• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Think I'm going to take the Vudoo plunge - what barrel profile?

Barrel profile

• 22" Kukuri

Votes: 16 19.3%
  • 20" MTU

Votes: 39 47.0%
  • Something else.

Votes: 28 33.7%

• Total voters

kentuckyMarksman

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 7, 2018
Been thinking about getting a Vudoo for several years now. Think this is the year I order one. My plan for this rifle would be mainly 100 yard shooting from a bench, some rimfire benchrest matches, and on occasion stretching it out a little further (longest range I have access to is 300 yards).

Been looking at the barrel profiles, for my uses is there any reason not to get the 20" MTU profile? Or would the 22" Kukuri shoot just as well? Or is there something else I should consider?

I’ve got the 20” MTU.

It’s heavy.

But for bench shooting or to mimic a PRS match rifle, it would serve you well.

I haven’t been shooting many matches lately, and when I pull the Vudoo out of the safe, I wonder if I should have went Kukri instead.

If I bought another, it would be the kukri.

Reactions: kentuckyMarksman
If you're only shooting bench, esp scoped, I'd think the 18" might serve you better, but the VGW folks are worth a call, they can give you great advice.

If you were shooting PRS, I'd tell you to get a 22" MTU for balance purposes, which is what I'm looking for rn. I have an 18", shoots great but too rear-heavy.

My 22" MTU in a Greyboe Ridgeback balances right in front of the magwell.
Do you have the Kukri? Looking at their website, it says the MTU is only for chassis, and not a stock like the Ridgeback. It also looks like the MTU just goes to 20", but the Kukri goes to 22" wondering if their website is incorrect.

If you're only shooting bench, esp scoped, I'd think the 18" might serve you better, but the VGW folks are worth a call, they can give you great advice.

If you were shooting PRS, I'd tell you to get a 22" MTU for balance purposes, which is what I'm looking for rn. I have an 18", shoots great but too rear-heavy.
I'm curious, why do you think the 18" might serve me better? Does the powder completely burn up by that length, and velocity go down after that?

I'm curious, why do you think the 18" might serve me better? Does the powder completely burn up by that length, and velocity go down after that?
Ive heard after 22" is where you dtart to see velocity fall off. Also heard 24" has helped with sd but idk could be coincidence

I have a 20" MTU & a 22" Kukri - Both are in Grayboe Ridgeback stocks. It was a simple process to open up the Ridgeback barrel channel a tad to accept the MTU profile.

Both these set ups work fine in a BR situation. For what it's worth, the Kukri is a better shooter but that means nothing as not all barrels are created equal! Both these are Bartleins.

That’s about it, ya; kinda depends on the ammo but I think somewhere around the 20-21” mark it starts to drop, depending on various factors. Saw that recently somewhere, a shop chopped a barrel back an inch at a time or so and saw velocity increase as they chopped.

Ah, here's the vid, it was Vudoo themselves:

Reactions: MCHOG
I would go with the 20” MTU from the choices. No need to go longer. I run an 18” Kukri in PRS/NRL matches and it works just fine. Don’t get all wrapped up in “balance” etc. it’s the newest hot term to use but the rifle doesn’t need to balance on a pin head at some random spot on the rifle. 20” will do fine with .22 ammo. I shoot my 18” to 550 yards.

Reactions: FWoo45
I went with 20” mtu. Rifle shoots fantastic. I would prefer if they offered a 22” mtu. The 20” is a touch short in some chassis, and the more weight up front the better.

I would go with the 20” MTU from the choices. No need to go longer. I run an 18” Kukri in PRS/NRL matches and it works just fine. Don’t get all wrapped up in “balance” etc. it’s the newest hot term to use but the rifle doesn’t need to balance on a pin head at some random spot on the rifle. 20” will do fine with .22 ammo. I shoot my 18” to 550 yards.

I’m not 100% why you feel this way. Balance plays a huge role in positional shooting. My 20” mtu in the Krg whiskey 3 is too rear heavy causing me slight additional strain trying to counter balance it which in turn was proving to be accounting for more misses.

I removed the heavy bag rider, added front external weights and while it’s still not perfect in my mind it’s significantly better and my hit percentage went up

Reactions: Badjujuu
Get a 22" Benchmark. Benchmark contour is basically a Kukri but a little fatter and a straight profile after the taper. Early taper to a .9" straight.

1648783686052.png

Bartlein 22in MTU is on my Gen2 Vudoo, most accurate .22 I own..Good balance in an ACC chassis for rimfire PRS after swapping steel butt pad for an aluminum version.

I went with 20” mtu. Rifle shoots fantastic. I would prefer if they offered a 22” mtu. The 20” is a touch short in some chassis, and the more weight up front the better.

I’m not 100% why you feel this way. Balance plays a huge role in positional shooting. My 20” mtu in the Krg whiskey 3 is too rear heavy causing me slight additional strain trying to counter balance it which in turn was proving to be accounting for more misses.

I removed the heavy bag rider, added front external weights and while it’s still not perfect in my mind it’s significantly better and my hit percentage went up

Because it’s true. As I said I know the new fad is balance but it’s worried about far too much. Everyone thinks the rifle has to perfectly balance on a certain spot and it’s just not true. I know it’s an unpopular opinion now but it’s mine from almost 20 years of shooting matches.

None of my Vudoos (4 repeaters, 2 single shots) have barrels shorter than 22"; they range in contour from a Krieger #4 sporter up to a Bartlein Kukri. Three of the repeaters are in Manners PRS1T stocks, two of them with sendero contour bbls. I would not go heavier than the Kukri - prefer sendero. I keep reading about guys who are building 20lb+ CF rifles for PRS and in some cases, even NRL22 matches, and all I can say is that it's probably another fad. I'm 70yrs old, and my shoulders are getting worn out - the last thing I need is a rifle that makes them ache just picking the damned thing up. As far as I'm concerned, there's no reason to concern yourself with going with a shorter bbl to get maximum velocity out of std vel ammo. Looking back at vintage smallbore rifles like the Win 52 & Rem 40X, they all had 26"-28" bbls - and it wasn't just for a longer iron sight radius.

Probably an MTU, if you're playing the PRS game the front weighting will help you with balance and if you wind up doing bench stuff, well then you only have to carry weight of it to the bench and the extra lbs aren't going to hurt anything. Length, taken strictly on its face value probably isn't going to amount to a hill of beans between 18"-22", the quality of the barrel and chamber job is everything and largely out of your control (but obviously Vudoo generally does an excellent job).
Mine is a 20" MTU and used mostly for PRS type matches but is just as well suited to the occasional bench rest silhouette match.

I mainly shoot 22 rimfire F-class with a small amount of NRL from time to time and I really enjoy my Vudoo's. I've had a total of six different Vudoo's with several different barrel lengths 1-16.5", 2-23", 2-24", 1-25.5". I still have three and they are the longer barrel lengths. Do they shoot better - I don't think so... Do I shoot them better - maybe! I know I personally prefer the longer barrels.

Shane

Reactions: Matt_3479
when I pull the Vudoo out of the safe, I wonder if I should have went Kukri instead.

If I bought another, it would be the kukri.

I got the 20-inch Kukri (Ace) on mine... no regrets. Has just over 1000 rounds through it now, and shoots one ragged hole at 50 yards off the bench. I picked the length in part based on this Vudoo video:

Do you have the Kukri? Looking at their website, it says the MTU is only for chassis, and not a stock like the Ridgeback. It also looks like the MTU just goes to 20", but the Kukri goes to 22" wondering if their website is incorrect.
I ordered my Vudoo right before the 360 was introduced and then changed my order to the 360. The MTU 22" was the longest available at the time for the Ridgeback.

22" Bartlien MTU here.

Keep in mind Vudoo's MTU is not a real MTU. Finishes more like .830-850 than true .900.

If I was ordering another I would do the exact same thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Badjujuu
20" Kukri here....I saw no need for what I do to go MTU.

Some ppl really like the heavy ones, lol.

I am at exact opposite extreme of trying to be light as possible with the not so lightweight optics I want to use. I need to be at 8.5lbs or lighter for one of my matches per national rules. holding a rifle offhand changes your perspective on weight very quickly. Having a rifle as heavy as possible for barricade benchrest isn’t that appealing to me as my opinion is you are using excess weight to mask problems with fundamentals and technique.

18 proof factory barrel in a AG Composites carbon fiber stock and lightweight NF rings barely make weight requirement:

5E4056C2-0875-447E-AAE9-A60957FE1B50.jpeg
42FA69B5-8A50-4D31-A444-F49169075711.jpeg

Some ppl really like the heavy ones, lol.

I am at exact opposite extreme of trying to be light as possible with the not so lightweight optics I want to use. I need to be at 8.5lbs or lighter for one of my matches per national rules. holding a rifle offhand changes your perspective on weight very quickly. Having a rifle as heavy as possible for barricade benchrest isn’t that appealing to me as my opinion is you are using excess weight to mask problems with fundamentals and technique.

18 proof factory barrel in a AG Composites carbon fiber stock and lightweight NF rings barely make weight requirement:

View attachment 7840785View attachment 7840788
Great looking rifle!

I might ask opinions of what guys thought of a potential woman to date but I'm picking my own barrels. I don't get this "What shit should I get?" stuff. No offense to the OP or any of the contributors here. I just think the first step is to figure out your own requirements and preferences are.
Then do your own research ... you'll learn more that way.

My short answer to your specific question ... no reason not to go with the 20'' MTU and all of Vudoo's offerings will shoot very well.

22 ro 24'' un tapered and Id look for a faster twist that 1/16 so you can get at least 2 to 3 revolutions of spin before leaving the end of the barrel send pics of what ever you do decide to get always nice to see other people's guns .

I might ask opinions of what guys thought of a potential woman to date but I'm picking my own barrels.
There is a thread on it:

HA!

Looking around on Vudoo's website some more I found that they still offer the 22" MTU. I'm thinking that's probably the way I'll go. They also offer it with the MDT ACC chassis, planning on buying it that way. I have the ACC on another gun and it's been great.

Reactions: Schütze
Why no muzzle tbreads
Bore distortion along the length of the thread and especially at the relief groove (due to tool pressure). There’s a distinct choke at the groove with the diameter of the bore forward of the groove being larger.

The same reason I don’t like the adoption of 5/8-24 threads mostly across the board for centerfire. For .30 cal and up, I do 3/4-24 threads.

MB

There is another giant thread on this somewhere in the forums. Sadly was much purse swinging detracting from the discussion.

Exactly what’s seen in the video. I’ve spoken against the practice for about 12 years….thanks for posting.

MB

Bore distortion along the length of the thread and especially at the relief groove (due to tool pressure). There’s a distinct choke at the groove with the diameter of the bore forward of the groove being larger.

The same reason I don’t like the adoption of 5/8-24 threads mostly across the board for centerfire. For .30 cal and up, I do 3/4-24 threads.

MB

Exactly what’s seen in the video. I’ve spoken against the practice for about 12 years….thanks for posting.

MB
Mike,

I’ve picked up on this perspective from you and @Frank Green and am starting to convert over to 3/4-24 on my barrels. Would you say that thread pattern is needed for 22LR, or do you recommend 5/8-24 for 22LR?

Honestly I’ll probably just go 3/4-24 with adapters to keep everything consistent, but curious to hear your thoughts on this.

Reactions: Jaybird 220
Mike,

I’ve picked up on this perspective from you and @Frank Green and am starting to convert over to 3/4-24 on my barrels. Would you say that thread pattern is needed for 22LR, or do you recommend 5/8-24 for 22LR?

Honestly I’ll probably just go 3/4-24 with adapters to keep everything consistent, but curious to hear your thoughts on this.
If you’re running a suppressor, the larger thread will be of great benefit. However, you’ll want to gauge your adapter to make sure it doesn’t have the same issue and just moves the problem from one place to another.

I have two field rifles that I expect less from (not Vudoo’s) that I use as my suppressor hosts. The only reason they exist is to slay gophers and they’re great for that.

MB

If you’re running a suppressor, the larger thread will be of great benefit. However, you’ll want to gauge your adapter to make sure it doesn’t have the same issue and just moves the problem from one place to another.

I have two field rifles that I expect less from (not Vudoo’s) that I use as my suppressor hosts. The only reason they exist is to slay gophers and they’re great for that.

MB
Gotcha, thanks. I figure the adapter bore is less critical since it’s not a contact surface, mostly just worried about concentricity to prevent baffle strikes and hopefully maintain accuracy with concentric gas flow.

Reactions: RAVAGE88

MB

MB

Thank you. I will be going without threading on the vudoo on order to try, as my current is threaded.

Reactions: RAVAGE88
All will shoot well, it just comes down to balance IMO. I have an 18” Kukri and would have preferred 20” or 22”, or 20” MTU, purely for balance reasons.

Personal preference is a 22in barrel for me, any length they do will be great from just about all reports.

I have multiple different length barrel lengths across my rifles but the 22in is a hammer.

And on muzzle threads my 26in barreled .308 has 5/8 x 24 & shoots way better with the thread cap on hand tight than with a muzzle brake, might need to try another type of brake & see if it improves things.
Need to use the brake with my crappy shoulder, Had surgery on it 2 weeks ago so hopefully I wont need the brake after its all healed up.

If MB "@RAVAGE88" recommends a 22in KUKRI, I'd say it would benefit you to consider it seriously (y)

MB
Hi Mike,
Hope your well & good to see you posting here again.

Could please expand a bit on "gauging the adapter to make sure it doesn't have the same problem issue and moves the problem from one place to another" please ?
My guess is that the shoulder needs to be square to where it contacts the barrel & threads are correct so as not to distort the barrel creating another problem ?
Thought it would be better to ask & have it explained by someone who knows rather than to assume wrongly what is going on.
Had the old saying of to assume is to make an ass of you & me drummed in for many years, (They were right too) :ROFLMAO:

Cheers
Drew

My go-to setup for what you’re describing is a 22” KUKRI contour, no muzzle threads, Vudoo/Ace or Benchmark.

Hope this helps,
MB

Personal preference is a 22in barrel for me, any length they do will be great from just about all reports.

I have multiple different length barrel lengths across my rifles but the 22in is a hammer.

If MB "@RAVAGE88" recommends a 22in KUKRI, I'd say it would benefit you to consider it seriously (y)

Cheers
Drew
Yeah, if @RAVAGE88 says his goto is a 22" Kukri, I'm thinking the accuracy difference between the Kukri and MTU must be either negligible or non existent, and the difference is more balance related. I've got 2 centerfire rifles with profiles similar to the Kukri that shoot lights out, so I think that's what I'm going to go with.

And on muzzle threads my 26in barreled .308 has 5/8 x 24 & shoots way better with the thread cap on hand tight than with a muzzle brake, might need to try another type of brake & see if it improves things.
Need to use the brake with my crappy shoulder, Had surgery on it 2 weeks ago so hopefully I wont need the brake after its all healed up.

Hi Mike,
Hope your well & good to see you posting here again.

Could please expand a bit on "gauging the adapter to make sure it doesn't have the same problem issue and moves the problem from one place to another" please ?
My guess is that the shoulder needs to be square to where it contacts the barrel & threads are correct so as not to distort the barrel creating another problem ?
Thought it would be better to ask & have it explained by someone who knows rather than to assume wrongly what is going on.
Had the old saying of to assume is to make an ass of you & me drummed in for many years, (They were right too) :ROFLMAO:

Cheers
Drew
Hey Drew,
I’m well and it’s good to be back.

Gauging the adapter is a simple matter of inserting the properly sized gauge pin to check the diameter of the bore. This is important because the bullet needs to be influenced cleanly upon departure. If the bore/crown of the barrel are good, but the adapter has a negative influence, the outcome on the target will show it.

MB

Thanks Mike,
Makes perfect sense thankyou.

Just had a bit of excitement here, was watching Ford v's Ferrari when the dogs started going off in the backyard.
They had something bailed up against the fence. (Border Collies)

Went to investigate & found a 6+ft pissed off python.
Now imagine a guy with right arm in a sling (dominant hand) 2 weeks post shoulder surgery, big torch in right hand trying to gently coax a pissed off snake into a container to small for the snake left handed.
Wife standing on back deck with most of the dogs,(one dog will not leave my side) wife is scared of snakes.
Can't see properly without taking the arm out of the sling & the torch is too heavy to hold onto already without taking the arm out of the sling.
Snake goes from being over half way into the container to spooked by the remaining dog & making a run for it so I grabbed it by the tail & tossed it to where there is a gap in the fence so it can get out.
Wish the wife would have filmed it, would of been pretty funny.
Sitting here now very sore again, but amused with what just went on.

And I missed the end of the movie.

Reactions: JimTN and RAVAGE88

MB

MB
I have yet to see this happen with a cut rifled barrel. Button and hammer forged barrels it is more common than what most think.

We had to make ammunition pressure test barrels that where also going to be used for suppressor testing by the Gov’t. All of those barrels started out at 2.375” o.d. The last thing we did was thread them 5/8 threads and cut and crowned them. Didn’t have a single one go sour.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

Thanks Mike,
Makes perfect sense thankyou.

Just had a bit of excitement here, was watching Ford v's Ferrari when the dogs started going off in the backyard.
They had something bailed up against the fence. (Border Collies)

Went to investigate & found a 6+ft pissed off python.
Now imagine a guy with right arm in a sling (dominant hand) 2 weeks post shoulder surgery, big torch in right hand trying to gently coax a pissed off snake into a container to small for the snake left handed.
Wife standing on back deck with most of the dogs,(one dog will not leave my side) wife is scared of snakes.
Can't see properly without taking the arm out of the sling & the torch is too heavy to hold onto already without taking the arm out of the sling.
Snake goes from being over half way into the container to spooked by the remaining dog & making a run for it so I grabbed it by the tail & tossed it to where there is a gap in the fence so it can get out.
Wish the wife would have filmed it, would of been pretty funny.
Sitting here now very sore again, but amused with what just went on.

And I missed the end of the movie.
Jeez-O-Peet! I've never been one to kill snakes, nor do I condone them as "pets," but that one wouldn't have survived the ordeal.

MB

I have yet to see this happen with a cut rifled barrel. Button and hammer forged barrels it is more common than what most think.

We had to make ammunition pressure test barrels that where also going to be used for suppressor testing by the Gov’t. All of those barrels started out at 2.375” o.d. The last thing we did was thread them 5/8 threads and cut and crowned them. Didn’t have a single one go sour.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels
I've seen it happen regardless of rifling convention, especially the choke ring (at the groove) due to tool pressure. Not as prominent in the cut rifled barrels, but the issue has been there....

MB