• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thermal scanner

tex68w

Mister Bevilaqua
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 10, 2017
    Looking for advice on a thermal scanner. I am looking to use it on foot when hog hunting and even in the deer blind due to the area where we hunt being so thick with cedar. There have been times that I can see a buck at one particular feeder on camera but I can't physically see him because he's just to the side of the clearing and behind cedars.

I've also considered possibly getting a Nox18 or 35 and running in on a helmet alongside of a PVS14, best of both worlds, thermal to scan and spot and then flip to NV to take the shot. With that said, what's the go to these days, what should be avoided and who has the best price?

I use Nox-18 (remove the wpn mount to reduce bulk and weight) beside pvs-14 and it works great for me. Size / weight wise its 1/2 way between the skeet and patrol. Price wise its less than half the cost of a skeet ($15k ish) and a few hundred less than the patrol. All these have the OASYS (aka BAE) cores, which remain king of the hill for what we can buy.
    But if you want to save some $$, we're waiting on the new Armasight "sidekick" which looks a bit like a 640 breach. Those should be out before fall and MSRP around $3,300.

52761968554_fe927b53fe_k.jpg

From left to right (my current 3 helmet set ups)

L - Single 14 and C5E - ecoti ... this is my "minimalist" setup and I run it on a night cap for less weight and bulk on head. The chinese ecoti actually works pretty well, though they are hard to get in the states. There's a dumbed down version of the vectronix ecoti coming out eventually, for $6,500.

C - 2 x 14s and a coti. This setup is good for driving vehicles with glass or in rough terrain where depth of field is important.

R - 14 and N18 and coti. This is the "full kit, does it all" solution. The n18 provides long distance scanning and PID hands free while moving. The coti enhances ability to engage quickly with laser, the 14 can see the laser or other vis or ir light emissions which enhance safety.

The long battery compartment has an 18650 in it. You can also run a single c123 with the battery compartment extension removed to further reduce weight/bulk if desired.

I use Nox-18 (remove the wpn mount to reduce bulk and weight) beside pvs-14 and it works great for me. Size / weight wise its 1/2 way between the skeet and patrol. Price wise its less than half the cost of a skeet ($15k ish) and a few hundred less than the patrol. All these have the OASYS (aka BAE) cores, which remain king of the hill for what we can buy.
    But if you want to save some $$, we're waiting on the new Armasight "sidekick" which looks a bit like a 640 breach. Those should be out before fall and MSRP around $3,300.

52761968554_fe927b53fe_k.jpg

From left to right (my current 3 helmet set ups)

L - Single 14 and C5E - ecoti ... this is my "minimalist" setup and I run it on a night cap for less weight and bulk on head. The chinese ecoti actually works pretty well, though they are hard to get in the states. There's a dumbed down version of the vectronix ecoti coming out eventually, for $6,500.

C - 2 x 14s and a coti. This setup is good for driving vehicles with glass or in rough terrain where depth of field is important.

R - 14 and N18 and coti. This is the "full kit, does it all" solution. The n18 provides long distance scanning and PID hands free while moving. The coti enhances ability to engage quickly with laser, the 14 can see the laser or other vis or ir light emissions which enhance safety.

The long battery compartment has an 18650 in it. You can also run a single c123 with the battery compartment extension removed to further reduce weight/bulk if desired.

Thanks for the detailed reply, great info. You're the second person that has mentioned the upcoming Sidekick, it'll be interesting to see the final specs on those. The Nox18 has been my main consideration for a setup like you have pictured there on the right. I never even thought about having two setups, DTNVS or 31's were my main considerations if I were to forgo a thermal setup. A lot to think about here, especially if you were to add the Ecoti and or have multiple setups.

Reactions: HunterSmith
    Aye, match the gear to the mission !! :D

And I go out with team members who sometimes "forget" to bring their 14s, so I have extra to loan out :)

Reactions: tex68w
    Aye, match the gear to the mission !! :D

And I go out with team members who sometimes "forget" to bring their 14s, so I have extra to loan out :)

I might be giving you a call soon!

I need a thermal scanner that I can use as a spotter when I go hunting, but also can be fixed in my yard to let me know what animals are coming at night. Have any advise to me?

I need a thermal scanner that I can use as a spotter when I go hunting, but also can be fixed in my yard to let me know what animals are coming at night. Have any advise to me?
    I just got a Zeiss 4/50 and it has movement notification capability, and overall was quite impressive while hunting. PM me if you have any questions, I can have them in hand in a few days :)

Just peered through a Pulsar Axion XMF30? Size of a range finder and definitely lets one see thermal activity of animals out to hundreds of yards. $1500ish. I thought that was a good price on something like that. Is Pulsar a good thermal manufacturer?

In regards to a static unit, like for the homestead, I'm trying out a remote pan tilt ball head spotter so to speak with an Accolade 2 pro lrf while I keep warm with the windows shut. I run the lrf on this unit in scan mode so it's constantly pinging ranges with the viewfinder linked up via wifi to my phone. Took it for its virgin test run last night, no coyotes on the property but the deer were enjoying the freshly picked corn and beans.

Screenshot_20231123_091215_Video Player.jpg

Nest for setup
    Screenshot_20231122_153302_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20231122_164920_Gallery.jpg

In regards to a static unit, like for the homestead, I'm trying out a remote pan tilt ball head spotter so to speak with an Accolade 2 pro lrf while I keep warm with the windows shut. I run the lrf on this unit in scan mode so it's constantly pinging ranges with the viewfinder linked up via wifi to my phone. Took it for its virgin test run last night, no coyotes on the property but the deer were enjoying the freshly picked corn and beans.

View attachment 8279409

Nest for setup
    View attachment 8279410View attachment 8279411
    That is an exquisite hunt shack. I feel bad for calling it a "shack" as well.

Reactions: Shifty6BR