• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Things lost and missed

Jon Lester

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 7, 2004
Tazewell . Virginia
I grew up in the suburbs of an extremely rural coal camp where most all the local boys were 2+ years older. We somehow spent our entire youth in the Woods or slap in the middle of Tug river and none of us could say that we knew a grown healthy man that did not hunt or fish to some level of proficiency. Hunting, fishing, Trapping, gigging ,trotlines and various things across the line of the law were normal in the setting of my youth. Before my Dad left home I managed to receive a healthy dose of the 2nd hand teachings of Uncle Sam that he had absorbed. He spent 3 Yrs in the Marksmanship Detachment of the 3rd Ad, where he competed across Europe on the Battalion and Division Large and small bore Rifle and small bore Pistol Team. His strong influence very early along with being constantly surrounded with guns, gave me the hand up on most everyone in the crowd. Back then we were always shooting stuff, anything, game bottles ,rats,cans Syccamore balls in trees.....anything daily. Looking back through old family pictures, one common item was a gun.

Fast forward to becoming a Dad: I try my hardest to instill the things of my youth (The Good Things) in My kids. The 2 oldest shoot well enough, understand the basics, can load develop, can catch bait and fish, set traps (both leg and connibear). Both have taken nice Deer with Gun and Bow, They split wood,build fires and were forced to learn to sharpen stuff with a simple file and stone to the point of shaving. But somehow they still don't fully understand the path. They never spent years with a Stevens Crack shot , 61 Winchester or a 74 where you were lucky if all the 22 shells would go bang. Not one single animal has fell to either by iron sighted rifle fire by them. They never had an old 37 Winchester with tape holding the forearm on as the "Good "shotgun. She started with a Browning A bolt 7-08 and a win Mod12 20 ga, His was a mod 7 260 and an 870 Youth 20g.They know nothing of the necessity of keeping a shotgun shell dry at all cost due to the hull being Paper, they never tried to keep anything but the best carbon steel sharp. Has giving them the best from the start taken away from the Art? They were running systems that they routinely made 1k yd hits, years before the thought of a drivers license was birthed. The Baby who is now 8 can strip down an AR to the Firing pin and reassemble it, and hits the 700 yard IPSC with a 300 wm more than she misses( Both on Video at 7 yrs). Has this easy route been the wrong one? With them missing all those years of the learning curve is there things that they will not send on to the next generation? My fear is I have led them down the easy road and they cant appreciate the journey. So many distractions confront today's kids from life.

Their rebuttal is "Dad, Carmen(the 8yr old) has to set the remote up on the Big screen for you, We will be OK"

The girls Kills this year:

He was 8 on his first Gobbler

And yes that Possume is alive!

ASC with Dad

That's an awsome story Jon, for their is so much truth in that statement and story. I grew up a whole lot like you did it seems. Wouldn't have it any other way!

The very fact that you have your children involved, interested and excited
to be outdoors.. shooting, trapping, hunting, makes you winner right off
the bat. In today's world where all the hype lies on electronics, facebook,
videogames and the like, it is refreshing & down right awesome, in my
opinion, that you have captured their interests by presenting them with
the availibilty to do these things. Today, so many kids grow up without
ever getting the taste of what these things are like that you describe.
I too grew up completely outdoors without a day going by that we didnt
go fishing down at the local river, catching carp or suckers and still being
thrilled to do so. We shot BB guns constantly as young boys, so much
that we had to collect and reuse the fired bb's we could find laying about
on the hay mow floor, from lack of money. We would get our Crossman's
out and the cats would come running in anticipation of a feast coming
their way of sparrows and grackles.
Seems to be that nowadays most kids arent even given or presented
the opportunity to even try any of these things that I cherish from
my youth. So I garner from what you have told and illustrated here, is
that you have done quite a kick ass job of getting your kids the very
best path to such prized activities. Life in general is different these
days for kids growing up. There are tens of thousands more houses
cropping up in every nook and cranny, not to mention more people
around as well, literally swallowing up all the special places that
used to be "the 22lr range" as kid.
I would be proud as hell to share your story and state that my kids
can all pound long range steel with regular proficiency, and that
they all get out and do.
Getting them out and doing is an awesome accomplishment in itself.
Your story brought instant reflection upon many memories from
my own upbringing. I miss those days. They are to be cherished.
Thanks for sharing, I think you are doing more than Fine. Hell yeah.
I hope someday to share these things with my little guy, just as
you have done with yours. Well said and done.

My mom asked me once why the right pocket of my jeans was black inside. I told her it was where I always kept a dozen .22 rounds. Oh, yeah, I was a hazardous waste site, at 10 years old.

Thank you to each one who pm or comminted. I truly believe that the only things that you can leave on this earth to be a standing mark is your reputation and your kids, and both require a tremendous amount of effort to keep unblemished.

You have/are doing a fine job as a dad, these memories you and your family have created will last all lifetimes. I have my memories of how it was when I was a young boy growing up and when I read something like this I realize that things are unfolding as they should be, for the salt of the earth.