• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

They are out

nagantguy

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
Aug 28, 2020
Who else has seen a woodchuck this spring . I’ve seen 3 in my AO here in MI. 2 while driving and one yesterday morning cutting firewood. It has been a fairly mild winter but a brutal March but seeing woodchucks and now red wing black birds tells me it’s about over . Can’t wait for some reactive target practice .

Reactions: YotaEer and Pbgt
You saw a woodchuck cutting firewood.
iu

How much wood did the woodchuck chuck?

No Marmots yet but shot a couple gophers yesterday
Today they are under a foot of new snow
H

Reactions: Modoc
Have shot two whistlepigs and seen a third here in Mid Michigan.
I’ve heard that phrase whistlepig from time to time but not very often from a fellow Michigander . Woodchuck and or groundhog . Is that the common thing you call them? I’ve heard it mostly from guys from the East coast?

And as everyone seems a little on edge , no criticism not calling it wrong . Just wondered where you picked up that name ?

And now just a few days later I’ve seen a few more and have several active holes on the farm and hunting property and a neighboring farm that I do varmint control on.

I’ve heard that phrase whistlepig from time to time but not very often from a fellow Michigander . Woodchuck and or groundhog . Is that the common thing you call them? I’ve heard it mostly from guys from the East coast?

And as everyone seems a little on edge , no criticism not calling it wrong . Just wondered where you picked up that name ?

And now just a few days later I’ve seen a few more and have several active holes on the farm and hunting property and a neighboring farm that I do varmint control on.
Groundhogs are also referred to as woodchucks or whistlepigs. They are a member of the squirrel family. There are six species of woodchucks and marmots that occur in the U.S. They sometimes let out a shrill whistle like sound as a warning to danger. I've had some limited success in getting them out of their burrows by letting out a short, loud whistle. I have heard and seen Western Marmots doing it as well.
tI’ve heard that phrase whistlepig from time to time but not very often from a fellow Michigander . Woodchuck and or groundhog . Is that the common thing you call them? I’ve heard it mostly from guys from the East coast?

Just shot my first one of the year - he unfortunately rolled off the mound and got into his hole . Damn

Saw a few up in VA a couple weeks ago. I didn't shoot any though. I usually wait until June to start shooting them so the pups are grown enough for a more target rich environment.

So I got two yesterday.
The one mostly in the hole at about 65 yards and the one belly up at about 48 yards . Not long shots by any means but I’ve always seen varmint hunting as good training- small targets at unknown distances often on the move with one chance to do quick head math shoulder rifle and make first round hits .
And this was a male and female in the same field- which will need plowed soon so these two would be 8-10 in a few weeks and that 8-10 would be 30 40 by next spring .
2632FC9B-D87F-403F-8998-3D4AC78AD1E0.jpegE36F3D83-41DF-4F4D-B0D6-C40D3A8668FA.jpeg