• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

They've got the Oceangate

Maggot

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood"
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 27, 2007
    Virginia

Imploded Titanic submarine seen for first time as pieces recovered from sea floor​

Andrea Blanco
    Wed, June 28, 2023 at 11:24 AM CDT

Debris from the Titan was brought ashore by deep-sea robots on Wednesday as the US Coast Guard continues recovery operations following the sub’s catastrophic implosion.
    The Titan’s wreckage was seen for the first time in pictures after the Coast Guard announced on 23 June that ROVs (remotely-operated vehicles) found its chambers in a sea of debris 1,600ft from the bow of the Titanic, roughly 12,000ft below the ocean surface.
    Pelagic Research Services, the company that operated the ROV that made the previous debris findings, said on Wednesday that its team had successfully completed off-shore operations and was now in the process of demobilisation after 10 days of work. The company said a press conference will be held later in the day.
    The photos shared by the Associated Press showed what appeared to be several pieces covered with white tarps being unloaded from the American ships Sycamore and Horizon Arctic at a port in St John’s, Newfoundland.
    The Independent has reached out to the Coast Guard for comment.
    The CEO of the company that operated the Titan, Stockton Rush, British billionaire Hamish Harding, renowned French diver Paul-Henri Nargeolet and Pakistani businessman Shahzada Dawood and his 19-year-old son Suleman were aboard the Titan when it imploded last week.
    The submersible lost contact with its mothership Polar Prince just one hour and 45 minutes into its descent to the wreck of the Titanic on 18 June, sparking a frantic four-day search. Canadian, American and French marine authorities and experts combed large portions of the ocean hoping to find signs of life, before the tragic developments on 23 June.
    Photos shared by the Associated Press showed what appeared to be several pieces covered with white tarps being unloaded from the American ships Sycamore and Horizon Arctic at a port in St John’s, Newfoundland. (AP)

Photos shared by the Associated Press showed what appeared to be several pieces covered with white tarps being unloaded from the American ships Sycamore and Horizon Arctic at a port in St John’s, Newfoundland. (AP)
    The submersible lost contact with its mothership Polar Prince just one hour and 45 minutes into its descent to the wreck of the Titanic on 18 June (AP)

The submersible lost contact with its mothership Polar Prince just one hour and 45 minutes into its descent to the wreck of the Titanic on 18 June (AP)
    The Coast Guard said last week that the US Navy had detected sounds that matched an “implosion or explosion” sometime after the sub vanished and before rescue efforts were launched. Rescue efforts continued at the time because the information was not definitive, the Coast Guard said.
    An international group of agencies is now investigating what may have caused the submersible to implode, and US maritime officials say they’ll issue a report aimed at improving the safety of submersibles worldwide.
    Debris from the Titan submersible, recovered from the ocean floor near the wreck of the Titanic, is unloaded from the shore (AP)

Debris from the Titan submersible, recovered from the ocean floor near the wreck of the Titanic, is unloaded from the shore (AP)
    An international group of agencies is now investigating what may have caused the submersible to implode (AP)

An international group of agencies is now investigating what may have caused the submersible to implode (AP)
    The Coast Guard said over the weekend that salvage operations were ongoing, but recovery of the bodies will be difficult due to the “unforgiving condition” on the ocean floor. A final report will be issued by the International maritime Organisation.

Is it odd to see that one piece with linear separation like that? Totally would not have expected that with a hull unless it was build in segments somehow.

I think that is the rear cover, not the 5 inch thick composite hull.
    Just for reference the force on the view port and flange is a million pounds.

Joints between composites and fittings (two domes) are a problem with material differences. Tube was cut at the ends to mate with the domes.

The time lapse to lay up linear tows and wraps to make a 5 inch thick tube and vacuum bagging in an oven, NOT a pressurized Autoclave makes the composite tube susceptible voids and variable cure.

I think that is the rear cover, not the 5 inch thick composite hull.
    Just for reference the force on the view port and flange is a million pounds.

Joints between composites and fittings (two domes) are a problem with material differences. Tube was cut at the ends to mate with the domes.

The time lapse to lay up linear tows and wraps to make a 5 inch thick tube and vacuum bagging in an oven, NOT a pressurized Autoclave makes the composite tube susceptible voids and variable cure.

And they made it out of plastic.....

Plastic (Graphite/Epoxy), properly constructed and INSPECTED isn't the problem.
    Find a defect, and scrap the part, that's a problem.
    Delaminations, voids, and cure differences during the layup make for a second rate product.

NDE after each and every use would cost a fortune. Cheaper to sign waivers.

Is it odd to see that one piece with linear separation like that? Totally would not have expected that with a hull unless it was build in segments somehow.
    Are you talking about this piece?

089de622dbcd618f2c092848abfeb7ea

That may be a segment of the tail cone which wasn't part of the pressure vessel.

Reactions: NoDopes
    I wouldnt go in that flimsy POS in my tub.They all could have paid me 250k each and i could have taken them to a I-max theatre with a film about the Titanic. Popcorn extra of course.

So why isn't the Titan a grave site? Why did they violate said grave site? Will they do dna testing to see which smear belongs to whom? Do they make caskets that small?

So why isn't the Titan a grave site? Why did they violate said grave site? Will they do dna testing to see which smear belongs to whom? Do they make caskets that small?
    I would think its more like an hiighway accident site.

Though I really dont see thats its worth all the time and effort. We know what happened, the owner committed 'suicide by stupid' and took others with him.

Reactions: Basher and Im2bent