• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Thermal scanner options

2brothers641

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 21, 2008
IA, USA
I got into thermal hunting last year. I have an AGM TS25 on a .22 mag AR and the Burris BTS35 on a .223 AR. At this point I think a scanner would be a great addition. I haven’t been super impressed with either scope as far as clarity at distance so I’m really considering a 640 scanner to try. So far, the Steiner h35 and pulsar axiom 2 xg35 have peaked my interest. Is one better than the other? Is there anything else in the $2500 range worth looking at? The new sidekick looks promising but I would like more than 1x base. I do not plan on helmet mounting. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

The Bering Optics Phenom 640 is a bit higher in price but has a much better image. I say the good and bad. Extremely good image, very good warranty, and very user friendly. The main negative is the endcap is horrible (but there are cheap replacement options) and some love the idea it has a 6-hour internal battery, and some don't like that at all. If the battery ever needs replacing, Bering will replace for around $50.

For those on a tighter budget, the Bering Optics Phenom 384 25mm is really good for under $1,700.

Per the ones you mentioned, I would go with the Axion xg35. We don't have them on our website, but we can order one for you if you would like to order from a Hide sponsor. 909-312-5424

The sidekicks will be good for someone doing close-range work on a helmet. For a handheld coyote scanner, there are much better options out there.

Reactions: DIBBS