• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thinking about a .17

I have a Marlin 917V, and my buddy has a Savage 93R17.

They both shoot less than 1" groups at 100 yards.

Either one would be a winner.

ymepy5a6.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy S2

I've seen a couple seriously accurate Savage .17 hmr's.
Then again, I've also seen a few that didn't meet that criteria.
Luck of the factory production line I guess. Same happened with my CZ 455's.
The 455 American with a .17 hmr barrel is an moa rifle out to 125 yards
using CCI 20 gr fmj. Yet my 455 Varmint won't group less than 3/4 inch at 50 yards
with any of the ammo I've tested. Ruddy assembly line lottery.
Have a fix for the 455 Varmint though, Lilja has a .17 hmr match grade barrel coming out.
Been saving my pocket change since November, waiting for them to be on sale.

Last edited:
I've had a Savage bolt action .17 hmr for years. Love it. Very accurate gun.

Sent from my SCH-R930 using Tapatalk 2

The .17 is a fun little round. They drop jacks like lightning. My Savages are tack drivers, I think you'll be pleased with how well they shoot.

I agree, get one! My CZ impressed me so much that at one point, I had two CZs, a Ruger 77/17 Varmint and a Volquartsen. The Ruger was a huge let down, and the 452 American went to a friend. The 452 Varmint and the Volquartsen aren't going anywhere.

Chris

I've got a savage 93 in the plastic stock. Best group @100 yards with the 16gr cci green lead-free stuff this last weekend was this 0.741". The rest were 0.9" out to about 1.5" for groups of 5. Not very good at all on paper, but works wonders on rabbits who have 1.5" wide heads. :)

I seem to recall it was better with some of the other ammo, but since I hunt in a lot of lead-free areas it's the only ammo I stockpile now and the only one I shoot out of the .17.

17_meh.jpg

The 0.242" group is 3 rounds out of my Spartan 300WSM at the same 100 yard range. It's a wee bit more accurate than my stock savage and using 168gr SMKs.

Last edited:
The .17 is a fun round. I shoot a CZ 452 American. I don't think you can go wrong. I own a couple Savage CF rifles with the Accu-trigger & have no complaints. It's still fairly economical yet still has enough power to make it fun.

I'd say go for it.

t

Fun little round. My Marlin is super accurate with the 17 grain Vmax and hammers big jacks. I still see .17 myself unlike .22 which is unobtainium, at sane prices that is. I must have missed the zombie squirrel apocolypse somewhere along the way.
IMAG0029_zps3f7416a5.jpg

what are the thoughts on the .17 as a fox/coyote gun? I have seen a guy put down a few yotes with the gun and I just bought the Marlin xt-17. looking at videos it seems to shoot better than a 22 mag!

what are the thoughts on the .17 as a fox/coyote gun? I have seen a guy put down a few yotes with the gun and I just bought the Marlin xt-17. looking at videos it seems to shoot better than a 22 mag!

Can the .17 Kill a fox or 'yote? Yep. I do question whether or not the .17 can do it consistently though. Inside 100yds it should do pretty well with the 20grn bullets, I wouldn't stretch it any farther than that.

t

I have a Savage 93 in .17 HMR and am very happy with it. It's plenty accurate enough to shoot rabbits and squirrels in the head to avoid damaging any meat and I've had good luck using it on Coyotes as well. Shoots flatter than my 22 WMR and I feel like it hits Coyotes just as hard at all but very close ranges.