• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thinking about an AR10/308 AR and moving my bolt gun caliber up

TheGerman

Oberleutnant
Minuteman
  • Jan 25, 2010
    the Westside
    Ever since I got my Mk12Mod1 I've liked semi auto precision rifles more and more (with the Ops Inc suppressor and USO 1-8 this thing is unbeatable within 500-600 yards). I always thought they were kind of meh from my hands on experience with the G3A3, but that was more of a battle rifle pushed into a SPR/DM role than anything.

Right now, I'm on the fence and have slowly been kicking around a 308 AR. I already have all the dies, brass and projectiles I can stand as my bolt is a 308; thinking I may go back into 300 WinMag territory with the bolt but we'll see. I just foresee myself using the semi auto 10 times as often as they tend to be lighter, just about as accurate and more modifiable in general. The only thing I'd need are 308 magazines, and that shouldn't be hard.

So I've been watching a lot of 308 AR / AR10 threads and anytime I start to lean towards one, I read not so great reviews or negative field reports about it as well. I would vastly prefer to 'buy once cry once' rather than buy one and then spend the next year dicking around with switching out the barrel, add this, remove that, etc. I know there will be people saying get a GAP 10, and while I am interested in them, their wait times are a huge turn off for me and I feel that there can be some custom and/or factory rifles out there that can closely compete with the GAP 10; I would like some input.

Was looking at the Armalite Super SASS, but think it may be one of the rifles where I'd want to re-barrel it, etc. The REPR has 50% great reviews, and the other 50% are meh. Also not interested in anything LaRue for multiple reasons.

Thoughts?

Ever since I got my Mk12Mod1 I've liked semi auto precision rifles more and more (with the Ops Inc suppressor and USO 1-8 this thing is unbeatable within 500-600 yards). I always thought they were kind of meh from my hands on experience with the G3A3, but that was more of a battle rifle pushed into a SPR/DM role than anything.

Right now, I'm on the fence and have slowly been kicking around a 308 AR. I already have all the dies, brass and projectiles I can stand as my bolt is a 308; thinking I may go back into 300 WinMag territory with the bolt but we'll see. I just foresee myself using the semi auto 10 times as often as they tend to be lighter, just about as accurate and more modifiable in general. The only thing I'd need are 308 magazines, and that shouldn't be hard.

So I've been watching a lot of 308 AR / AR10 threads and anytime I start to lean towards one, I read not so great reviews or negative field reports about it as well. I would vastly prefer to 'buy once cry once' rather than buy one and then spend the next year dicking around with switching out the barrel, add this, remove that, etc. I know there will be people saying get a GAP 10, and while I am interested in them, their wait times are a huge turn off for me and I feel that there can be some custom and/or factory rifles out there that can closely compete with the GAP 10; I would like some input.

Was looking at the Armalite Super SASS, but think it may be one of the rifles where I'd want to re-barrel it, etc. The REPR has 50% great reviews, and the other 50% are meh. Also not interested in anything LaRue for multiple reasons.

Thoughts?

If your not going to build your own and precision is your game.... Look no further than the JP LRP 07. I've never read one negative thread on this rifle... Nothing but praise... As accurate as a Gap, but lighter, wonderful customer service and reasonably quick build times.

Last edited:
    I've owned 5 different AR10's, 2 of which were chambered in .260 Remington. My 6.5mm's have made me get out of .308 Winchester.

If you enjoy the lightweight and easy handling of the AR15, but want more energy and better ballistics, I would consider a 6.5 Grendel AR15.

If you are dead-set on .308 Winchester, really consider getting the DPMS GII, which weighs the same as the AR15, but is a re-engineered AR10.

For the bolt gun, I would consider going away from anything .30 bore as well, especially the .300 WM, which sucks to reload for, and is very rarely seen among competitive long range shooters anymore for many reasons.

I would strongly consider the .260 Rem for a bolt gun as well. You will not be disappointed.

Last edited: