• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Thermal scanner

bantaman2

Private
Minuteman
Dec 16, 2011
Washington [WA]
I recently had a deal fall through for a PAS23, so I have freed up the funds for a thermal optic again. I was researching different options when I came across the Pulsar Fxq50 and 38. The appeal of this item is that it is a scanner, that can pull double duty as a clip on for low magnification.

While I understand that having a clip on thermal usually comes with a price, and that cheap options leave a lot to be desired. And I understand it won’t be M300w level of smoothness and clarity.

A few questions:

- Does anyone have experience with this item?

-how does it compare to the Bering Optics Hogster

- how does it stack up as a dedicated scanner in comparison to the Helion swries

- most of my civilian thermal experience is with a Sig Echo 1. How does this item compare in terms of detection distance, clarity and frame rate

-are there other items within the sub 4K price range that are significantly better at being a scanner?

I know you said sub $4k, but wanna make sure you know what you're missin' :)

Patrol with Radius attached and zeroed to patrol reticle = thermal range finder!

32523308237_e8240963ee_h.jpg

==
Same possible with RAPTAR if you also want ir-laser designator (raptar has)
47413738672_cd818d2d7f_h.jpg

==

Hand held thermal range finder with Rifle on tripod beside, helped get a double, by keeping track of where both critters were and the distance, to each, even though I was single feeding those long OAL cartridges that night.

46640232825_432490866d_h.jpg

==
And IIRC @PlinkIt has experience with the FXQ50 ... hopefully he will be along to tell you about such.

==
The Axions have a 1024x768 display on the back and hence good image ... BUT too much magnification (i.e. too little FOV) IMHO.

The Helions are a better choice due to the FOV issue. There are several different models with different FOV/Magnification tradeoffs.

you make my wallet hurt. Im just looking for something that is relatively robust, and has good detection range, and has a smooth (not choppy) refresh rate. that m300 looks awesome. I saw that you used to be able to use it as a "clip on" did they discontinue that because it was unable to be accurate due to no collimating prisms in the rear? and was it at least accurate within 200 yards?

• Haha
Reactions: deersniper
I'll speak to what I can here...

- Does anyone have experience with this item?

I do have a little experience with the FXQ50 and I'll be glad to tell you anything I can or compare to what I have had in hand

The FXQ series are a solid idea I think, but they didn't quite hit a home run with the objective mount kits. They will work don't get me wrong, but whenever you start pushing buttons and turning focus while objective mounted... Your 1/2 minute gun might turn into a 1.5-2 minute gun if you are not careful. There is a solid way around this and that's using any of the trail series mounts (as the bolt pattern is the same) and mounting it to pic rail. I tried a DLOC mount and found it worked much better than the objective and no longer had issues pushing the unit around. It was repeatable to the rifle and off as well. The dloc made the center of the FXQ something like 1.7" vs the AR miunts at around 1.5" but it would zero fine. I've heard that the bobro qd mount if a little shorter and might get you even closer still

Now the idea seems great to have it do both, but I think you have to decide each night what you plan to use it for and designate it for that evening. It's not a fast enough change to scan and then transform into clip on mode and shoot... The animal will be in the next county before you get the shot off I think... But it does give you some flexibility in your kit that's for sure.

-how does it stack up as a dedicated scanner in comparison to the Helion swries
Closer thing I am familiar with here in the trail XP50. And the FOV as a scanner and the picture are better with the XP trail I think. The trail had so many bells and whistles you'll need a month to really learn everything it can do.

Not to mention you could actually use the DLOC mount on the trail to pop it off rifle and scan with... Then pop back on rifle and shoot faster than the FXQ series can convert. But the trail is larger than the FXQ when in scanner mode if that matters.

Now to @wigwamitus comment about the Axion
I literally just this week picked up a XM38 which is supposed to be the top model for this little handheld scanner. The size and weight are great and it takes pictures if you like and looks really good for a 320 unit... But you will also see I posted it for sale already as unless you have nice open areas to hunt (which I don't) this thing has a tiny FOV which sucks for my use... So I agree with wig since you reference 200 yards or less. I disagree about getting the helion though... I'd get the XP trail and use it for both as needed. XP38 or 50 will spot great for 200yards or less you mentioned.

Reactions: wigwamitus
you make my wallet hurt...
Fair warning it hurts worse to buy all the cheaper stuff then sell it at losses to buy the patrol in the end.

I've been avoiding the patrol as not to spend that much on another single unit, but I've wasted time and money and now I'm going to sell stuff to buy it in the end anyway....

I'll speak to what I can here...

I do have a little experience with the FXQ50 and I'll be glad to tell you anything I can or compare to what I have had in hand

The FXQ series are a solid idea I think, but they didn't quite hit a home run with the objective mount kits. They will work don't get me wrong, but whenever you start pushing buttons and turning focus while objective mounted... Your 1/2 minute gun might turn into a 1.5-2 minute gun if you are not careful. There is a solid way around this and that's using any of the trail series mounts (as the bolt pattern is the same) and mounting it to pic rail. I tried a DLOC mount and found it worked much better than the objective and no longer had issues pushing the unit around. It was repeatable to the rifle and off as well. The dloc made the center of the FXQ something like 1.7" vs the AR miunts at around 1.5" but it would zero fine. I've heard that the bobro qd mount if a little shorter and might get you even closer still

Now the idea seems great to have it do both, but I think you have to decide each night what you plan to use it for and designate it for that evening. It's not a fast enough change to scan and then transform into clip on mode and shoot... The animal will be in the next county before you get the shot off I think... But it does give you some flexibility in your kit that's for sure.

Closer thing I am familiar with here in the trail XP50. And the FOV as a scanner and the picture are better with the XP trail I think. The trail had so many bells and whistles you'll need a month to really learn everything it can do.

Not to mention you could actually use the DLOC mount on the trail to pop it off rifle and scan with... Then pop back on rifle and shoot faster than the FXQ series can convert. But the trail is larger than the FXQ when in scanner mode if that matters.

Now to @wigwamitus comment about the Axion
I literally just this week picked up a XM38 which is supposed to be the top model for this little handheld scanner. The size and weight are great and it takes pictures if you like and looks really good for a 320 unit... But you will also see I posted it for sale already as unless you have nice open areas to hunt (which I don't) this thing has a tiny FOV which sucks for my use... So I agree with wig since you reference 200 yards or less. I disagree about getting the helion though... I'd get the XP trail and use it for both as needed. XP38 or 50 will spot great for 200yards or less you mentioned.

how was the detection range? and when you were looking through it, was the image smooth or choppy? I like the idea of something that is very small and will sit with my emergency stuff, and will mostly be used to find the dogs when they go running out in the woods. I will be back in WA soon, so the 200 yard statement was just the estimated range I would like to be able to ID and kill something the size of a coyote. I would prefer to have detection range much greater than 200. Hopefully around 800-1000 yards. Do you think the FXQ50 would be adequate for this? Or am I just trying to justify a bad idea

Detection range is further than you'll shoot with most any thermal

Identification range is plenty on anything listed above. I spend most of my time trying to distinguish deer, dogs, bobcats, coons, possum, etc... The obvious ones are easy like deer vs dog can be distinguished much further than I'd be shooting, but raccoon vs possum.... I might have to get pretty close if they were both walking through some grass

Any of the units mentioned above will not hold you back in hunting a coyote at a few hundred yards and any of them will see that there is stuff out there at 1000 yards

As to your choppy image comment... Other than when the units NUC themselves I've never noticed any chop... If you don't like the NUC function happening automatically you can change the setting so it waits for your comment, or so that you do it altogether.

Just an FYI, you can rent optics and in turn apply the rental fee towards the purchase price.

So the above-listed sponsor is who I placed an order with. The had the Apex 50 xq for sell. This is the best 2100 I have spent. I use it as a monocular and scope. I used to practice over the summer shooting groundhogs. I then used it for scanning for deer to see what was moving. I have filed in which I can see 1000's of yards at a time. Today I was using to watch deer and found my first two coyotes with it. Got a little yote fever and shot way too early. I am buying a thermal scanner now.

Reactions: Ravenworks