• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Thermal or NV scanner

DynamicAccuracy

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
May 6, 2017
Mexico, MO
Just getting to night coyote hunting. Picked up a cheap sightmark wraith to get me by until my pulsar c50 comes in (wasn't sure it'd be here in time for our night coyote season starts). Figured I'd throw the wraith on a backup rifle in case somebody wants to go with me and they don't have NV. I've heard a thermal scanner is pretty handy to have but seems like you need to drop 3-4k on one for it to be even be worth a crap. Would something similar to a pvs14 fill my needs of spotting coyotes 4-500y out before they get right up on my call? I've thought a NV monocular on a ballistic helmet would be pretty nice especially for driving around at night looking for coyotes to go after. Thanks in advance for the help.

Last edited:
Reactions: 338dude

I’m new to night hunting predators too. I’m not new to passive night vision. Uncle Sugar provided decent PNV for a couple decades. Issued PVS is great for driving or walking around in the dark. Takes some practice but easy enough to navigate. It may or may not be great for finding game. In open areas it works pretty well for orientation and detection. Nothing like a thermal tho.

I use a PVS-14 for scanning now and a thermal on the rifle. I’d love to have a helmet mounted thermal but It’s not in the cards right now.

In general I think PVS and thermal work best in combination. Each have strengths and weaknesses that pairing can help offset.

You won’t be able to spot them well with NV. Thermal is the only way to go in regards to scanning. You can get an entry level thermal scanner for around $2k and see them coming in from a few hundred yards or more.
Any you'd recommend in the low 2k range?

I had great experience with an entry level Pulsar scanner that I used for a few years but I’m not as familiar with their newer stuff.

If I were on the market today in that price range, I’d look at some of the entry level options thermal weapon sights from Bering. Small enough to be a scanner but can also be used on the gun. I’m a big fan of systems that can be used in multiple ways so that you have more options.

Reactions: Concrete shooter
You might check out the AGM Taipan models or AGM Rattler if you want the versatility of using for a scanner & mounting it on a rifle.

Reactions: DynamicAccuracy
Any of them can be a head mounted scanner with enough duct tape…. 😜

Flir Breach is about the only one I’ve heard of below $3k that would work in that capacity.

If you expand your budget up there are some good ones out there but they get pricey really quick.

Not mine, but someone has a BERING 25. VI be in the PX here under night vision. It is 2100 and can record a video and picture and stream to your phone. My super hogstev does the same thing and it is fun for your friend to be looking at the camera phone while you are shooting.

For wide open spaces I like 3X base magnification. My brother just bought a BURRIS BTS50 from Scheels for $2100. It says out of stock online but the Missoula, MT store still has three for that price as of last week. It is a rifle scope but can be used as a scanner but cannot record without buying a separate MDVR

regarding your original question, a thermal is much, much more effective than NV for spotting coyotes.

Normally I hunt 20-40acre cut crop fields where I can see 300-700y

That small areas . Me not hampered at all out scanning/spotting using 1x or 2x in those area sizes . Me.. I spot with Therm. shoot with NV .

Reactions: BurtG
I’ve used both. Not a ton but my perfect setup would be thermal scanner and either thermal or NV scope.

Thermal detects way easier compared to NV. The NV does come in handy for ID if you need it. Around here we have coyotes and wolves. Wolves are a no go for shooting. At night with a thermal it can be harder to id between the two. Especially at distance which is harder to judge at night with anything

Currently I just run a Bering Hogster R35. Which I use mostly as a scanner and Varmint rig on my air gun. The Bering works decent as a scanner but not helmet mounted.

I have a battery pack taped to a spare picatinny rail. Then I just attach the Hogster to that and plug in to the pack

You can cheap out a bit on the scanner as you’re just using to pick up the heat signature and can use the gun to ID. Seeing the difference between a deer and coyote at a couple hundred yards is easily achieved by sub $3k thermals. Even sub $2k will be decent with todays options

I’ve used both. Not a ton but my perfect setup would be thermal scanner and either thermal or NV scope.

Thermal detects way easier compared to NV. The NV does come in handy for ID if you need it. Around here we have coyotes and wolves. Wolves are a no go for shooting. At night with a thermal it can be harder to id between the two. Especially at distance which is harder to judge at night with anything

Currently I just run a Bering Hogster R35. Which I use mostly as a scanner and Varmint rig on my air gun. The Bering works decent as a scanner but not helmet mounted.

I have a battery pack taped to a spare picatinny rail. Then I just attach the Hogster to that and plug in to the pack

You can cheap out a bit on the scanner as you’re just using to pick up the heat signature and can use the gun to ID. Seeing the difference between a deer and coyote at a couple hundred yards is easily achieved by sub $3k thermals. Even sub $2k will be decent with todays options
That's why I went with a NV scope as well. I hunt alot within 600-700y of houses and I dont want to accidentally call somebody's dog in and shoot it thinkin it's a coyote.

Reactions: hafejd30
I'll hold you hand for you

That’s crazy cheap. Makes me feel like there has to be a catch. You typically get what you pay for with thermal

Reactions: softcock
Just saw this thread and picked one up! Thanks for the link!

Dang, at that price I snagged one too for a backup / loaner when my kids go out with me.

Figure I can resell it for that much if I end up not liking it.

Reactions: waspocrew
AGM Taipan TM15-384 is the best china made deal around for an internal battery scanner with a good FOV, wide display screen and is helmet mountable for around $1,200 new.
After testing one, I bought it and have been using it for the last two years as a backup and loaner without issue.
TM15-384
AGM Mount

Thanks for all the help. I was pretty set on the agm tiapan but after seeing the SMOKING deal on the burris I went with it. Hopefully Opticsplanet doesn't pull their usually bullshit and wait 3 months before shipping because it was "in stock"

Reactions: Eric_F
right, so tell me more about the duct tape mounting system. will it work for a rifle?
Screenshot_20221129_194135_Chrome.jpg

Saw this on optics planet questions lol

Speaking of Optics Planet. I know some people hate on them but if you buy items that are in stock they’ve been great.

The thermal has already shipped, will be here Saturday so I’ll update you guys on how it is.

Speaking of Optics Planet. I know some people hate on them but if you buy items that are in stock they’ve been great.

The thermal has already shipped, will be here Saturday so I’ll update you guys on how it is.
I've bought stuff before that said in stock and then magically it wasn't. But I already got a shipping confirmation on my thermal so I'm glad

Couldn’t pass on the price of the BTH35 either - looking forward to using it soon!

I have a Burris and used it a lot hunting last week. I don’t know that I’d call it amazing, but for what it is, “cheaper” consumer grade entry-level stuff, it works pretty well. I could make a long list of things I wish were better or different, but I am still quite happy with it so far. No it’s not multi thousand dollar quality gear.

Just received the Burris 35 last night. It’s nice for what it is: an entry level thermal device. It suits my needs perfectly(scanning for coyotes in the neighborhood while walking the dogs). I’m thrilled with the product at the price point.

Got the bth35 in today and got to play around with it for a few minutes. As already mentioned it’s not comparable to multi-thousand dollar units but for $800 it seems like it’s going to work pretty well.

I’m going to try and get back out for some hogs/coyote later this week and will get to do a better test with it.

First impressions:

Form factor: it’s heavy and somewhat bulky (won’t fit in my bino pouch).

Refresh rate: It has some lag until the unit warms up a bit then it seems to pretty much go away.

Image: Not as good as I was hoping but not terrible. Contrast/detail are lacking and things seem to just blur together regardless of the settings. The wood fence at 20yds in my back yard looked like a wall vs seeing the individual boards. Despite it having higher specs I would say the image isn’t as good as my trail xq38. Black hot looked terrible, white hot had more detail. However, from what I could see I think I will be able to spot and PID hogs vs deer vs coyote at a few hundred yards. Will confirm when I go out.

Menu/features: easy to navigate, I like the color palettes, standby and button layout.

Overall: for $800 I think it’s going to be pretty solid. It doesn’t compare to the higher end units but that’s not what it is. It’s miles better than the first Flir scanner I had.

Got the bth35 in today and got to play around with it for a few minutes. As already mentioned it’s not comparable to multi-thousand dollar units but for $800 it seems like it’s going to work pretty well.

I’m going to try and get back out for some hogs/coyote later this week and will get to do a better test with it.

First impressions:

Form factor: it’s heavy and somewhat bulky (won’t fit in my bino pouch).

Refresh rate: It has some lag until the unit warms up a bit then it seems to pretty much go away.

Image: Not as good as I was hoping but not terrible. Contrast/detail are lacking and things seem to just blur together regardless of the settings. The wood fence at 20yds in my back yard looked like a wall vs seeing the individual boards. Despite it having higher specs I would say the image isn’t as good as my trail xq38. Black hot looked terrible, white hot had more detail. However, from what I could see I think I will be able to spot and PID hogs vs deer vs coyote at a few hundred yards. Will confirm when I go out.

Menu/features: easy to navigate, I like the color palettes, standby and button layout.

Overall: for $800 I think it’s going to be pretty solid. It doesn’t compare to the higher end units but that’s not what it is. It’s miles better than the first Flir scanner I had.
I rode around til midnight last night with mine and was able to see coyotes and deer out to 700ish yards. Was able to identify them from one another at around 400-500. Cattle I could see around 800. While it does have higher magnification I never ran it above 1.5x because it was just too grainy. Zooming in didn't really help with identification. It might not be the best but it'll suit my needs. I just need to see coyotes coming from 500-600y away to make sure I'm ready to take a shot when they get to 300 and in.

Reactions: Rerun7
The handheld has a focus ring up front. Turn it and the fence will look like a fence.

Image: Not as good as I was hoping but not terrible. Contrast/detail are lacking and things seem to just blur together regardless of the settings.

This can happen at times, but it also depends on what you're looking at. Last monday night walking back to camp I was crossing a field and couldn't make out anything. But the more I thought about it, it was in the mid 20's, had been all day, sun had been down a long time. "everything looks the same because everything's about the same temperature". Once I got back near the woods and more towards a road and some other structures, plenty to see.

It does seem to work better some times than others.

The handheld has a focus ring up front. Turn it and the fence will look like a fence.

I used the focus, that was my first thought. I’ll try to snag some pics later. Keep in mind, I don’t expect it to look like a 640 unit. I actually don’t care much about that type of detail vs being able to distinguish different types of animals at a few hundred yards.

This can happen at times, but it also depends on what you're looking at. Last monday night walking back to camp I was crossing a field and couldn't make out anything. But the more I thought about it, it was in the mid 20's, had been all day, sun had been down a long time. "everything looks the same because everything's about the same temperature". Once I got back near the woods and more towards a road and some other structures, plenty to see.

It does seem to work better some times than others.

Yep, I hunt with thermal on a pretty regular basis. Some conditions are better than others. A few days ago I was out and it had been overcast all day, misty rain and temp at about 35°. A lot of the scenery was washed out. However, living things still pop in the image.

I’ll try and get some comparison pics today vs other units.

Again - for $800 I’m not going to be too critical 😜

You have the three settings of "Nature, enhanced.... and errr um.... something"? Or something like that anyway. I noticed that which one works best really depends on conditions. Some times they make a huge difference, other times they seem to make no difference at all. lol

There is an enhanced mode somewhere in the settings. I changed this and the resolution was much, much better.

Does anyone run anything other that white hot?

Any of you guys had trouble getting it to connect to the app? Was going to take some pics but can’t get passed this screen. It shows it’s connected to the handheld Wi-Fi in my settings.

7A594AC5-EE1C-4DC9-B229-2EAB1B4E0E1A.png

Ok so after reading this I figured I would jump into thermal with the BTH35 as well for that price. It should be here tomorrow. Any feedback on the BTS50 for the rifle? Is there anything close to it for $1800-2000?
@IDMilton

Last edited: