• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Movie Theater They shall not grow old.

My Grandfather fought at Meuse-Argonne and Ypres where he was wounded in action.
It was a horrible war (not that any are good) and I will have a hard time watching.

I need to find a theater on the 17th. I think too often this country forgets about both generations. Mainly WWI but the point still stands, glad to see someone in Hollywood bringing it to light.

Reactions: splean
Just to throw a "German perspective" in.

My great-grandfathers and grandfathers fought in both great wars.
One of them died in WW I at the Somme, another one was a POW after WW II in Russia for 8 years and "survived" (physically).
A lot of our relatives in that generation didn´t make it, some children and women too.

I don´t want to cry about that, just set a statement as it is what it is.
History books tell often only one side of the coin, and the winners dictate who the aggressor was.
Which doesn´t mean that I want to defend the Nazis in the 3rd Reich at all, respetively what they did in Holocaust.
That has been the biggest crime in human history what I know.
So don´t get me wrong, I don´t want to wash anyone clean, but sometimes I wished the dirt would be more regular spread, to speak in pictures.

Every Nation and every family who suffered or had victims in those or any wars has my deep compassion, no matter who they are or where they come from.

But I see a really huge difference in the historical debate of those wars or in the dealing with Veterans then - and nowadays - in the States or over here.
Myself, as a Veteran of the Bundeswehr (which never fought in a war, but stood at the border when the wall came down) wearing the yellow ribbon for respect and support for the soldiers in action, were attacked by some leftist scum about two years ago.

There are no hero films of soldiers in Germany, not from WW I or II, not from now in Afghanistan or elsewhere.
The memorials with the names of the fallen soldiers which have been here around in almost every village are either pulled down or castrated from any signs of the military.
When soldiers come home from their tours from overseas no one would clap or welcome them.
Even a soldier in uniform is not safe of being insulted or worse if he walks in public.
There is no patriotism of any kind, if you show or express patriotism (not nationalism) of any kind, you are pressed as a Nazi.
You can´t show the national flag or sing the hymn of the BRD without being suspected.
The only place where this still is possible is at football games of the national team, which now is only named "the team" (die Mannschaft) and no longer national team.
Some green politicians even tried to ban the shirts of "the team" from the fans.
The nations in the EUdSSR should all be forgotten.

So on one side I´m a bit jealous and on the other side I´m ashamed of how the Germans treat their grandfathers which fought and died in the wars for their family and country.
Maybe they were misguided and had the wrong motives, but aren´t that all soldiers in some way?
Finally they fought for themselves, the man next to them, for their homes and families, like every soldier does.

I think we, the people of the western nations sharing the same values, should hold together and not being split by any politicians.

To close the circle, I really like to watch those Hollywood movies of the great wars, have seen all of them.
But I´m sick of still seeing the Germans as the bad guys, which were eating children or using saw-bayonets to rip up virgins.
That wasn´t true then, not for the Germans and not for any nation, and the war propaganda of today isn´t either in most any way.

"Wag the dog!" was a great movie too, which I liked.

Best wishes from Freiburg / Black Forest,
Jay

One of them died in WW I at the Somme, another one was a POW after WW II in Russia for 8 years and "survived" (physically).
A lot of our relatives in that generation didn´t make it, some children and women too.

I don´t want to cry about that, just set a statement as it is what it is.
History books tell often only one side of the coin, and the winners dictate who the aggressor was.
Which doesn´t mean that I want to defend the Nazis in the 3rd Reich at all, respetively what they did in Holocaust.
That has been the biggest crime in human history what I know.
So don´t get me wrong, I don´t want to wash anyone clean, but sometimes I wished the dirt would be more regular spread, to speak in pictures.

Every Nation and every family who suffered or had victims in those or any wars has my deep compassion, no matter who they are or where they come from.

But I see a really huge difference in the historical debate of those wars or in the dealing with Veterans then - and nowadays - in the States or over here.
Myself, as a Veteran of the Bundeswehr (which never fought in a war, but stood at the border when the wall came down) wearing the yellow ribbon for respect and support for the soldiers in action, were attacked by some leftist scum about two years ago.

There are no hero films of soldiers in Germany, not from WW I or II, not from now in Afghanistan or elsewhere.
The memorials with the names of the fallen soldiers which have been here around in almost every village are either pulled down or castrated from any signs of the military.
When soldiers come home from their tours from overseas no one would clap or welcome them.
Even a soldier in uniform is not safe of being insulted or worse if he walks in public.
There is no patriotism of any kind, if you show or express patriotism (not nationalism) of any kind, you are pressed as a Nazi.
You can´t show the national flag or sing the hymn of the BRD without being suspected.
The only place where this still is possible is at football games of the national team, which now is only named "the team" (die Mannschaft) and no longer national team.
Some green politicians even tried to ban the shirts of "the team" from the fans.
The nations in the EUdSSR should all be forgotten.

So on one side I´m a bit jealous and on the other side I´m ashamed of how the Germans treat their grandfathers which fought and died in the wars for their family and country.
Maybe they were misguided and had the wrong motives, but aren´t that all soldiers in some way?
Finally they fought for themselves, the man next to them, for their homes and families, like every soldier does.

I think we, the people of the western nations sharing the same values, should hold together and not being split by any politicians.

To close the circle, I really like to watch those Hollywood movies of the great wars, have seen all of them.
But I´m sick of still seeing the Germans as the bad guys, which were eating children or using saw-bayonets to rip up virgins.
That wasn´t true then, not for the Germans and not for any nation, and the war propaganda of today isn´t either in most any way.

Jay

One thing I learned early in my military career, all soldiers think they are doing the right thing for their country and that they are the "good guys". I have killed my enemies, but I do not hate them. Very few soldiers are ever really the "bad guy", they are mostly just following orders. Your government (and the rest of the world) have kept the Nazi guilt alive for the purposes of further controlling the population in my opinion. Just like we here in the US are supposed to feel some collective guilt over slavery that ended over 150 years ago and are constantly browbeaten about it. I have been deployed to a few locations where German soldiers operated right along side US soldiers. I found them to be professional, very capable, and just good people like most soldiers are, and I am privileged to have served along side them. Be proud, i'm sorry your nation won't.

I just saw it last night. Great film, I highly recommend! It is composed entirely of original footage "made new". They really did a great job restoring and colorizing the footage. Some of the footage I have seen before and in some cases many times before. The process really brought out a lot of detail and depth that might be missed in its original format. The narration of the film was done entirely from veteran interviews. Additionally there is a half hour section at the end of how it was made. Peter Jackson went to great lengths to get it right. If you have a chance, don't miss out.

We stumbled upon a theatre showing it while travelling through a small town in New Zealand. One of the best war docs Ive seen in awhile. Very well done.

Jay

Jay, I have been to Freiburg and lost family members in WWII. A great old friend of mine who has since passed on was a Sgt in the 82 Airborne and a veteran of most of their actions in the European Theatre. He saw a lot of combat and survived the war. He had only the highest respect for the German people, the German soldiers, and the exceptional military equipment produced by Germany during WWII. He spoke often of his war experiences and had only good to say about Germany. His unit captured a intact Panzer and used it for about a week in France until they were nearly strafed by British Typhoons who mistook them for a retreating German column. After that the Captain made them burn it, lol.

I am writing a historical novel about the experiences of a German fighter pilot in WWII and his time flying first in the battle of Britain and later on the Eastern front against the Stalinist Russians. Also his encounters with female Russian pilots having captured one whose plane was damaged and force landed near his base. It is written from the perspective of the German soldier in that the "Enemy" was the allies. Might make a good movie for you someday. He began flying gliders, then the Bf109, later the Fw190, and finally the Me262 jet late in the war.

Irish

Hey Irish,
nice to hear that.
I would like to read it some day.
Ironically an allied descendant writes that book, or should I say sadly?

If a German would write such a book nowadays he would be called a Nazi in the media, right from the start.
Maybe because you are writing it, it can be sold in this downgoing antidemocratic society, I don´t know.
I wish you luck!

That German pilot seems to have had a long career, which wasn´t very common I guess.

Greetz from the rainy Black Forest,
Jay

I’ve recently looked at this movie & it far exceeded my expectations. The addition of color & remastering the footage is incredible. So much detail was lost in the original B&W footage. Looking at this movie was like taking a step back in time 100 years.

I saw this at the theater and it was awesome, watch the Peter Jackson stuff at the end on how they did it. It tells a terrifying story and there are scenes where every person filmed was killed or wounded within an hour of their being filmed.

It is a great film on WWI

Agree. If you haven't seen this make a point to. I don't know when it will be released for purchase or rental but it should be soon since it was in the theaters awhile back. Seeing it on the big screen really made it worthwhile. You could hear a pin drop in the theater at the end. Staying after the credits for the how they made it with Peter Jackson and the amount of research they put into this is amazing.

Jay, I have been to Freiburg and lost family members in WWII. A great old friend of mine who has since passed on was a Sgt in the 82 Airborne and a veteran of most of their actions in the European Theatre. He saw a lot of combat and survived the war. He had only the highest respect for the German people, the German soldiers, and the exceptional military equipment produced by Germany during WWII. He spoke often of his war experiences and had only good to say about Germany. His unit captured a intact Panzer and used it for about a week in France until they were nearly strafed by British Typhoons who mistook them for a retreating German column. After that the Captain made them burn it, lol.

I am writing a historical novel about the experiences of a German fighter pilot in WWII and his time flying first in the battle of Britain and later on the Eastern front against the Stalinist Russians. Also his encounters with female Russian pilots having captured one whose plane was damaged and force landed near his base. It is written from the perspective of the German soldier in that the "Enemy" was the allies. Might make a good movie for you someday. He began flying gliders, then the Bf109, later the Fw190, and finally the Me262 jet late in the war.

Irish
[/QUOTE

A little late to the party, but please let us know when your book is complete. Can't wait to read it. To date I've knocked off "Stuka pilot", by Rudel, and "blonde knight of Germany" about Erich Hartmann. Both fantastic.

S/F and God bless America