• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Things important for semi-auto match loads?

Birddog1911

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 6, 2009
Peyton, Colorado, USA
Been working on my 77grn SMK match load for my Mk12, and so far my results haven't been as spectacular as I'd want. Perhaps I'm hoping for too much, but maybe there are some things that I could do better. Right now, a 10 shot group is measuring roughly 1". I could point out some touching 3 shot groups, but that isn't gonna help anything, is it?

First, here are the components in my best load so far:

77grn Sierra MatchKing
Privi Partisan brass
CCI 400 primer
24.1 grains Ramshot TAC

All brass is trimmed accordingly, primer pockets swaged, flash holes deburred, and powder weight checked each round. Bullets seated for COAL of 2.260.

Next thing I'm going to try is the same load in Black Hills match brass. Will brass make that much of a difference in an AR?

I played with some loads of RL-15, and they were less than impressive. I know I had some eye strain, and might have rushed some, but they were not pretty. I'm going to try 24.1 grns RL-15 again with fresh eyes.

Is it worth it in an AR to trim the meplat? Is it worth it to index bullet weights, diam., and what-not?

Anyone have any tricks that can further my accuracy?

Re: Things important for semi-auto match loads?

What are you comparing your group to for ammo? I know that RRA guarantees .75 MOA and some of the CLE's are .25 to .50 MOA on paper. Not being harsh but AR's don't get too much better. Your load sounds like a good Service Rifle load. I did notice that Ramshot's loads are loaded with Winchester Small Rifle Primers, they are a little hotter primer than the CCI-400. I haven't shot the Prvi brass but have heard good things about their ammo.

says on the website

The fact is, if you are not using our Consistent Crimp- you are just guessing.

i dont crimp my match ammo , does anyone else ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i dont crimp my match ammo , does anyone else ? </div></div>

Nobody who wins.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Birddog1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Next thing I'm going to try is the same load in Black Hills match brass. Will brass make that much of a difference in an AR?

Anyone have any tricks that can further my accuracy? </div></div>

Brass can and will make that much difference in any rifle. Time is better spent sorting brass than projectiles. If I sort, I do it by neck concentricity and weight. Best to start with Lapua or matched headstamp Lake City brass in 223.

Other tricks:

- Bushing dies with 0.004" - 0.005" neck tension. That means remove the expander ball.
- Try Varget
- Bump shoulder (headspace) 0.003" - 0.005"
- 1:7 - 1:8 twist
- Check ES and SD over a chronograph
- Ladder test or OCW for load work up