• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thermal Leveling - Scope Body or Display???

Dutch260

Online Training Member
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2017
Katy, TX
Hey Guys, my brother just got a thermal (Pulsar Thermion 2 LRF XP50) and brought it over to help him mount it up. Went through the normal leveling process as I would with any other optic and leveled the rifle and then proceeded to level the scope to the rifle. However, when we fired it up the digital display is now canted quite a bit.

I searched the interwebs looking for any others with this experience and searched the manual to see if there was a way to rotate the display clockwise or counter clockwise in small increments but came up empty handed. Am I missing something?

As this is the first experience with a thermal for either one of us, do you level the scope via the display and not worry about obvious cant to the scope body?

Thermion scopes have a side incline option to make sure the scope is level when mounted.
Side Incline
Click on the Show device diagram > for the scope diagram.
I always use the biggest crosshair reticle for leveling.

SJC

Reactions: diggler1833
Thermion scopes have a side incline option to make sure the scope is level when mounted.
Side Incline
Click on the Show device diagram > for the scope diagram.
I always use the biggest crosshair reticle for leveling.

SJC

Is that a way to actually adjust side incline or is it just a way to turn the indication of side incline on or off on the display?

Yeah I noticed those arrows and you have to have it canted quite a bit before those show up on the display. My thing is, when the scope body is leveled to the rifle, and with that tall ass battery turret and the LRF up front, its super easy to eyeball when it's level. But when you actually look through the scope it looks like a picture frame that is tilted on the wall. Is there a way to digitally fix that like rotating the picture like you would a jpeg image on the computer? Or does it mean the display screen is not mounted square in the scope body which is why both (scope body & Display aren't level together).

Yeah I noticed those arrows and you have to have it canted quite a bit before those show up on the display. My thing is, when the scope body is leveled to the rifle, and with that tall ass battery turret and the LRF up front, its super easy to eyeball when it's level. But when you actually look through the scope it looks like a picture frame that is tilted on the wall. Is there a way to digitally fix that like rotating the picture like you would a jpeg image on the computer? Or does it mean the display screen is not mounted square in the scope body which is why both (scope body & Display aren't level together).
There's no end user way to rotate the display without taking the scope apart, voiding the warranty.
Make a confirmed level horizontal line on a wall or target, secure the leveled rifle in a rest and adjust the horizontal crosshair of the H50i reticle to match the leveled horizontal line, tighten the rings.
If the caps of the scope are canted when the rifle and crosshair's are leveled, the scope will need to be sent back for adjustment.
If you can live with the canted scope caps , I would fire some shot's to make sure that the display doesn't move during recoil.

SJC

Reactions: doubloon
Thanks @shoots100 , my brother is just gonna box everything back up and take it to the dealer where he got it. I mean we didn't even torque it down into rings before we noticed how canted the image was in relation to the scope body. I feel like if my brother would have asked the guy at the shop to help him mount it that thermal wouldn't have left the store and would have been swapped for another and the original sent back to Pulsar.

At least that's what I feel would have or should happen when he takes it back. Thanks for the responses!

Thanks @shoots100 , my brother is just gonna box everything back up and take it to the dealer where he got it. I mean we didn't even torque it down into rings before we noticed how canted the image was in relation to the scope body. I feel like if my brother would have asked the guy at the shop to help him mount it that thermal wouldn't have left the store and would have been swapped for another and the original sent back to Pulsar.

At least that's what I feel would have or should happen when he takes it back. Thanks for the responses!
At least your brother has the option to go to the shop he purchased it from.
This isn't always the case and usually it's a drawn out process to get a replacement.
It's the first time I'm hearing about a tilted display in a brand new thermal optic.
Always a first time for everything.

SJC

Reactions: doubloon