• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Thermal/NV setup. Seeking advice on ideal setup.

STI_1911_Guy

Sergeant
Supporter
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 1, 2011
Michigan
Ive looked around and read all sorts of posts and articles on reviews of different NV and thermal optics so I'm not looking for any brand or model comparisons. What I would like to know from guys that have used NV and or Thermal much more than I have, what is a good setup for coyote hunting mostly open fields some woods at night? By that I mean would it be better to just have a night vision scope or clip on and use a thermal monocular handheld or helmet mount for scanning or the other way around or what combination? Lots of factors such as cost and quality of either come into play, I understand but I am more curios from a practical use perspective what would compliment each other best ideally. Maybe I am way off or am being to vague but I'm wanting to get into this a little more and would like input from those who do it or have done it.

This will be applicable to MY hunting style. You’ll have to decide if it makes sense for yours.

I’ve used several nv and thermal setups.

Hands down, I’ve bagged more coyotes with a simple Reap-ir on a 14.5” recce type gun than any other setup… by a LONG ways.

Every other setup (scan first, etc.) had advantages, but ultimately just added unnecessary steps in the “kill chain”.

Scan with rifle mounted Reap-ir. See coyote. Shoot coyote. Done.

Locating the coyote with a scanner is cool, and saves the biceps, but then you have to switch to the main gun and find it in the thermal again. Not hard at all, but it takes a couple seconds. Now the coyote is running and your hit percentage just went WAY down.

Some swear by scanning first. You’ll have to decide for yourself. Just don’t buy the claim that it’s dangerous to scan with a rifle mounted thermal. In several years, I’ve yet to SEE, none the less MUZZLE a single human in open ranch lands at 2am.

Rifle mounted range finders are sweet, and will allow a few hits that wouldn’t be possible without them. Pretty spendy for occasional benefit 🤷‍♂️

NV blows by comparison. I’ve found numerous coyotes with a thermal scanner and then brought up a nv equipped rifle, only to never see the coyote (this is with really good night vision).

The cheapest I’d consider is the Super Hogster (3k). Its REALLY capable, and nothing cheaper has appeared usable to me for open terrain. I only use BAE core units because the small difference is worth it to me, but side by side with my buddy’s SH, it’s really hard to justify the price difference.

@Evolution 9 do you scan from a tripod ever?

I’m just getting into it, but I’ll share my setup along with pros and cons. I’m running an A4 type setup with a 3-18 and PVS30 with a LUNA 3 because coyotes don’t shoot back. On the helmet, I bridged a PVS14 and NOX18.

I hunt Midwest fields so it’s either flat for 1,000 yds or a ditch with shots from in your lap to 500.

Advantages
- Thermal is the biggest advantage. I saw more dogs than anyone else (DTVNS, cheap nv scope and a weapon mounted thermal)
- Accurate
- Dual band, can spot and designate for buddies
- Positive PID at distance
- In a pinch, could aim with the laser instead of looking through the scope (need to make sure LUNA is centered on reticle or you’re just shooting for fun)
- If there’s no action, you can sit there and occupy yourself looking at the scenery with your naked eye, through NV and thermal
- LUNA lights eyes up a looong ways away
- Head mounted thermal in particular - I saw 2 dogs I would have missed with a thermal scope (this might have changed with a tripod) just because it was “always on”
- Once you’re used to dual band, you see everything in thermal and if you or someone lights something up with IR you see that through the thermal image

Disadvantages
- HEAVY (rifle and helmet)
- Takes a second to rotate pods to get into the scope
- More expensive than a dedicated sight

Takeaways
I think a tripod would make my life easier, whenever I find a fence post that is in the right spot, I enjoy that stand a lot more. I’ve thought about putting the 30 on a lighter gun but this 20” has always treated me right.

I don’t think I would trade the NOX for anything. It’s nice mounted on a rifle but it’s awesome on a helmet. Massive FOV compared to a dedicated sight so you can scan a hillside in a glance.

For the group I hunt with, having an IR laser to designate is super helpful. On two different stands, I lit up dogs with IR (after detecting in thermal) and one of the guys closer was able to make the shot as he moved through. Why didn’t I just shoot first? Transitioning to the scope is a little slower… but I don’t think I would trade the helmet NOX for anything (others experience may differ).

The single largest benefit from the NOX is detection. If an ECOTI or similar unit would detect a coyote in grass at 300-500 yds, I’d probably rather run binos with an ECOTI. I have zero experience to know if that’s reasonable or not. I do know the NOX lets me see deer 800 yds away and know what I am looking at.

The only thing missing from my setup is a weapon mounted LRF. This will come in time.

Curious to hear others’ experiences. Thermals are getting to where they can PID dogs at pretty extreme distances so you get a lot of benefits there.

Thanks for the reply’s!

Sounding like thermal is the popular option for everything except navigation which is understandable even with my limited experience.

Reactions: rlsmith1
Move with helmet mounted NV, scan and shoot with rifle mounted thermal. Primos trigger stick tripod works super as most of my shots are standing.

@Evolution 9 do you scan from a tripod ever?

I’m just getting into it, but I’ll share my setup along with pros and cons. I’m running an A4 type setup with a 3-18 and PVS30 with a LUNA 3 because coyotes don’t shoot back. On the helmet, I bridged a PVS14 and NOX18.

I hunt Midwest fields so it’s either flat for 1,000 yds or a ditch with shots from in your lap to 500.

Advantages
- Thermal is the biggest advantage. I saw more dogs than anyone else (DTVNS, cheap nv scope and a weapon mounted thermal)
- Accurate
- Dual band, can spot and designate for buddies
- Positive PID at distance
- In a pinch, could aim with the laser instead of looking through the scope (need to make sure LUNA is centered on reticle or you’re just shooting for fun)
- If there’s no action, you can sit there and occupy yourself looking at the scenery with your naked eye, through NV and thermal
- LUNA lights eyes up a looong ways away
- Head mounted thermal in particular - I saw 2 dogs I would have missed with a thermal scope (this might have changed with a tripod) just because it was “always on”
- Once you’re used to dual band, you see everything in thermal and if you or someone lights something up with IR you see that through the thermal image

Disadvantages
- HEAVY (rifle and helmet)
- Takes a second to rotate pods to get into the scope
- More expensive than a dedicated sight

Takeaways
I think a tripod would make my life easier, whenever I find a fence post that is in the right spot, I enjoy that stand a lot more. I’ve thought about putting the 30 on a lighter gun but this 20” has always treated me right.

I don’t think I would trade the NOX for anything. It’s nice mounted on a rifle but it’s awesome on a helmet. Massive FOV compared to a dedicated sight so you can scan a hillside in a glance.

For the group I hunt with, having an IR laser to designate is super helpful. On two different stands, I lit up dogs with IR (after detecting in thermal) and one of the guys closer was able to make the shot as he moved through. Why didn’t I just shoot first? Transitioning to the scope is a little slower… but I don’t think I would trade the helmet NOX for anything (others experience may differ).

The single largest benefit from the NOX is detection. If an ECOTI or similar unit would detect a coyote in grass at 300-500 yds, I’d probably rather run binos with an ECOTI. I have zero experience to know if that’s reasonable or not. I do know the NOX lets me see deer 800 yds away and know what I am looking at.

The only thing missing from my setup is a weapon mounted LRF. This will come in time.

Curious to hear others’ experiences. Thermals are getting to where they can PID dogs at pretty extreme distances so you get a lot of benefits there.

if youre not hunting from a tripod at night youre crazy...

dual band on helmet is king to me. we hunt open terrain and kill a hundred or so coyotes a season. were in and out of trucks all night making stands. scanning not only while on stand but scanning and observing walking in is by far most important. if you are not doing it i guarantee you are missing animals, pushing them or not even ever seeing them. we also scan while driving pretty much constantly. alot of kills made by spotting coyotes crossing fields or standing near the road etc.

for shooting, a good thermal sight is tough to beat. many like a nv clip on for positive ID and theyre not wrong. i will always have a clip on but run a thermal on the gun. with lots of experience and time in field you can ID animals even house dogs and fox from coyotes. buy the best you can afford in any of it. if you dont youre only wasting your money and the upgrade will be coming or you will just say fuck it and quit.

I chatted with my Pulsar rep and he replied:

"It would all come down to budget in the end. The best set up would be using a thermal bino or monocular with a thermal rifle scope or clip on. That’s going to be the most expensive end but the most effective. Pulsar does offer different price ranges on scopes and monoculars that are thermal to get the best bang for his buck. Having a thermal monocular is key because it will pick up a coyote in this situation a lot quicker compared to just looking through a night vision scope. Pairing a nv vision scope such as the Pulsar Digex C50 and a Pulsar Axion or Helion is a great et up too to use the thermal for scanning and quick detection and then using the digital night vision scope for the shot. Again, the biggest thing will come down to budget to be pointed in the right direction and the optimal set up."

dual band on helmet is king to me. we hunt open terrain and kill a hundred or so coyotes a season. were in and out of trucks all night making stands. scanning not only while on stand but scanning and observing walking in is by far most important. if you are not doing it i guarantee you are missing animals, pushing them or not even ever seeing them. we also scan while driving pretty much constantly. alot of kills made by spotting coyotes crossing fields or standing near the road etc.

for shooting, a good thermal sight is tough to beat. many like a nv clip on for positive ID and theyre not wrong. i will always have a clip on but run a thermal on the gun. with lots of experience and time in field you can ID animals even house dogs and fox from coyotes. buy the best you can afford in any of it. if you dont youre only wasting your money and the upgrade will be coming or you will just say fuck it and quit.
I’ve been called worse than crazy!

Have you found an ECOTI works well enough to detect with its 640 sensor? Or what’s your dual band setup?

OP - what kind of budget are we talking?

I’ve used several combinations of things. Here’s my opinion on best to worst combinations I’ve used in terms of ease of use and effectiveness.

1. Best - dual band on a helmet (NV/thermal) and a dedicated thermal on the rifle.

2. Better - NV monocular with thermal scanner and dedicated thermal sight.

3. Good - NV monocular with dedicated thermal sight

4. Just ok - thermal scanner with NV monocular and IR laser on rifle.

5. Kinda sucked - NV with IR on rifle

Thermal scanner with a thermal sight. I would like to try helmet mounted but have not yet. Scanning with a rifle sucks. I missed seeing lots of dogs until they were running off before I got a scanner.

Reactions: YotaEer
It depends actually on your hunting situation. No joke. Some people hunt - some people predator control towards a real goal/outcome.

Do you HAVE to hunt on the run? High mobility? Dual bands up top work good for MY brain - but some people it FUCKS up bad.

Hunting in the field static I like to have a guy with a NOX-18 on a rifle and a thermal clip on. All gas guns. Wide FOV and Narrow FOV +++ range.
I use IR lasers to cross-designate and it helps a lot.

The other thing that helps if you are doing predator control and not hunting is range stakes. Put out range stakes they help a LOT if you don't have a laser rangefinder. Use the fiberglass poles for utility marking and put an aluminum triangle on them for the thermals to see.

Last edited:
Reactions: rlsmith1
Ive looked around and read all sorts of posts and articles on reviews of different NV and thermal optics so I'm not looking for any brand or model comparisons. What I would like to know from guys that have used NV and or Thermal much more than I have, what is a good setup for coyote hunting mostly open fields some woods at night? By that I mean would it be better to just have a night vision scope or clip on and use a thermal monocular handheld or helmet mount for scanning or the other way around or what combination? Lots of factors such as cost and quality of either come into play, I understand but I am more curios from a practical use perspective what would compliment each other best ideally. Maybe I am way off or am being to vague but I'm wanting to get into this a little more and would like input from those who do it or have done it.

Too much to discuss in a thread. I could talk (and do) or type for hours on this stuff. If interested send me a PM and I will provide my cell number and we can chat about thermal night hunting. I hunted 36 nights last winter and shot 304 coyotes. So far this winter, I have hunted 21 nights and shot 205. There is a big difference between want vs need but I will say if a person calls coyotes a thermal scanner is a must if you want to go from a night hunter to a consistent night killer.

Reactions: dirtytough
I’ve been night hunting for a few years. I’m not a professional, and no one pays me to do this hobby. I’m kind of a fucking idiot, really. So, take this for what it’s worth.

If you are going to pursue it in any serious capacity I’d recommend you get a thermal scanner, a good tripod, and if you hunt any ground that rolls, has tall grass, or has heavy trees, get a decent thermal scope.

I say this because when you hunt with NV and an Illuminator the IR light will reflect off of the nearest object and you’ll have trouble seeing past it. For example, hunting in a flat field 50 yards from a grassy fenceline you will not see shit on the other side of the fence line with your Illuminator on. Hunting in a tall pasture? A coyote in tall grass will disappear like a mfr. Hunting a flat bottom ground with a handful of trees? Your IR will bounce off the first tree in front of you and make it hard to see beyond that. If you’re hunting flat row crop farmland a NV clip-on will get you by just fine when paired with a thermal scanner. If you take that NV clip on down to OK or TX for a hunt in the brush and hills, you’re going to have a bad time comparatively speaking. I’ve seen me do it.

I have a few NV clip ons, a helmet mounted NOX35, and an XRF. I would never get rid of my NV, but in my limited experience, the NOX with the XRF is the most effective setup I’ve used in Central Il. (Substitute NOX/XRF with any high quality scanner and lrf thermal scope) With that said I’ve also killed a bunch of them up close, and past 450y with a NV clip on and weapons mounted LRF, so don’t discount it completely. I have only run the XRF briefly. From what I’ve seen so far I’m able to reach out at least as far as my NV, but the ones in my lap are much easier to spot and shoot. So far I’ve taken a handful of coyotes from 50-400+ very confidently, and put some sub-MOA groups on paper at 500. Being able to accurately range at night is going to ultimately determine your success if you get out in the open fields.

With the NOX on my helmet I scan from the second I leave the house until the last set is over. It is hard to communicate the amount of animals you miss when you don’t have the thermal on at all times. I’ve owned a few pulsar hand helds, and they work great when you have them up to your face. Scanning with thermal on a rifle is do-able, but it sucks ass. Your neck will not like it. I have scanned with the rifle through NV when I first started and I would definitely not encourage that. Ultimately, it is more difficult for me to run the call while I hold a scanner or rifle, let alone driving a truck down the road. I don’t drive worth a damn scanning out the driver’s side window regardless, but at least I have two hands free for texting or whatever.

I’ve considered buying a super hogster or another compact equivalent for a backup scanner/scope. The SH I used worked great and looked surprisingly good next to a mk3 60mm and pulsar 640 optics. You don’t have to spend 10k per optic, but you’re not going to be satisfied with much less than the SH price point, if you go with thermal. If you’re trying to get in the sport on a budget, they’d be affordable and fairly proven. For less proven scopes, there has been a metric shit ton of thermals released in the last year, do some research before you dive in.

Something to keep in mind if you don’t own one already, don’t skimp on a tripod if you’re going to stand and call coyotes in a field. I have a handful of different setups, but my go to is a 2 vets QDT with a RRS leveling base and an arca plate on everything I own. Do not overlook the importance of a good tripod for night hunting.

Lastly, don’t be surprised if you get to find out what kind of customer service your thermal scope mfg has to offer. This shit is no better or worse than any other electronic equipment. Pulsar has been easy to work with, as well as Nvision. If your Iray goes down I’ve been told you have to drive it back to China or wherever that commie shit is made. (To any IRAY fanboys that are stroking out right now, chill, it’s a joke.) I will say that I never hear much about trijicons going in for repair, and my NV clip-ons would likely survive a nuclear event.

I’ve been called worse than crazy!

Have you found an ECOTI works well enough to detect with its 640 sensor? Or what’s your dual band setup?

nope. not in open big terrain. nox, mh25 or ir patrol is the route i would go. there are some other new head mounted things coming on scene as well. handsfree for me.

OP - what kind of budget are we talking?

I’ve used several combinations of things. Here’s my opinion on best to worst combinations I’ve used in terms of ease of use and effectiveness.

1. Best - dual band on a helmet (NV/thermal) and a dedicated thermal on the rifle.

2. Better - NV monocular with thermal scanner and dedicated thermal sight.

3. Good - NV monocular with dedicated thermal sight

4. Just ok - thermal scanner with NV monocular and IR laser on rifle.

5. Kinda sucked - NV with IR on rifle

Just to be clear ( new to me) when you refer to dual band you are talking one monocular thermal over the left eye and the other NV over the right eye (or vice versa)?

#1 is what I was thinking when I originally asked this as it made most sense to me. Budget would be able to accommodate that from what I have seen price wise, within reason.

Hunting in the field static I like to have a guy with a NOX-18 on a rifle and a thermal clip on. All gas guns. Wide FOV and Narrow FOV +++ range.
I use IR lasers to cross-designate and it helps a lot.
I'm not a hunter but this. Take the nox off the rifle when you get in a vehicle and it works great for scanning out the window even at high speeds.

nope. not in open big terrain. nox, mh25 or ir patrol is the route i would go. there are some other new head mounted things coming on scene as well. handsfree for me.
Very interesting, I would have thought the opposite (ECOTI would detect further in open). Seems like anything living within 150-200 yds will be seen by the ECOTI even with significant brush / grass in the way. I've never touched one so I could be wrong but that's what it sounds like.

@STI_1911_Guy yes, dual band is something that allows you to see both thermal and IR spectrum. Also known as fusion. A couple ways to do this:
1. The system fuses the image for you. COTI, ECOTI and other monocular / binocular systems display thermal and I2 images stacked on eachother. The thermal is typically an outline in this scenario
2. Your brain fuses the image for you. Think PVS14 and NOX, IR Patrol or MH25 bridged. For me, I see the thermal image predominantly but if I shine an IR illuminator somewhere, I focus on the I2 image. Image brightness in each unit is important here.

System #1 gives a more succinct image at the cost of thermal detection. System #2 gives more thermal detection at the cost of a seamless image. That's my experience anyway.

Reactions: STI_1911_Guy
Just to be clear ( new to me) when you refer to dual band you are talking one monocular thermal over the left eye and the other NV over the right eye (or vice versa)?

#1 is what I was thinking when I originally asked this as it made most sense to me. Budget would be able to accommodate that from what I have seen price wise, within reason.

Correct. One on each eye. Some people have an easier time than others using both at the same time. I’ve found that I don’t have the images merge very well. However, you can manipulate the gain on the NV and it will kind of drown out the thermal when needed or turn it down and you mostly see thermal. It “fuses” ok when sitting still but moving makes the discrepancy in each eye worse. It’s still a lot faster than having to stop and bring up the scanner all the time.

I have a NOX18 and have found the image to be smaller than 1x when looking ahead further than 20yds which makes the image not line up well with the NV. Not sure if the breach does this too but the versatility of being able to use the Nox as a backup weapon sight makes up for it a bit.

Reactions: STI_1911_Guy
Correct. One on each eye. Some people have an easier time than others using both at the same time. I’ve found that I don’t have the images merge very well. However, you can manipulate the gain on the NV and it will kind of drown out the thermal when needed or turn it down and you mostly see thermal. It “fuses” ok when sitting still but moving makes the discrepancy in each eye worse. It’s still a lot faster than having to stop and bring up the scanner all the time.

I have a NOX18 and have found the image to be smaller than 1x when looking ahead further than 20yds which makes the image not line up well with the NV. Not sure if the breach does this too but the versatility of being able to use the Nox as a backup weapon sight makes up for it a bit.
I see both at the same time and both give my brain full data. The image never merges for me either. It’s wild.

Reminds me of “the incident”. Nobody with I2 rigs could see it coming so I let it lick a dude in the face. We didn’t have that animals tag that year so it lived to tell the tale.

Reactions: stefan73
Some input from my Burris Tech Rep:

"What we’ve learned about coyotes, especially out west, is that they can come from anywhere, so it pays to have wide shooting lanes and LRF functionality for at least one of the systems in play. The most cost-effective way to get into it would be a thermal handheld scanner (Burris BTH35 for the low cost and wide FOV) to locate the targets, then an LRF-equipped night vision scope for shooting."

- Wear dual thermal monocles the entire time.

- Have someone else video you walking around over terrain, especially terrain that isn't flat.

- Post the video

Or, ask @TheHorta how navigating with just thermal works out. I think he has some pictures.
If you can walk around with shitty PVS-7A's (which sucked) and not break your neck on long patrols I would think you can walk around with thermal monoculars. Especially of the quality El Horta rolls with.

Can't be any worse than when they first rolled out the VVS-2 Driver Enhanced viewers for the A3 Brad which initially had a lag time of between 3-5 seconds (nothing like finding that ditch).

Reactions: Killswitch Engage
You can but your rolling around with 10-20k on your head to approximate what a 2k pvs14 could accomplish while losing the ability to shoot without flipping up your bridge.

My experience has also been that even with 2 it doesn't translate how steep things are very well so walking on a fire road or trail is fine but bushwhacking up a steep hill is a no go. Depth perception can be lacking as well.

I did the unrecommended up a steep slope thing and tracked sideways about halfway up where there was a cut to get out of the brush. What I didn't realize was the cut led to a drop off where a culvert had been installed and I literally had one foot out in the air before I realized It. 30-40 foot drop and it looked flat through the thermals until I got a different angle on it.

If you can walk around with shitty PVS-7A's (which sucked) and not break your neck on long patrols I would think you can walk around with thermal monoculars. Especially of the quality El Horta rolls with.

Can't be any worse than when they first rolled out the VVS-2 Driver Enhanced viewers for the A3 Brad which initially had a lag time of between 3-5 seconds (nothing like finding that ditch).

exactly... i walk in on every set along with any other nightly stroll i take almost always under thermal. 1x unity helps for sure but not necessary. ive always wondered what the issue is with people that bitch about depth perception even with 7's. ive not had issues with that. look where youre going...not where youre at.

exactly... i walk in on every set along with any other nightly stroll i take almost always under thermal. 1x unity helps for sure but not necessary. ive always wondered what the issue is with people that bitch about depth perception even with 7's. ive not had issues with that. look where youre going...not where youre at.
and don't drag your feet;) and if it looks like a big black hole, test it, don't just willynilly step in it in it because it might be an open hole to someone's moved outhouse pit (my Sigo found it, up to his armpits and had to be pulled out, poor guy).

• Love
Reactions: WhereNow&How
"...then an LRF-equipped night vision scope for shooting."
Ugh... on another note, can we get some add on options for this other than the long since discontinued radius and the way to expensive for the neutered civvy version of the raptar?

I'd have to imagine that with how the thermal market has blown up that an updated version of the radius would sell really well.. that really was a product ahead of its time.

Ugh... on another note, can we get some add on options for this other than the long since discontinued radius and the way to expensive for the neutered civvy version of the raptar?

I'd have to imagine that with how the thermal market has blown up that an updated version of the radius would sell really well.. that really was a product ahead of its time.

its gettin ready to happen.... stay tuned

Several things are trundling to market.

Be prepared to just change the name on the check and not the amounts really. The main issue is the laser module for 1550nm units costs as much as a nice enduro bike.

It’s just the base cost of it and it don’t matter who made the rest of the chassis.

For example - the wilcox RAPTAR was only $1500 without the rangefinder.

Reactions: stefan73
So with all of this being said, who are you guys recommending to purchase a good setup? Which vendor should I be talking to?

I’ve been trusting Strictly Offense Kit @wigwamitus for all things NV and thermal. They are vendors here and are super helpful.
Wig is a very knowledgeable guy and USER of this stuff for real. You are in good company there for sure. (y)

Learned a lot from him myself.