• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Movie Theater They Shall Not Grow Old

hankpac

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Dec 4, 2006
    Texas
    www.tigerforcerecon.com
    Peter Jackson of Lord Of The Rings fame, borrowed some footage of WW1, showed the archivists what he'd like to do, by slowing the jittery camera speed, and colorizing the films. They like what they saw, and gave him the go-ahead. General release Feb 1. Look for it. In 3D! at some venues.
    They Shall Not Grow Old.

I saw it Friday, 3D. Nice job cleaning up the 100 yr old footage. War is hell, and they don't hold back. Very graphic injuries/deaths. Told from an Englishman's perspective, you see the footage and hear the interviews of the vets done some 30 yrs later. You just hate seeing men "go over the top" across a moonscaped, muddy no man's land, then onto a sea of barbed wire. Just foolish. Those WW1 tanks just moved so painfully slowly, bullet /artillery magnets. Got an 8.5 on IMDB. Stay for the credits (there's also a 30 min segment). Can't get that song "Mademoiselle from Armentieres Parlez-Vous " out of my head.

Peter Jackson did an amazing job, it was a really great documentary. The hardest part was seeing footage of those guys in the recessed road and the looks on their faces. They knew they faced certain death in a very few minutes and nearly every one of them was killed shortly after they were filmed. WWI was pretty terrible.

And listening to the stories told by guys later in life was interesting, some of them could be talking about the last war.

I saw it several weeks ago and thought it was really great as well. Jackson's 30 minute or so commentary after the film was worth watching too. The part where he explains how they recreated the scene where the officer is reading his battle-ready message to his troops was pretty neat. As he had family that served in WWI you could see that he took a keen personal interest in this project.

Reactions: tnichols
    I just watched this tonight. Excellent film. Really shows the horrors of warfare, especially on a scale such as WWI. I felt he did an excellent job with it overall. I would have liked to seen footage from the French and the Americans, as well as heard some of their stories, but I also understand that would have been a much larger project and would have likely pushed the length as well as the budget. I honestly have no real complaints. This is a film that will definitely make its way into my personal collection.

Reactions: tnichols
    Just saw it this afternoon. Great film. Can’t imagine the man hours that went into this production. Stay for the “how we did it” part after the credits. I found it very interesting as well.

Reactions: fanninland