• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Think I need a .50BMG

Tunni

Private
Minuteman
Apr 5, 2009
Cheyenne Wy
My kids have Greybull Precison, and have fixed me up with their optics and a neat 264 Winchester May, also have a 300RUM that I'm tinkering with, but feel I really need a 50. Our Spector ship took a 50 hit over Katum one night and not sure what it is but as we get older, seem to want things that we remember. Any suggestions helpful, but long range elk here in Wyoming and just punching paper sound cool. I can get the kids to set me up with scope and ballistics and I hand load, Can even afford it--suggestions appreciated, will do mostly pickup hunting due to old Viet Nam gift. Looking for accurate and semi light, at least that I can lift to set up. I have not fired a 50. I would love any help guys and gals. Bill

Re: Think I need a .50BMG

338 LM you would be over kill on .50 unless you want to knock the tracks of a tank and the 338 LM can do that too

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tunni</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My kids have Greybull Precison, and have fixed me up with their optics and a neat 264 Winchester May, also have a 300RUM that I'm tinkering with, but feel I really need a 50. Our Spector ship took a 50 hit over Katum one night and not sure what it is but as we get older, seem to want things that we remember. Any suggestions helpful, but long range elk here in Wyoming and just punching paper sound cool. I can get the kids to set me up with scope and ballistics and I hand load, Can even afford it--suggestions appreciated, will do mostly pickup hunting due to old Viet Nam gift. Looking for accurate and semi light, at least that I can lift to set up. I have not fired a 50. I would love any help guys and gals. Bill</div></div>

No civvy really "needs" a .50, and since you've never shot one, and live in WY, you should check out this annual event in June, where you can pay a few bucks to shoot (rent) some .50 BMG bolt guns, semis, and full-autos:

http://www.wyomingnfa.com/794.html

Great reactive targets at this event too- boom, Boom, BOOM!

Lotsa smoke in the clear Wyoming air!

I have two .50 BMG bolt guns - A Barrett M95 and a Serbu BFG 50. The guns are not for everybody: Expensive to shoot/relaod, huge recoil, plus just plain heavy kit. But, it's as big as you can get without being an NFA "Destructive Device" e.g. cannons and arty, and it's fun (for me) just to have it - Just in case I might "need" it (LOL)...

If you've got the place to play - have at it! If I were going to get one, I'd want the EDM Windrunner.

I was close to buying a year or two ago, but common sense (for me) prevailed and I went 338LM instead - and have a damn hard time taking it out very much, as it's not wirth bothering with it for less than ~1000 yards.

If you want. 50 BMG, then get it. But,for hunting ? The 338 LM will do the job on just about anything in North America continent.

Itis not a light gun. The fun factor is certainly top. With reloading, you can keep it reasonable to shoot.

I had two, a Windrunner and a Barrett M99. Didnt shoot much so ended up selling both. Still think about getting another though...

I currently own an M96 Windrunner and have been nothing but ecstatic about my purchase. I don't "need" one but the smile it puts on my face every time I pull that trigger is worth it to me. Add onto it by letting other people shoot it (for free of course) and seeing their smiles makes it worth that much more!

I've only taken it to 500yds and am getting MOA accuracy without sorting brass and pulled APIs over H50BMG powder. It's a helluva good time putting those APIs against..... anything!

Recoil-wise mine is less pummelling than my 20" unbraked 308. When your eyes stop rolling at that let me explain: Where the 308 is a "jab" of sorts, the M96 is like a stern push. Make no mistake, it will reposition you but instead of a sudden force, it is more drawn out.

If you're ever in the Augusta, GA area (Masters is coming up...) let me know and I'll be glad to let you shoot it!

I'm sure he want's a .50 and not a .338 it just wouldn't be the same. Practical wise the .338 lapua hands down, but if your set on a .50 get a .50 I really like the Barret Model 95, it's a bolt action bullpup design, comes in at 25 pounds with bipod. Check them out!

338 LM 250-4$ a shot if you dont reload 50. bmg 6-10 bucks a shot if you dont reload

I want a 50 too, my wallet would shit

Go for it, I'm thinking of a Steyr HS.50 single shot myself...

Don't let all these people scare you off because of the ammo costs. Factory ammo is expensive yes, but you can reload military projectile ammunition for very reasonable! Once fired brass right now is around 50 cents a piece. API (armor piercing incendiary) bullets are running as low as 19 cents each. Primers are about 22 cents a piece. And surplus powder can be as low as $39 for 8 pounds which comes out to about 17 cents a round! Add all this up and with the brass price factored in and you will have $1.09 cents per round! I spend more than that loading my 260 with lapua brass! And once you have the brass you will only be at 59 cents per round! Out of my bolt gun I have 10 reloads on my brass and still going strong! I personally think that is very affordable for a round of such awesome power and range!
Go for it!!!

Yeah surplus .50 cal ammo is super cheap like $1.00 - $1.50 a shot and reloading is even cheaper. .50 cal ammo is cheaper than .338 lapua at the moment.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cowboy1978</div><div class="ubbcode-body">338 LM 250-4$ a shot if you dont reload 50. bmg 6-10 bucks a shot if you dont reload
</div></div>

$6-10 per shot???

I've bought my surplus to start out with and for the brass to reload and have paid less that $2 per round.

As far as a light 50, I would seriously think twice about that. I had a Bohica first and recoil was stout. Now I shoot an AR50 and it is not bad AT ALL. I could shoot 50 rounds no problem.

Get one, they are the most fun I've ever had with firearms.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cowboy1978</div><div class="ubbcode-body">338 LM 250-4$ a shot <span style="color: #CC0000">if you dont reload</span> 50. bmg 6-10 bucks a shot <span style="color: #990000">if you dont reload</span> </div></div>

Im implying or trying to That if your going to get a large gun like this you should think about buying a reload rig.

This is $'s in my area as well, you can buy surplus brass of gunbroker or bud's or other places for nothing compaired to what it was

Please don't hunt with a 50. They turn things to jelly, I know a guy who shot an elk with one, he said the front half was unusable for anything including burger.

I have a Barrett M95 and was told it would beat me up but I really think it kicks less than a 12 gauge. The break works so well it actually pulled the rifle forward off the shooting mat I was on, that or blew it back. I don't think I would try to use it for hunting though, to heavy to carry around all day and even at 1000 yards I bet it would trash the meat on the animal. I can't think of anything else that will put the smile on your face that a 50 will.

Where is all this cheap reloading supplies at?

.50 cal is a great round and when you're reloading the cost is similar to any of the other big rounds. Powder usage is about double or more from the .338 lapua but you can find fun bullets like the API which flashes on impact, tracers, flashing tracers etc....hard to find them for the .338. I've been rebuilding British WWII .55 cal Boys rifles into .50 BMG Boys rifles for quite some time now and have been shooting mine a lot. They are great fun. If you come to the Wyoming NFA groups shoot in june find me and I'll let you shoot my Boys rifle in .50 and maybe the 20mm Solothurn as well(if there is any ammo left). I'm also shooting a .338 lapua Desert Tactical SRS so I have a good comparison for the 338 vs 50. I have both so that should tell you something. There are a lot of good .50 cal rifles out there and depending on how you shoot you may find lightweight is great or maybe you need heavier. I've shot the short Serbu single shot rifles and while they're light the recoil isn't too bad. They have a good muzzle brake. The Barret single and mag-fed bolt guns seem to have a bit more recoil to me and the semi's are cushy low recoil. None of these rifles are really what you would call cheap but how many of the custom jobs on this board are? Get out and go to some of the shoots. See what you like before you buy. There are a lot of differences and what looks cool to you may not be what you like to shoot.

Frank

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lencomatt</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I can't think of anything else that will put the smile on your face that a 50 will. </div></div>

Shooting someone with one
wink.gif