• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thermal Upgrade

Redstache

Private
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2023
Abilene, TX
I am looking to step up a little for pig and predator hunting. I have been using a Hogster Stimulus with great success but want to upgrade for easier recognition. I have a $3000 limit and would love 640 resolution but good 384 would work as well. LRF is obviously nice but not a necessity. Have eyes on Iray, Pulsar, Bering or AGM in that range. I know there is a lot of negative stuff around ATN but I have a day/night IR setup that has worked well for me so not afraid of ATN like a Thor 4. Some open field shooting as well as heavy brush in areas. Hoping to catch a good holiday sale on what I'm looking for. Have no experience with Iray or Pulsar but feel like they have some of the best technology in my price range. Any feedback would be appreciated.

I went AGM Rattler TS50-640. It showed up yesterday, so I haven’t had a chance to hunt with it, or use it a whole lot, I took it outside and spent an hour or so messing with it, and its impressive fire the price. It even picked up a jet flying WAY far away…Surprisingly clearly enough to tell it was a passenger jet. I’m happy with it, but it’s a bit more than your price limit. Amazon prime has them for $3,795.

I mean, sure, it’s not an iRay RICO 75 or anything, but also doesn’t cost $17,000, either.

Last edited:
Reactions: DIBBS
I went AGM Rattler TS50-640. It showed up tray, so I haven’t had a chance to hunt with it, or use it a whole lot, I took it outside and spent an hour or so messing with it, and its impressive fire the price. It even picked up a jet flying WAY far away…Surprisingly clearly enough to tell it was a passenger jet. I’m happy with it, but it’s a bit more than your price limit. Amazon prime has them for $3,795.

I mean, sure, it’s not an iRay RICO 75 or anything, but also doesn’t cost $17,000, either.
I am very familiar with AGM as 2 teammates use them, just the 384 though. The TS35 640 is going for 3k right now. That is at the top of my wishlist.

Reactions: FuhQ
I am very familiar with AGM as 2 teammates use them, just the 384 though. The TS35 640 is going for 3k right now. That is at the top of my wishlist.
If I’m remembering correctly, it has similar specs to the 50, other than objective size, so should be a nice unit. 👍🏼

If I’m remembering correctly, it has similar specs to the 50, other than objective size, so should be a nice unit. 👍🏼
Correct. Everything else the same. I've not used or even looked thru a 640 before. I like Bering Optics but their 640 Super Yoter is a little out of range.

Reactions: FuhQ
Correct. Everything else the same. I've not used or even looked thru a 640 before. I like Bering Optics but their 640 Super Yoter is a little out of range.
I spent a few hours looking through a Trijicon REAP-IR 60mm ($10,000 MSRP, so twice the Rattler TS50-640), and the only difference in specs in the Trijicon has a 60mm obj. and 60Hz frame rate, and the Rattler 640 is 50mm & 50Hz. Hopefully the guy that owns it will have it at the range this weekend when I go to sight mine in (he usually does), and I’ll compare them side by side. But from memory, the Rattler might actually have better background image quality. I’ll try to get some pics this weekend.

Take a look at the Pulsar Talion XG35 2-16 Thermal Riflescope #PL76563U This is a refurb, with a Pulsar 1 year warranty, that we have on sale reduced from $4,299.97 to only $2,799.99
  • Pro-grade sensor with thermal sensitivity <40mK
  • Multi-point prism mount for exact positioning on a rifle
  • Precision aiming in “Picture-inpicture” mode
  • 7+ hours of work on a single charge
  • Wi-Fi integration with iOS & Android devices. Stream Vision 2 application.
  • Focus adjustment with tactile marker set for nighttime shots
  • Lightweight and rugged magnesium alloy housing
  • 3 sensitivity amplification levels
  • Variable magnification
  • Photo and video recording
  • All control elements in direct access.
  • Waterproof IPX7 housing
  • High caliber recoil resistance: 12 gauge, 9.3x64, .375H&H
  • 5 shooting profiles / 50 zeroing distances
  • 10 reticle shapes in 9 color modes
  • Rapid extraction battery mechanism
  • A selection of different color palettes

Reactions: khel and doubloon
I spent a few hours looking through a Trijicon REAP-IR 60mm ($10,000 MSRP, so twice the Rattler TS50-640), and the only difference in specs in the Trijicon has a 60mm obj. and 60Hz frame rate, and the Rattler 640 is 50mm & 50Hz. Hopefully the guy that owns it will have it at the range this weekend when I go to sight mine in (he usually does), and I’ll compare them side by side. But from memory, the Rattler might actually have better background image quality. I’ll try to get some pics this weekend.
I don’t think those are the only 2 differences

I don’t think those are the only 2 differences
Excuse me, he has a Trijicon IR-HUNTER 60mm MK2 (which is almost identical to the REAP-IR, it just has the knobs on top instead of buttons.

They look pretty damn close to me... And the AGM actually has better thermal resolution according to these specs straight off both websites...

AGM Rattler TS50-640

Screenshot 2023-12-13 at 6.09.58 PM.png

Trijicon IR-HUNTER 60-2

Screenshot 2023-12-13 at 6.07.02 PM.png