• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kmartinusa

Private
Minuteman
Aug 21, 2020
NWOK
Long time listener, first time caller.

I have spent the last two weeks following a similar jump into the world of thermal optics this past summer and all I manage to do is confuse myself. I’m posting because I’m just frustrated and tired of running in freaking circles…I live in a small town so it’s not like I can run down to (fill in the blank) and handle/try out anything; I’m entirely reliant on the internet/forums and I’m just getting nowhere.

I’m looking for two things. The first and one that’s confusing me is a thermal weapon sight. I’m north of 50, I’ve learned to buy the one I want first because it’s far more expensive to ladder my way up and I’ll end up with that one way or another anyway.

Best example is probably early in my hunting career, also optics. I bought three sets of binos up until I finally got what I really wanted…a nice pair of rangefinder binos. Would have been way less expensive to just save up and get what I wanted although it’s nice to have a couple of pretty good binos for the kids or friends who forget or don’t have them or whatever. Also I never wonder if I could see better with a little bit better glass.

This stuff is far too expensive to go jacking around with and I don’t want to buy three to get the fourth that I really want, so here I am. I cannot be the only one who finds this incredibly confusing.

Plan is to buy Pulsar XR50’s for scanning and a dedicated weapon sight for rifle(s).

I think I’ve learned enough to know that 640 is an important number, I don’t care whether I can record video at all, in fact I won’t use that feature at all. I just don’t want to have buyers remorse. I’ll shoot inside of 300 and may swap between a .300BO and 6.5 Grendel, both are AR’s but primary is .300BO. I’d like it to range whatever I’m looking at and would like to zero a couple of reticles to my rifles/loads.

Of course the first question back at me is probably, “What’s your budget?” The answer is I don’t know. Maybe below $8k? $5000? No idea. Brand? Don’t know, don’t care. I like and run Trijicon and EoTech among other brands on different rifles but I’m not married to any of them. My open tabs on my ipad right now are, “I Ray”, “Trijicon”, “Halo-LR” but because I’ve got over 100 tabs open that’s just the start. I’m not above buying used either.

Would one or more of you who knows this stuff be so kind as to throw two or three brands/models out there that you believe will fit the bill? Say run the spectrum of $3500-$8000.

I should have done this about July so I could shop and potentially grab one at some sort of a decent price. Now is most likely the time that demand is strongest so I suspect price is not moving around much.

Will probably buy this first and wait on the binos…it’s a lot of $ and I dang sure want to know I’m going to use this stuff enough to justify the spend.

Since I’ve got you…are the Pulsar binos I mentioned what I ought to be looking at? Are there others/as good/better at roughly the same price?

Thanks guys, and I’m sure thankful for forums such as this where others give so freely of their experience/knowledge. I’d chime in if I thought I’d be helpful but since this stuff is NOT my specialty I just keep my mouth shut and am thankful for those who give so freely of their experience/knowledge to complete strangers. If you want to know something about inshore gulf coast fishing or smoking ribs…happy to oblige with what I know. That’s all I’ll claim to be half good at.

Rule 1: Don't buy anything that uses proprietary batteries or has an enclosed battery that you recharge that cannot be removed and replaced by other than the factory.

Rule 2: Always buy a thermal unit that can be powered by RECHARGEABLE batteries that can easily be swapped in an out of a thermal device.

Thermal requires POWA and LOTS of IT. That will get you started. Experts will be along shortly with further advice.

@WhereNow&How is considered an expert no matter what he says about himself!

I'd reevaluate your expectations that you will be shooting your 300 BLK at 300 yds (maybe you will if using supers). If you are using supers in the BLK, then I would guess a range finder may not be as useful inside 300 yards.

Are you happy with how your rifles are set up during the day? I ask because going the clip on route might be an option to consider. Clip ons are great for multiple rifles, and some of them (generally the expensive ones) don't change your POI much, if at all.

You are correct on 640 being a number to pay attention to! Pulsar actually has a 1040 sensor in their XL scope, which really increases the field of view in that unit

Ya k
Rule 1: Don't buy anything that uses proprietary batteries or has an enclosed battery that you recharge that cannot be removed and replaced by other than the factory.
ya know

I bought a set of accolade LRF binoculars cause they were cheap.

And that big ole battery that last forever is nice compared to dumping 123s in Utc skeet utm etc

I've had a Steiner S-35. Currently have a Steiner H35 and a Halo XRF 50. In hindsight I would get a good clip on over a dedicated weapon sight because I would like to have some flexibility in what gun I use. A clip on can be moved between guns pretty easy. But, and this is a major caveat, you've got to be able to range distance at night. Currently only the Halo XRF and a Pulsar unit does this. So I can't replace it with a clip on. If somebody made a clip on with a 640 BAE core and a LRF and sold it for a reasonable price I'd have it tomorrow.

Edit: I think there is some other units that have built in rangefinders now besides the Halo and the Pulsar. @SkyScrapin would know.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kmartinusa
Long time listener, first time caller.

I have spent the last two weeks following a similar jump into the world of thermal optics this past summer and all I manage to do is confuse myself. I’m posting because I’m just frustrated and tired of running in freaking circles…I live in a small town so it’s not like I can run down to (fill in the blank) and handle/try out anything; I’m entirely reliant on the internet/forums and I’m just getting nowhere.

I’m looking for two things. The first and one that’s confusing me is a thermal weapon sight. I’m north of 50, I’ve learned to buy the one I want first because it’s far more expensive to ladder my way up and I’ll end up with that one way or another anyway.

Best example is probably early in my hunting career, also optics. I bought three sets of binos up until I finally got what I really wanted…a nice pair of rangefinder binos. Would have been way less expensive to just save up and get what I wanted although it’s nice to have a couple of pretty good binos for the kids or friends who forget or don’t have them or whatever. Also I never wonder if I could see better with a little bit better glass.

This stuff is far too expensive to go jacking around with and I don’t want to buy three to get the fourth that I really want, so here I am. I cannot be the only one who finds this incredibly confusing.

Plan is to buy Pulsar XR50’s for scanning and a dedicated weapon sight for rifle(s).

I think I’ve learned enough to know that 640 is an important number, I don’t care whether I can record video at all, in fact I won’t use that feature at all. I just don’t want to have buyers remorse. I’ll shoot inside of 300 and may swap between a .300BO and 6.5 Grendel, both are AR’s but primary is .300BO. I’d like it to range whatever I’m looking at and would like to zero a couple of reticles to my rifles/loads.

Of course the first question back at me is probably, “What’s your budget?” The answer is I don’t know. Maybe below $8k? $5000? No idea. Brand? Don’t know, don’t care. I like and run Trijicon and EoTech among other brands on different rifles but I’m not married to any of them. My open tabs on my ipad right now are, “I Ray”, “Trijicon”, “Halo-LR” but because I’ve got over 100 tabs open that’s just the start. I’m not above buying used either.

Would one or more of you who knows this stuff be so kind as to throw two or three brands/models out there that you believe will fit the bill? Say run the spectrum of $3500-$8000.

I should have done this about July so I could shop and potentially grab one at some sort of a decent price. Now is most likely the time that demand is strongest so I suspect price is not moving around much.

Will probably buy this first and wait on the binos…it’s a lot of $ and I dang sure want to know I’m going to use this stuff enough to justify the spend.

Since I’ve got you…are the Pulsar binos I mentioned what I ought to be looking at? Are there others/as good/better at roughly the same price?

Thanks guys, and I’m sure thankful for forums such as this where others give so freely of their experience/knowledge. I’d chime in if I thought I’d be helpful but since this stuff is NOT my specialty I just keep my mouth shut and am thankful for those who give so freely of their experience/knowledge to complete strangers. If you want to know something about inshore gulf coast fishing or smoking ribs…happy to oblige with what I know. That’s all I’ll claim to be half good at.
The important numbers with thermals are 640 resolution, and 50Hz refresh rate. The larger the objective (25mm, 35mm, 50mm, etc...) the farther away you will be able to cleanly detect heat.

Right now you get a free thermal monocular with purchase from now until 12/6, I believe... If you add it to your cart, it automatically adds the free $400 thermal monocular in the cart, as well. 👍🏼

Anybody use Thermal Monocular for spotting. I could make someone a great Christmas present.

Doesn’t make it any less worthless. Maybe a good toy for a kid I guess

Reactions: Ezr She
Doesn’t make it any less worthless. Maybe a good toy for a kid I guess
I didn’t say it was amazing or awesome, I just linked him to a nice LRF thermal scope And mentioned the free offer they are having right now. What’s wrong with that?

It’s free… Which means it’s probably not a big seller, so 9/10 times It’s not going to be spectacular. Free is free, and like mentioned above, would make a nice Christmas present for someone. 🤷🏼

Reactions: BurtG
I sent you a PM with my contact information. I test thermals and help people find the best thermal for their specific use case. If you wish to dig deep into the topic, just reach out. Too much to cover in a forum post.

@Kmartinusa. The first question is what you huntin, hogs, yotes etc. Or for potential protection from Joe Shit The Thug.
I second this as Question Numero Uno……which will determine the basic requirements of the thermal…..and thus an idea of what specs you need to consider in determining the best product……and also the caliber of choice. I can speak of that part of it for the piggies but not so much for the yotes….and definitely not for the JSTG😄as so eloquently described by @WhereNow&How but any will probably do for that type prey.

@WhereNow&How is considered an expert no matter what he says about himself!

I'd reevaluate your expectations that you will be shooting your 300 BLK at 300 yds (maybe you will if using supers). If you are using supers in the BLK, then I would guess a range finder may not be as useful inside 300 yards.

Are you happy with how your rifles are set up during the day? I ask because going the clip on route might be an option to consider. Clip ons are great for multiple rifles, and some of them (generally the expensive ones) don't change your POI much, if at all.

You are correct on 640 being a number to pay attention to! Pulsar actually has a 1040 sensor in their XL scope, which really increases the field of view in that unit
Correct- subs don’t fly very fast very far, understand. I’ve got both, subs for in the back yard where range is irrelevant. Supers for elsewhere and as I mentioned, 6.5G is another rifle I’d like to use for this.

I have no experience using this stuff- if I’m looking through a thermal at a coyote at night out of a blind or in a field, don’t know if I can tell how far it is. I have only been out sharing w/a friend one time for maybe 45m. Seems as though it would be good or at least handy to know how far I’m looking.

Happy w/the 6.5, have ZCO 420 that I’m really happy with for that one. .300BO is still kind of new to me, unsure. Have a couple of options; right now I’ve got a Burris 1-6 that’s worked fine at the range and an Eotec XPS2/magnifier (made for .300BO) that I haven’t yet tried.

Hope this helps to narrow the field. Seems like I need a clip-on for the 6.5 and a dedicated for the .300 or a dedicated to swap out between both of them.

Actually I need nothing. It’s a total want but I’ve been obsessed since looking through those dumb binos. What y’all who have this stuff are able to do is simply amazing.

Now if I could just stay up past 10pm I’d be in business. :)

Thank you for taking the time. I quickly scanned the replies last week, had a minute and this is how far I’ve gotten tonight.

Will continue when I get home.

Thanks again-

Kevin

Reactions: rlsmith1
Depends on your budget, but if you want the best do-all unit it sounds like the Voodoo S is the one to get. I’ve got a NOX18 and absolutely love it but wish it could function as a clip on

If given a choice would the experts go external Vortex Impact 4000 WMLRF on a bridge + thermal clip-on or a dedicated thermal with built-in LRF?

I can see arguments either way. The former would seem to allow for a cheaper thermal and allow day shooting with one’s chosen scope and you can use the Vortex WMLRF in both day or night.

The latter would seem to offer a more efficient night hunt.

I suppose there’s the option 3, which is Vortex WMLRF + dedicated thermal scope.

But I have no night hunting experience. What day you, experts?