• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Thermion w ballistic software

wildfowler

Private
Minuteman
Mar 8, 2010
mis'sippi
Just got a new Thermion XP50 pro LRF and zeroed it in at 100 yards tonight using IMI 77 grain ammo. I chose to manually enter all the data instead of choosing the pre-loaded black hills ammunition choice which may work just fine in this application.

I will be happy to try and screenshot or call out any specific parameters I chose, but I feel like I got everything entered correctly.

Wondering if anyone here has the same scope and more importantly, can anyone here tell me what the best parameter to tweak so that my ballistic compensated shot impact better matches my point of aim.

Currently, I have only fired it at 200 and then 300 yards just now using the ballistic compensation feature and was pleased that the elevation of impacts from both distances were the same. The group, however, was about 2 inches lower than my aiming point.

So I’m very close and would like to discuss this with anyone else who may have the same scope, and knows how to tweak the ballistic settings.

Thanks.

Just got a new Thermion XP50 pro LRF and zeroed it in at 100 yards tonight using IMI 77 grain ammo. I chose to manually enter all the data instead of choosing the pre-loaded black hills ammunition choice which may work just fine in this application.

I will be happy to try and screenshot or call out any specific parameters I chose, but I feel like I got everything entered correctly.

Wondering if anyone here has the same scope and more importantly, can anyone here tell me what the best parameter to tweak so that my ballistic compensated shot impact better matches my point of aim.

Currently, I have only fired it at 200 and then 300 yards just now using the ballistic compensation feature and was pleased that the elevation of impacts from both distances were the same. The group, however, was about 2 inches lower than my aiming point.

So I’m very close and would like to discuss this with anyone else who may have the same scope, and knows how to tweak the ballistic settings.

Thanks.
This is a cool feature with a thermal and I am interested in the results. The quick answer that comes to mind is that your Velocity parameter is too high. Sounds as though you just need to lower the velocity until it matches the POI. For example if you are using a velocity of 2700...lower it to 2650 and verify. Adjust again if needed. I haven't used the software, but I assume it's like any other ballistic app.

That was the only thing I changed while I was set up to shoot. Changed the velocity and No joy so far.

No joy. Let me correct that. I have two other 640 scopes that are well past six years old. This scope is a dramatic improvement in clarity. So there is much joy in the improvement in the image quality.

The bigger problem I may be faced with is the large red X, that the scope generates to use as the aiming/ranging reticle after initiating the laser range finder.

It’s pretty large compared to the standard reticle. So there may be some additional learning needed on my behalf to be able to use it properly.

Thanks for the reply.

Edit: It was pretty dang humid tonight and I was sweating my nut off.

Probably drop back and punt until tomorrow and try again.

Reactions: MuleyTime
I spoke with a technician at Pulsar today. He conceded that being off only 2 inches high or low at the calculated range of 200, and 300 yards may be about as good as I can get it. I’m basically at the limitation of the pixel size. He also seem to imply that 300 yards would be considered long range for this device. I have a 400 yard range in my backyard and don’t consider. They need to try and shoot behind 500 yards ever with what I’m doing.

Hopefully in the next day or two, I will shoot this at 400 yards and see where I am.

The image on this is very sharp, and seems to have a very usable image even at the highest zoom setting.

Pulsar also suggested tweaking the velocity.

The one thing I don’t like is the compensated reticle generated is rather large. I mentioned this, and he said other users have said the same thing. He didn’t specifically tell me they’re working on it, but he said they have passed the feedback along.

That’s all I can think of for now.

Reactions: MuleyTime