• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Thermal Scanner/Clip On

YotaEer

Montani Semper Liberi
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 3, 2019
Pittsburgh
I’ve had experience with an old pulsar core and new sig echo reflex thermals that are now both with my grandfather as he gets a lot more time to night hunt than I do. Using the old pulsar as a scanner and the echo as the weapon sight.

I’m now in the market for a thermal clip on that I will mainly use for scanning. Essentially 95%+ of the time would be scanning. This would also include day scanning for even squirrels, groundhogs, deer etc but I’d like the capability to clip it onto a day scope as well for my limited night hunting.

Budget is about $2500. Any recommendations?

tough bill to fill for that budget bud. For a clip on to do dual duty like that pulsar or possibly Burris makes one now. The ir patrol had versions with clip on mode that demagnified the image for clip on use. Again your budget is going to make it tough

Reactions: YotaEer
Maybe I should revise my criteria to an optic with a QD Mount? Obviously less than ideal an in actual hunting scenario, especially with coyotes coming in fast, but it’s mainly a scanner

AGM rattler or a Bering hogster? Either compact enough to pull this off?

Yes many people using Hogster 25s and 35s as scanners. People wearing eyeglasses especially like using them due to the further eye relief.

The typical rule of thumb is if it’s mainly used as a scanner and just rarely as a scope, most people go with the 25 due to the generous 14.9° FOV and 1.4x base mag.

If the main purpose is on the gun and occasionally used as a scanner, general recommendation is the 35 with a 10.7° FOV and 2x base mag. Bering Optics has a 4year transferable warranty and is assembled, serviced, and supported in the US.

The Hogsters are more compact than many scanners including the Pulsar Helions as an example.

Reactions: YotaEer