• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Thermal optics

Kspence49

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 12, 2022
Wyoming
Looking into getting a dedicated thermal optic in addition to my handheld/clip on unit, mainly for open country coyotes and other fun night shooting. I’m looking at the AGM varmint LRF line. The 384 seems to be a bargain at $2500, Is 640 worth an additional $1500 over 384? I’m tempted to go 640 because its “the best”, but it’s also pushing a 100% price increase.

Also, I’m think 16x should be fine on the high end so the 35mm should be good unless I’m missing some additional benefit of the larger lens. I really want it to have a dedicated LRF as well, that’s one of the main requirements. Feel free to recommend other units as well and why!

Yes, 640 is worth the money. I have 3 AGM's... They're good units. I really like my Rattler TS50-640... It does things it's not supposed to be able to do... It is able to pickup planes' heat signatures from a LONG way away.

20240119180531.jpeg
20240119180535.jpeg

Last edited:
Yes, 640 is worth the money. I have 3 AGM's... They're good units. I really like my Rattler TS50-640... It does things it's not supposed to be able to do... It is able to pickup planes' heat signatures from a LONG way away.

View attachment 8332636View attachment 8332637
That’s impressive! The rattler gets great feedback but I do really want the LRF. I’d imagine they’re pretty much the same thing otherwise

That’s impressive! The rattler gets great feedback but I do really want the LRF. I’d imagine they’re pretty much the same thing otherwise
They have a new version of the "Rattler" coming soon (announced at SHOT on Tuesday). It's called the Secutor LRF 50-640, and it is basically a Rattler V2 with an LRF hanging off the side. I'm excited to see one in person. I'm debating on my next thermal whether it will be the Secutor 50-640 or the new (also just debuted at SHOT) Clarion 35/60-640 with a dual-lens setup.

Reactions: nikonNUT
I was looking at those clarions but I dont think I need the capabilities it offers. What’s the difference between the rattler/secutor and the varmint?

I was looking at those clarions but I dont think I need the capabilities it offers. What’s the difference between the rattler/secutor and the varmint?
According to AGM in the video they posted this afternoon on IG, the Secutor is basically the same thing as the new Rattler V2, but the Secutor has LRF and uses 4 CR123 batteries, and the Rattler V2 uses a new proprietary Li-Ion battery (rechargeable) that will last for 11-11.5 hours! Both the Rattler V2 and Secutor (and all new models) have an aluminum housing for added durability.

And the Varmint has LRF, but the body is made of plastic, and not as rugged and uses 18650 batteries.

Hmmm. I don’t much like the idea of the plastic body. I do like 18650s tho haha I’ve already got a ton of em. Thanks for the help I’ll have to listen to their video. The rattler v2 def sounds cool but the LRF is kind of a dealbreaker for me unfortunately. I did see iray had some new offerings as well that may be worth looking it to