no go on visible light. I dont have a tripod and dont really have plans on getting one anytime soon, I do sits with shooting sticks and am pretty comfortable with that.

So what should I blow my hard earned money on first? Am I going to be screwed using a non thermal weapon sight starting out?

A handheld or helmet thermal will be the best investment you can get for hunting. Scanning with the weapon sucks. You can get a really good thermal scanner and cheap out on a sightmark wraith or similar NV if you had to getting started.

Still be capable of spotting anything and shooting several hundred yards will be easily doable with cheaper NV on the weapon

Reactions: YotaEer
Chips

I hunt similar terrain. I recently bought a steiner S35 for the rifle. I use a PVS-14 for scanning and walking. I’m comfortable with that set up, tho a helmet mounted thermal would be helpful when sitting in a blind.

My next purchase will be a tripod for the rifle. The S35 can remote to a tablet for scanning. Tripod will alleviate some of the being on the rifle all the time.

Been using thermal for 9 yrs. When shooting hogs you need the scope to get multiple hogs that a night vision won’t allow. After 8 yrs I got a thermal monocular and makes hunting so much nicer. I would still get a scope first. It’s a pia to scan with gun but need it to shoot unlessshooting codes and need only 1 shot And can use night vision scope. Get a cheap thermal monocular if need to

What about the iRay RH25? Able to scan, helmet mount and clip on as well. Works great for me!

I would buy a single unit with lower base mag for both scanning and weapon mounted.. not ideal but, will help you determine how much you enjoy going out and what works/doesn't work for you. 3x is a little tight for double-duty.

I've got a 2x hogster R with upgraded LaRue mount I've considered selling.. works well for both scanning and shooting if you are interested.