• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Thermal monocular suggestions?

Chernobyl

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jan 29, 2019
Houston, Tx
Looking for a great thermal monocular. Price is not necessarily something I’m worried about but a great monocular under 8k would be nice. This will only be used as a handheld monocular and not installed on a rifle. Any suggestions?

Nox-18
Has BAE OASYS core (now renamed to "mini-thermal")
manual focus
18650 battery setup in the box (costs $200 extra for patrol)
Half the size and weight of the patrol
You can remove the weapons and helmet mounts since you won't be using them
Also a great light TWS, but you won't be using that either !
Mil grade tough
Made in USA
5 year warranty

Bering Optics Phenom 640
Pulsar Helion 2 XP50
NOX 35 or 18

It would help to understand the use case. Trying to ID hogs at distance vs hunting tight cover for coyotes is very different.

I have a Nox 18, and it will meet your needs. I looked at the Pulsar Accolades (in person at a demo), but this is superior IMHO due to its core. I use this for driving the ATV at night or stalking, and then I switch to the Halo LR.

Can’t believe that no one has asked how you’ll be using it. What kind of distances, helmet mounted or just handheld, etc.

If you are going to helmet mount it id say Nox 18 is about your best bet. Especially because of its versatility if you later decide to rifle mount it too.

If you just want a handheld I wouldn’t get the Nox. The 1x isn’t great for looking across fields, etc if you aren’t trying to walk around or drive with it.

I had a cheaper pulsar handheld before the Nox and there are a lot of times I miss the 2.5 native mag if I’m just scanning with it.

Plus, the Nox says it’s 1x but unless you are up pretty close to objects it is more like .7-.8 when you get about 25+ yards away from you. I can open both eyes and the actual object is larger than what I see through the viewfinder. I was pretty disappointed about that.

Reactions: mikefraz
I’m somewhat of a fan of the Trijicon/BAE stuff when it comes to monoculars.
B6BC7564-2E4F-4A9A-87FA-4C772BDEA0AA.jpeg

But I also like the Flir M18 Recon as well.
C02050F7-DFC6-4B17-9CBF-4ED02DD949A8.jpeg

(3x magnifier installed)

Reactions: stefan73 and EWS6