• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Things to do in Seattle

Maggot

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood"
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 27, 2007
    Virginia
    Ill be in Seattle for a week or so next July. Other than the scenery what are some good things to do. Doesnt have to be firearm related.

Ivar's fish bar north side of lake union. Been a while but all kinds of delicious deep fried ocean goodies.

Pike Place market. Tourist as can be but fresh seafood of all kinds.

If you have time, get on a ferry and go up into the san juan islands, beautiful.

Pike place market, the water front is withing walking distance. Go to the sloop in Ballard for a beer. Fisherman's terminal, alki Ave in west Seattle. Manny's brewery in georgetown, eat at the Iron big BBQ while in georgetown. 8lb hammer is the best dive bar in that area.

Reactions: Aftermath
    Score some smack downtown in the open air drug bazaar.
    Pikes place market used to be really cool but now my friends in the area avoid it.

Seattle like denver used to be awesome but have sadly gone to crap.

exploring Whidbey island is an option.

Fuck seattle. I lived in the suburbs (Kirkland) for 5 or 6 years in the early 2000's. I still have friends who live over there, but we all avoid seattle.

Last time I took my family to the Pike Place market and we all got yelled and and spit on by some bum, who was having a mental break. Downtown is hit or miss, lots of homelessness and open IV drug use. Some blocks there are private security to keep it cleaner. So you go block to block with some being tolerable then the next being a dump.

A local news did a piece on seattle, which from the hard left news channel was a surprise. "Seattle is dying" was the title or something like that. Its on YouTube and a good watch actually.

Reactions: nikonNUT
    Score some smack downtown in the open air drug bazaar.
    Pikes place market used to be really cool but now my friends in the area avoid it.

Seattle like denver used to be awesome but have sadly gone to crap.

exploring Whidbey island is an option.

Last I was in Denver was about 10 years back. Has it gone down that fast?

Reactions: The D
    Things to do in Seattle........get the fuck out of Seattle........go up north to the San Juan islands......if you smell patchouli you’ve gone too far and you’re in Bellingham...... get the fuck out of Bellingham......ride a ferry into the San Juan islands, see Friday harbor, rent a scooter and make it over to roche harbor it’s the Martha’s Vineyard of the NW..... Skagit valley is nice for now.......like steel head said Whidbey island is nice as well......fishing charters should be up and running there are a couple that work out of Friday harbor as well as Anacortes salmon are in pretty good in July, in fact I’ll be in roche harbor in July salmon fishing myself.....

Fuck seattle. I lived in the suburbs (Kirkland) for 5 or 6 years in the early 2000's. I still have friends who live over there, but we all avoid seattle.

Last time I took my family to the Pike Place market and we all got yelled and and spit on by some bum, who was having a mental break. Downtown is hit or miss, lots of homelessness and open IV drug use. Some blocks there are private security to keep it cleaner. So you go block to block with some being tolerable then the next being a dump.

A local news did a piece on seattle, which from the hard left news channel was a surprise. "Seattle is dying" was the title or something like that. Its on YouTube and a good watch actually.
    That komo news video was good!

Metropolitan Grill on 2nd. Great steaks. Used to go there every time we went up to Seattle for meetings. Last time I was there Bill and Melinda strolled by on their way out. Ha.

On a serious note July in WA is outside time. Hop on the 90 and head east to the mountains and get outside.

If you like parks Mt Rainier is not too far from the city, North Cascades is more my jam but that’s a long drive from the city which thins out the crowds.

Or ride the ferry to the islands.

Seattle was always the worst city on the west coast and it hasn't gotten better.

Ballard is an interesting area. There are the Ballard Locks and fish ladder, but I don't know if the salmon are running that time of year. Also a number of crab boats from Deadliest Catch are housed at the shipyard there which I thought was kind of cool. I will second the recommendation for Whidbey Island. Deception Pass State Park is nice, even better if the F-18s from Ault Field are flying. Also, from there you can head up to Anacortes and take a ferry to San Juan Island. The island itself is what it is, I enjoyed the boat ride with amazing scenery more so.
    It really comes down to how much spare time you have.
    Btw, PM inbound

It’s sad, what once was one of the best cities, most freedom loving, has really taken a hit.
    Still, lots of good micro brews
    Good aviation museums at Boeing field and Paine field
    Lake union is fun, gas works parks is a great view
    Ivars is a must, get the chowder in the bread bowl, gotta order from the outside for the real deal (lake union location)
    Seattlw underground is fun to see and some good history
    Space needle is overrated, but go up anyway and do the photo thing.
    Walk around Fremont and Ballard, that’s kinda the best part, walk from there down west lake to the center for wooden boats.

Reactions: 10ring'r
    Have dinner in the Space Needle. View from the restaurant, is great (as long as it isn't foggy). Oh, bring a fire extinguisher, so you can put out the "fires" on the way back to your car! Safe travels! Mac(y)

Its been 3 years since I've been out of my car in downtown Seattle.

I remember when you could take a nap in downtown Seattle in the warm sun and not get rolled.
    Metropolitan Grill on 2nd. Great steaks. Used to go there every time we went up to Seattle for meetings. Last time I was there Bill and Melinda strolled by on their way out. Ha.
    Metro has some bad ass grub!

Its been 3 years since I've been out of my car in downtown Seattle.

Watching the video now. It struck me when the city council said "If you have a problem call 911." and the lady answered "We do call the cops and they tell us to vote YOU out of office so we can do our jobs." Sad, really.

Reactions: Blutroop
    When we were in Seattle, (just an overnight) we were able to catch the Space Needle and it was an experience. We were there 2 years ago, before things got 'worser'.

Things that we regret.... There are some FANTASTIC individuals in that area that we regrettably weren't able to meet-up with. (no time) There is also the Woodinville Distillery that we learned about too late to coordinate.

And I'm sure it all depends on what you have for time, as well as interests.

In my career starting in the early '90s I spent a lot of time in West Coast cities, and that was after having gone to school in Los Angeles. San Francisco was always a great city, up until about '02. Yes it was liberal, but it was also a fucking blast, and people were generally OK. (Unim)Portland was a total drag. Sleepy city, nothing to do. Inoffensive in general. Seattle was the worst. It was like an East Coast city in how seedy the city center felt, but it offered just about nothing as far as food, culture, whatever.

Now you probably couldn't get me to travel to any one of them. But of the three, Seattle has deteriorated the least, but only because it always sucked.

San Juan islands if you can overnight. Orcas or San Juan island itself are your best bets. Roche Harbor on San Juan is ideal.

Hike PooPoo point in Issaquah. Good views and in July the gliders will be launching.

Snoqualmie falls would be a short trip. Restaurants there, assuming they’re open, are good.

Woodenville for wine tours

Space Needle, Waterfront and Pike Place if youre actually staying down town.

Reactions: Maggot
    Second on Metropolitan Grill. Pike Brewing has great beer - in the Market (tourist) area but if you're stuck in town...
    If you have time and a car visit fort flagler or fort casey - WWII era coastal defense installations that I found pretty interesting. There is one other but forget the name. Basically they had some very big gun installations along the coast that could be raised quickly above the bluff and blow anything out of the water that was attempting to penetrate the harbor.

Reactions: DROWN
    In my career starting in the early '90s I spent a lot of time in West Coast cities, and that was after having gone to school in Los Angeles. San Francisco was always a great city, up until about '02. Yes it was liberal, but it was also a fucking blast, and people were generally OK. (Unim)Portland was a total drag. Sleepy city, nothing to do. Inoffensive in general. Seattle was the worst. It was like an East Coast city in how seedy the city center felt, but it offered just about nothing as far as food, culture, whatever.

Now you probably couldn't get me to travel to any one of them. But of the three, Seattle has deteriorated the least, but only because it always sucked.

giphy.gif

Because shall issue permits, no stupid gun laws, AWSOME seafood, tons of outdoors, no state income tax, the oceans and huge lakes for water sports, great hunting and fishing, and a thriving economy, microbrews down every corner, tons of artisan made stuff, great boating scene, and one of the only states that actually was about liberty, want to get gay married while smoking weed and get a AR15 with a drum mag with some of your savings from no state income tax, sucks pretty bad huh?

I would agree with you, but you said 2002, and Seattle still kicked major ass back then.

If you're feeling particularly adventurous and have the time.....Take the ferry over from Seattle to Bainbridge Island and drive out to Port Angeles to the Olympic Nat'l park for some breathtaking views. I lived over on the peninsula in '11-'14 and It was my absolute favorite place to live. If making the trek out to P.A and Oly. Nat'l Park isn't an option, then take the ferry to Bainbridge Island and poke around in Poulsbo. It's a fun, quirky little town with some great breweries and places to eat by the harbor.

I remember when you could take a nap in downtown Seattle in the warm sun and not get rolled.

Metro has some bad ass grub!

I went fishing in on boats in Alaska from 2002-2012. We always did our shipyard work in Ballard, it was OK then. However I started fishing up there again in 2018 and Ballard has almost completely gentrified. Most of our vendors have been pushed north out of the city, and between the new apartment buildings being built and Google buying office space down there so its almost completely lost.

However if you like naked girls there are bikini coffee stands about every block. About half are advertised as such so be careful if you take your wife. Stopped by one and she was wearing fishnets and a miniskirt. When she bent over there was clam and butt plug. Nothing else. My wife wasn't too amused.

giphy.gif

Because shall issue permits, no stupid gun laws, AWSOME seafood, tons of outdoors, no state income tax, the oceans and huge lakes for water sports, great hunting and fishing, and a thriving economy, microbrews down every corner, tons of artisan made stuff, great boating scene, and one of the only states that actually was about liberty, want to get gay married while smoking weed and get a AR15 with a drum mag with some of your savings from no state income tax, sucks pretty bad huh?

I would agree with you, but you said 2002, and Seattle still kicked major ass back then.

Other than the gun laws, which really didn't affect me being a business traveler mainly in boardrooms, Seattle has always been the least interesting West Coast city, other than unimPortland. All of the things you mention were always better in San Francisco than they were in Seattle, other than the guns. They both are trash now, so who cares, but Seattle was never a great city. Washington was, without doubt, a great state, and was a lot longer than CA was.

There is a Cold War era Cobra class Russian sub at Pier 48 you can take a tour of. "State of the art" for the commies back then.

I went fishing in on boats in Alaska from 2002-2012. We always did our shipyard work in Ballard, it was OK then. However I started fishing up there again in 2018 and Ballard has almost completely gentrified. Most of our vendors have been pushed north out of the city, and between the new apartment buildings being built and Google buying office space down there so its almost completely lost.

However if you like naked girls there are bikini coffee stands about every block. About half are advertised as such so be careful if you take your wife. Stopped by one and she was wearing fishnets and a miniskirt. When she bent over there was clam and butt plug. Nothing else. My wife wasn't too amused.
    Ballard used to be awesome as well!
    Then it became trendy and went to crap:(
    I probably did work on the dock/moorings you were at.
    I did a lot of underwater concrete work in the early 2000’s there.

We always tied to the NW wall at fisherman's terminal or and dry docked at Northlake shipyard near gas works park.

You can pick up a felony hate crime charge if you pick your words poorly when telling someone to get out of your face...

• Sad
    Reactions: Maggot