• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thermal on Bolt Action Rifle?

Seeking_Coyotes

Private
Minuteman
May 11, 2017
Been running a Pulsar XP50 and a Bering Optics Super Yoter on gas guns. Want to migrate them to my bolt guns including a Browning Xbolt. Anybody using thermals on bolt guns? Wondering about the eye relief/sight picture and any good rails recommended to mount on the bolt guns where I currently have rings and bases and scopes.

Anybody using thermals on bolt guns?
No.

Most bolt guns still use black powder so the huge amount of flash and smoke from the muzzle will usually obscure your view through a thermal.
They do have some black powder friendly thermals out now but they are like really expensive because they are made for soldiers.

If you are going to use a thermal on a bolt gun, you will likely have the most fun if you simply load a video file from a friend’s recent successful hog hunt onto your own thermal.

You can sally up to your bolt gun on a tripod to watch the mayhem and even dryfire in synch with the video shots.
Think virtual reality varmint hunting but without that goggle thing you have to buy.

Many pluses to this approach.
Super quiet with or without a suppressor.
Little or no ammo cost involved.
No need to drag corpses or risk flipping an ATV in a turn row ditch.
No need to clean your barrel. Black powder is corrosive you know and needs to be cleaned with lots of patches and bear fat*.
*DO NOT GET BEAR FAT ON THE THERMAL LENS! The glass comes from Germany and is called Germanium. They do not
have bears in Germany so they never developed a bear fat resistant lens coating.

I'm sure others will chime in on this but I am still at the F'ing shop and trying to eat dinner at my desk at F'ing 22:19 hrs. so you get to be blessed with my experience in this elite field.

Your own results may vary. May cause diarrhea, vomiting and occasional bloating.

./

Make sure to tell your vendor you only want a thermal that sees through glass. Definitely the way to go!

Reactions: Terry Cross
Make sure to tell your vendor you only want a thermal that sees through glass. Definitely the way to go!
Does this one see through walls too?

I heard thermals work best on magnums without any kind of recoil reduction device on the muzzle.

do-it-ben-stiller.gif

No.

Most bolt guns still use black powder so the huge amount of flash and smoke from the muzzle will usually obscure your view through a thermal.
They do have some black powder friendly thermals out now but they are like really expensive because they are made for soldiers.

If you are going to use a thermal on a bolt gun, you will likely have the most fun if you simply load a video file from a friend’s recent successful hog hunt onto your own thermal.

You can sally up to your bolt gun on a tripod to watch the mayhem and even dryfire in synch with the video shots.
Think virtual reality varmint hunting but without that goggle thing you have to buy.

Many pluses to this approach.
Super quiet with or without a suppressor.
Little or no ammo cost involved.
No need to drag corpses or risk flipping an ATV in a turn row ditch.
No need to clean your barrel. Black powder is corrosive you know and needs to be cleaned with lots of patches and bear fat*.
*DO NOT GET BEAR FAT ON THE THERMAL LENS! The glass comes from Germany and is called Germanium. They do not
have bears in Germany so they never developed a bear fat resistant lens coating.

I'm sure others will chime in on this but I am still at the F'ing shop and trying to eat dinner at my desk at F'ing 22:19 hrs. so you get to be blessed with my experience in this elite field.

Your own results may vary. May cause diarrhea, vomiting and occasional bloating.

./
1693659681149.gif

Been running a Pulsar XP50 and a Bering Optics Super Yoter on gas guns. Want to migrate them to my bolt guns including a Browning Xbolt. Anybody using thermals on bolt guns? Wondering about the eye relief/sight picture and any good rails recommended to mount on the bolt guns where I currently have rings and bases and scopes.
@Seeking_Coyotes to be clear on my post I was bored last night and landed on your post.

Your questions are legit. I just tried to troll one sentence in your post.
I apologize.

In super general terms the thermals that mimic a standard rifle scope profile will give you the best chance of getting proper eye relief on your bolt gun.

Your Browning will have a lot less options for purpose built bases than Rem and others but there are solutions out there. The super low bolt lift on your Browning will make it easier to solve.

Iray Bolt or Pulsar Thermion are going to be your best options to try and run on a traditional bolt gun.

Chassis rifles give a little more flexibility in that the stock length and comb height can be adjusted for proper eye relief. I ran an Nvision Halo LR on a Q Fix for a bit this way but still had to swap the standard picatinney mount with a Bobro to get it positioned right far enough back to my eye.

You will probably gain additional feedback if you move the post over to the optics thread. Good luck!

Yeah. Older post but I just found what was needed in another thread. Bobro has a cantilever style mount will do what you need.

Short thread, read down to bottom. Good info

Measure from the end your stock to the back of your thermal on your current setup. That length is what you will need to achieve when you put it on your bolt gun. When you get the measurement you will quickly realize it won't work. I run a Halo x in a bobro mount and I'm still 3in too long with a conventional stock. A Manners CS or a chassis that takes a regular adjustable ar15 stock is about all the options out there.
Second, take a look at where the bolt handle is when open compared to your thermal. Some are too close and even hit.