• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thermal spotter with range finder

Davis0311

Private
Minuteman
Aug 13, 2023
Kentucky
I’m in the market for a thermal spotter with a range finder built in, if that kind of thing even exists. I am not looking for a rifle mounted optic or some thermal imaging camera to take pictures…. I’m looking for an actual handheld spotter scope that has a range finder and thermal IR capabilities, if not then a really good rangefinder that won’t break me in the bank. I typically like Vortex Optics but I’ll take any recommendations and I have no experience with spotter scopes either just rifle optics. Any help would be appreciated, thank you!

@Davis0311 Sounds like you’re in the market for a handheld thermal scanner with a built in LRF. I’m not familiar with thermal/IR combo units (thermal tech differs from IR night vision). If it’s a thermal unit that you’re seeking, Pulsar is a good brand using components that produce good image quality. Iray is another brand whose image quality that I like. Do you have a budget you’d like to adhere to? Here’s a link to a podcast episode discussing a Pulsar unit. I’ve learned a lot from these guys.

The model below is a good example of a quality handheld thermal scanner with an LRF.

Here’s a page with a list of several brands and models of handheld thermal scanner. Be sure that the ones you’re viewing have the LRF (laser range finder) feature. I’d stay away from AGM products unless you’re on a budget. Their image quality does not compare to Pulsar and Iray from what I’ve seen. I’m not sure if you want something that has a removable battery vs an internal battery or something with the option to mount to a helmet. Also pay attention to the detection ranges attributed to these units in their specs and descriptions - specifically the ID range. Peruse the options below to shop or at least use the listed items as a baseline to refine your search.

Eye fatigue is something to consider if you haven’t already. I’d look at thermal monoculars as opposed to binoculars so that you don’t strain both eyes transitioning from viewing images on an illuminated screen periodically, then allowing your pupils to dilate when going back to trying to view things in the darkness. Over time that tires the eyes. At least that’s been my experience hunting at night. Anyhow, I hope some of this info is helpful to you.

Last edited:
What’s your budget.?

Cheapest would probably be to get a S35 and put a radius on it

Reactions: Davis0311

Thank you guys for your inputs! It does really help me a lot! I have zero experience with monos, binos, range finders, spotter scopes and thermal devices so as far as budget goes I don’t want to spend a couple grand on a device unless I absolutely have to for the best quality but maybe like $1,000 or so… that way if it breaks or gets lost it won’t break my heart too much to replace or fix it but a good quality for the value (Like my BCM AR pistol) and idk shit about range finders or spotting scopes that’s why I’m trying to get into them for hunting and hiking applications. I was looking at the SIG KILO 3000 BDX last night and Vortex Fury 5000, I don’t care if it’s a mono or bino device just something that’s compact enough to put in a cargo pocket without feeling like I’m carrying a bag of rocks in my pocket that can zoom in/out and I’d prefer Thermal for Day/low light settings (idk the difference between thermal and IR either I just assumed they’re the same thing honestly) but definitely with a range finder included in it. I was looking at the Pulsar before hand and it was talking about taking pictures about uploading them I believe the same way as a ATN OTS XLT and I assumed they’re like pocket size thermal cameras.

When I was in the Marines I always wished I had like a pocket range finder that I could zoom in/out with and have thermal capabilities in order to see heat signatures during day or night and be able to tell unknown distances while doing training exercises. I know it more than likely sounds stupid and we had some wiggle room with what we could bring to the field with us but something like that would’ve been too expensive and seen as a dumb thing to bring in the first place but I had a buddy who was a machine gunner with weapons platoon and so since the M240 comes with a thermal device to mount on top yo be used with the SDO during low light applications he decided to use it one night/morning as a standalone thermal monocular device and saw another platoon slowly and stealthily pushing our position, he pointed it out to my Lt. and handed him the thermal optic then almost immediately right after my platoon commander gives us the orders to fire at the incoming platoon so they didn’t even stand a chance. Now mind you this was just a training exercise in the backwoods of Lejeune but still his use of the Thermal device was ingenius and I wish I had something like that to pair with my issued PVS-14s so it doesn’t seem like a dumb non-essential item to bring to the field but something I wish I had the money for back then as an E-3 and now that I have the money and ability to do so I’d want to get one now but for hunting and hiking 🤣🤣

I have a few Pulsar units..have served me well.

For a spotter I'm running their Accolade 2 pro lrf. Their newer production units have several improvements across the board.

They also have a line of on-board lrf scopes.

Screenshot_20230822_193034_Video Player.jpg

I have a few Pulsar units..have served me well.

For a spotter I'm running their Accolade 2 pro lrf. Their newer production units have several improvements across the board.

They also have a line of on-board lrf scopes.

View attachment 8210607
What’s the maximum magnification on that? Where it says “Rec.” does that mean it’s a thermal camera or a thermal scanner with recording capabilities? I’m assuming the 442 is the objects range? If so can I change the color of it so it’s not blended in the white background?

I have the pulsar xq35 lrf. wish I would of bought it years ago. Have it on a lanyard. I have had thermals for 7 years and used Silencerco Radius on gun for range finding Along with thermals. For hog hunting This is so much easier and takes weight off gun and doesn’t need zeroed.

What’s the maximum magnification on that? Where it says “Rec.” does that mean it’s a thermal camera or a thermal scanner with recording capabilities? I’m assuming the 442 is the objects range? If so can I change the color of it so it’s not blended in the white background?
It can go 8x its native mag of 2.5 but it gets pretty pixel-ated as you're cutting the resolution down as you magnify. As a spotter I like a wide field of view tbh.

Its a great time to be alive as most thermals these days have on board recording capabilities for video and snapping pics. The pic is thru a set of binos so to speak but most scopes, monos, etc have recording capabilities if you comb thru the specs.

Yes 442 was the range to object, the lrf was in scan mode so it will ping ranges on the move. I haven't looked into changing the color type on the range display and such, tbh not sure if it is in options, but yes, there are several color pallettes to choose from to offset the info display.

Color pallettes, hopefully some other users will chime in but I have a thermion 2 xp50 as well and it too has same pallette choices.
Screenshot_20230822_212238_Video Player.jpg

I have the pulsar xq35 lrf. wish I would of bought it years ago. Have it on a lanyard. I have had thermals for 7 years and used Silencerco Radius on gun for range finding Along with thermals. For hog hunting This is so much easier and takes weight off gun and doesn’t need zeroed.
That sounds like just the thing I’m looking for! I keep seeing different X models like XQ and XG models of these is there a big difference between them and price?

It can go 8x its native mag of 2.5 but it gets pretty pixel-ated as you're cutting the resolution down as you magnify. As a spotter I like a wide field of view tbh.

Its a great time to be alive as most thermals these days have on board recording capabilities for video and snapping pics. The pic is thru a set of binos so to speak but most scopes, monos, etc have recording capabilities if you comb thru the specs.

Yes 442 was the range to object, the lrf was in scan mode so it will ping ranges on the move. I haven't looked into changing the color type on the range display and such, tbh not sure if it is in options, but yes, there are several color pallettes to choose from to offset the info display.
Is that why you prefer the binos over the mono Axion for the larger field of view???

Color pallettes, hopefully some other users will chime in but I have a thermion 2 xp50 as well and it too has same pallette choices. View attachment 8210721
That looks insane man!! I saw the Accolade go for like $5,000 it looks like a neat toy but idk if I’ll ever spend 5k for something like that if the 2.5k Axion 2 is just as good and more pocket sized unless I’m missing something about either one again idk shit about them lol

The axions look good, and tbh binos are a bit bulkier, I have a setup for this one in a tripod and such stationary so I have it for a special purpose, other times I just make my buddy haul it and scan 🤣.

Axion looks like a real good buy, I think, not 100% but they have all the same options as the Accolade which seems to be a standard. Plenty of positive vid reviews about.

I've been running the Finder 35 for a while now and it is excellent (previously run a Helion XP50). It's the pick of the market for me at the moment and I am content with it as a tool that works (well).

The axions look good, and tbh binos are a bit bulkier, I have a setup for this one in a tripod and such stationary so I have it for a special purpose, other times I just make my buddy haul it and scan 🤣.

Axion looks like a real good buy, I think, not 100% but they have all the same options as the Accolade which seems to be a standard. Plenty of positive vid reviews about.
So whenever you bring the Accolade 2 out in the field you typically set it up on a tripod and make your buddy carry it? Is it that bulky? 🤣

Reactions: mikefraz
So whenever you bring the Accolade 2 out in the field you typically set it up on a tripod and make your buddy carry it? Is it that bulky? 🤣
🤣 No I use it hand held, or pass it to my hunting buddy so he scan all hand held in the field.

I've been hunting out blinds the past year or two to and less just setup in the field to keep warm, this year Im building a 10x10 elevated shooting house, and the plan is to frame a little window with. a retractable shelf which I can mount the Accolade to a small tripod and pan and scan via a remote pan head and keep an eye on the field using the wifi remote view thru the Pulsar's stream vision app.

So basically I can keep an eye out while having the windows closed and heat in yet still be able to scan thru my phone/laptop.

🤣 No I use it hand held, or pass it to my hunting buddy so he scan all hand held in the field.

I've been hunting out blinds the past year or two to and less just setup in the field to keep warm, this year Im building a 10x10 elevated shooting house, and the plan is to frame a little window with. a retractable shelf which I can mount the Accolade to a small tripod and pan and scan via a remote pan head and keep an eye on the field using the wifi remote view thru the Pulsar's stream vision app.

So basically I can keep an eye out while having the windows closed and heat in yet still be able to scan thru my phone/laptop.
That sounds like a badass set up man!!

Reactions: Shifty6BR
Call outdoor legacy, they will be happy to walk you through options. I have bought over 20k of scopes from them

Yeah I wish it was a 1-10

For a spotter where there are close shots available 2.5 is high IMO
Yes, prior to the Accolade I was using a gen1 Trail xp50 lrf as a spotter...it was at 1.6 native mag iirc. Kinda regret selling it but tbh the new axions look pretty sweet, compact.