• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Things that made my tinkering life easier

GardDog

LT
Minuteman
Apr 16, 2009
New Orleans
I'm an amateur that likes working on my own stuff. I had put two lowers together before buying a Pivot Pin Detent Installation Tool (http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=920248) and now I can't see how I made it without this tool. No more chasing pins & springs across the garage.

My Remington 700's now get their bolts taken down and cleaned without me losing any knuckle skin. The Kleinendorst Bolt Disassembly Tool (http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=492351) is money well spent.

Anyone who works on their 700 or is thinking of putting a lower together can't go wrong with these tools.

Re: Things that made my tinkering life easier

FWIW...

Pivot Pin installation can be accomplished with a clevis pin of the appropriate size from your local hardware store. I have done a few lowers that way and it's very quick and easy.

Bolt takedown can be accomplished with a boot lace and coin.

The tools are great, but unless you do a lot each day the workarounds save you money for ammo.
wink.gif

To each his own... The $25 spent on the two tools is a wise investment for me.

Brownells catalog with all their various roll pin and cup pin drifts, special files, Oxpho Blue and Dicropan, panavise, hemostats and tiny vise grips for lockdown on small parts. Dremel tool...

Best thing I ever found is an illuminated magnifying glass on weighted stand. $25 at Goodwill. Superb tool for any close up work.

Also gotta love the Brownells Action Wrench

Can't forget the best tool to own if you use telescopic sights: Bushnell 74-3333 boresighter/collimator.

Good dial caliper. Nice to have digital w/push-button metric/inch conversion....

Brownells screwdriver kit is probably most often used tool in the shop for gun work.

I have the Brownell's Super Duper Set on the bench. For the range, I have 3 of the Chapman kits. Man, those Chapman's are tough and have great customer service.

I like my cheap Sears drill press for primer pocket uniforming and drilling holes for bedding pillars.

An extendable desk lamp is good for a lot of general work.

Panavise-- how did I live without it?

Decker rifle vise. Mine is one of the first pieces of 'smithing equipment I ever bought. It is about 25yo and still does the trick.

Headband magnifer. A girlfriend of long ago bought that for me.

Dremel Moto-Tool. It is one of the must haves. Those little tools have made more work for REAL gunsmiths than anything I can think of.

Assorted wood chisels.