• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Thermal recommendations

GrantB

Private
Minuteman
May 23, 2010
Louisiana
Ok, here’s another what best question.

Hog hunting from 0-250 at most range. Don’t need all the bells and whistles but good quality and resolution a must. I have a pvs 27 for longer ranges. Would like to stay around $2K and used or referb is fine. I’m just trying to keep the pigs out of my fields don’t need ballistics or video just but I know most have that stuff built in now. Recommendation on what to get and what to stay away from is appreciated.

And just fyi. Hornady 125g v-max in a 300BO is the best thing I have found to put the bastards down with, it’s quite with a can compact with 8” barrel. Thanks

Good quality and resolution to 250 yards isn’t going to happen for 2k (not even used).

You might find a used Chinese scope (think hogster line) in that price range, which will do the job, but it’s definitely not what most would call quality.

Hogs are big which helps… maybe a used FLIR unit if you’re willing to support them 🤷‍♂️

I would use the PVS27 and get a handheld thermal for spotting/detection then use the 27 for PID/confirmation. That would be probably your best budget option (since you already have a PVS27). I would also look at a good illuminator like a de-neutered Luna (a little dirty but super powerful and nothing comes close to touching it at the price. Robert/JRH has them with all the cool little goodies.

But, if you are set on a thermal weapons sight I would look at a clipon thermal like a C35, Yoter-C or Iray Micro. It would provide you with the same flexibility as the 27.

For C35 I would talk to @TheHebrewHammer if the prices haven't increased but it would still be over your $2k but not horrible over.

Reactions: TheHebrewHammer
For hogs, most hunters want a wider FOV and lower base magnification. The Hogster Vibe 35 is about the best option out there for the mid 2K price point. I usually say 200-225 for coyotes with this setup. Hogs are a bit bigger so 250 is definitely a possibility. The next step up from here is going to put you into the Super Yoter category which is going to be mid 3K range. With Bering, they have a 4-year warranty, and it doesn't matter who owns the scope, so buying used is OK. However, used thermals (at least with warranty and service options) are still a high dollar value. I help people find the right thermal for their unique hunting situations every day. I will send you a message with my contact information, and we can go through lots of options. Once you start hunting with thermal, there is no going back.

I'll agree to stick with a thermal spotter with your budget.
That being said you could look for old used armasight stuff. Some may be near your $2k price.
They have Flir cores, but Flir won't have anything to do with them so you won't be supporting them (no warranty support).

I recently did some trading for an old 100mm Apollo Pro and I'm pretty happy with it considering what I have into it

the 100mm was their premier flagship sight and just a few years ago retailed for ~$9000. Now they sell used for ~$3500. Lesser models.Would probably get close to your price range.

I can’t say enough about the Bering Super Hogster. It’s a little outside of your budget at ~$3k but competes with units that are $6-$8k. For shots out to 250yds you will really like the 3x native zoom. The new OLED display is crystal clear. The controls are simple and effective and the thing is packed with features.

I would highly recommend reaching out to Cameron at Thermal Optics Plus.

Reactions: Evolution 9
I can’t say enough about the Bering Super Hogster. It’s a little outside of your budget at ~$3k but competes with units that are $6-$8k. For shots out to 250yds you will really like the 3x native zoom. The new OLED display is crystal clear. The controls are simple and effective and the thing is packed with features.
Agree with Patina on the Super Hogster being a very good thermal at a great price. However, with a 7.5° FOV, most hog hunters would say the FOV is too limited if hunting more than singles. If hunting over a feeder or only stalking one hog at a time, it would be a nice thermal. I sent my contact information as I help people every day find the thermal or thermals that best fits their needs. I also don't get paid any commissions, so I can be 100% up-front with pros and cons of all units and brands.

And just fyi. Hornady 125g v-max in a 300BO is the best thing I have found to put the bastards down with, it’s quite with a can compact with 8” barrel. Thanks
Vmax or sst ? Didn’t think there was a 125 vmax

It’s the v-max. I’m actually shooting the 123g 7.62 (.310”) in the 300. I pushed some through a resizer die to get .308 but I couldn’t tell any difference in shooting them. I’ve had these for a few years so I assume hornady still makes them. I’ve shot out to 200 yards and they are the best. I would say 80% of them just fall over and don’t even make a squeal or move around.

Funny story, about a week ago I was creeping up on what I thought was a single hog about 70 yards away with a small irrigation levee between us. I could only see about the top 6-8” of his back over the levee, as I was slowly moving up on him the wind changed and I saw him stop and he raised his head. I knew he had me so I shot and he simply disappeared below the levee, I quickly scanned around for maybe another one that I hadn’t seen and there he was again standing broad side a little farther away so I shot again and he disappeared again so I was scanning again and there he was the third time almost in the same spot so I shot that bastard again. When I looked over the levee there were 3 dead pigs lying in a 20 yard circle. Even running supers with a can and each one simply lying down for a nap the others knew something use up but not enough to run.

• Haha
Reactions: deersniper