• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Thermal IFF beacon?

mikefraz

Private
Minuteman
Dec 24, 2013
It seems like there’s a plethora of IR beacons/strobes on the market from a couple bucks to a couple hundred dollars. Doing a quick search for a thermal IFF beacon on the other hand only turned up a couple results and I’m not sure if any were for sale to civilians.

Seeing how identifying friend or foe with thermal is more difficult than under NV, you’d think that IFF beacons would be more popular. Or is it a technology/development cost issue?

When I think about it up front it’s pretty silly since no beacon could possibly shine brighter than an actual human.

However, a beacon would be kinda useful if it flashed and I could pick up the general vicinity of another hunter before I accidentally cover them with my muzzle.

A lot of average hunters just have a thermal mounted weapon sight and that’s it. If you’ve got 3-4 guys shooting at hogs running all over the place it gets wild at times. I trust the guys I hunt with, but we sometimes bring guests.

Reactions: WhereNow&How
When I think about it up front it’s pretty silly since no beacon could possibly shine brighter than an actual human.

However, a beacon would be kinda useful if it flashed and I could pick up the general vicinity of another hunter before I accidentally cover them with my muzzle.

A lot of average hunters just have a thermal mounted weapon sight and that’s it. If you’ve got 3-4 guys shooting at hogs running all over the place it gets wild at times. I trust the guys I hunt with, but we sometimes bring guests.

Yes, it’s not that the beacon is needed to just be seen. It’s needed to make sure that the heat signature over there “is with us”.

Ghetto solution might be a handwarmer taped to the outside of a helmet.

Ghetto solution might be a handwarmer taped to the outside of a helmet.
That definitely crossed my mind, and I know that people tape them to targets to zero their thermal scopes, but I’m looking for something a little mite “highspeed, low drag” than that, if possible.

Yeah after our gay orgy I’m gonna spot/ do a photo op of the wild amounts of hot bodily fluid ooozing from/ dripping from horchatas pretty new mouth , (I pitch, he catches) and I’ll make sure his new toy “the booty beacon” works as well through handheld mode with the CRATOS.
😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
*Narrators voice* And everyone was grossed out after reading that...*Narrators voice*

52815D95-C6F5-421A-BB22-88DC6437370F.gif

Reactions: Eliteuas
Just take the old lady out with you. There will be enough hot air coming out of her mouth about skeeters, jiggers, snakes, I'm tired and sweating my ass off to throw out a thermal signature a mile long that can be picked up and recognized as such from outer space.

On second thoughts that Steiner Horta thingy probably a better idea. :LOL:

In my experience, a $9 firefly and a 9v battery did everything we needed, every time. If we were using thermal, it was correlated with FLIR or optical before it got called in. Hard to beat those little IR firefly strobes.

My only nitpick with them is the lack of switching. I'd love to have a Phoenix type beacon I could hook up to the battery and leave connected, then flip a switch to turn off and on as needed. I've actually used a MS2000M velcro'd to my helmet instead of a Phoenix just so I could switch it off and on as needed without having to dick around with a 9v.

Reactions: TheOfficeT-Rex
I've actually handled those steiner iff beacons and i'm 99% sure they are only detectable by MWIR sensors.

If this is for hunting in a group, I don't think a thermal strobe would help. The kind of person that would pull the trigger accidentally on a human silhouette when he's looking for a pig silhouette won't be deterred by a beacon.

If this is for sNiPeR, uniform equipment functions as iff in thermal-land. ie think twice before shooting someone with a helmet and plate carrier on, especially if he's carrying a XXXXX or bearing a YYYYY.

Outside of the Rockies, every time I have hunted in this great country I have assumed some jackass was going to shoot me because he sensed something That might have been a derrrrr.

Just connect two 9v batteries together and tape them to your helmet. They’ll be hot so long as they don’t explode.

I know I read that part of the post wrong thermal bacon mmmm that sounds wonderful you shoot it it starts cooking its self just peel and eat . salads were meant for rabbits lol.

I've actually handled those steiner iff beacons and i'm 99% sure they are only detectable by MWIR sensors.

If this is for hunting in a group, I don't think a thermal strobe would help. The kind of person that would pull the trigger accidentally on a human silhouette when he's looking for a pig silhouette won't be deterred by a beacon.

If this is for sNiPeR, uniform equipment functions as iff in thermal-land. ie think twice before shooting someone with a helmet and plate carrier on, especially if he's carrying a XXXXX or bearing a YYYYY.
My thoughts exactly. I think the whole effort is addressing the wrong problem.

Don't address the wrong fucking problem.

My thoughts exactly. I think the whole effort is addressing the wrong problem.

Don't address the wrong fucking problem.

To be fair the Steiner product was designed for ground to air deconfliction

I want to reiterate I’m like 99% sure the Steiner strobe is for Mwir sensors which is basically unobtanium

And IF you’re in the market for an Mwir beacon, that pictured tan one is for helmets and is machined out of metal, which adds to the price.

Steiner makes a plastic one that the Air Force uses that’s much smaller and probably much cheaper. With a non helmet shape, it’s a lot more adaptable to different uses.

I’m like rubber, you’re like glue. Whatever you say bounces off of me and sticks to you. :p

I’m like rubber, you’re like glue. Whatever you say bounces off of me and sticks to you. :p
Haha, don't get me wrong, I'm all about strobes, but I think the only way to get a strobe that can be picked up with LWIR is something that actually pulses heat and I'm not interested in carrying heaters - especially in the summer.

• Love
Reactions: TheHorta