• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thinking about buying a rifle. What about this one

pepperbelly

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 7, 2006
Fort Worth, Texas
I have been thinking about getting a .308. It will be just for range use- most of the time only to 200 yards, which is as far as my range goes. I don't want to limit myself in case I get a chance to go to a longer range.

I am thinking about a rifle listed on this site. It is a "Rem 700 VSSF in 308 win".

The price seems reasonable, and this rifle is why I started the thread about fluted barrels.

Keep in mind that I am not in a hurry and will need to get a scope later, unless I pass this up and find a scoped rifle for sale.
I have been looking around for a Rem 700P or PSS. I am not interested in an SPS unless it's dirt cheap- I do not like that stock.

Jim

Re: Thinking about buying a rifle. What about this one

A PSS starter kit just got posted, look at that one too.

Nothing wrong with a VSSF, nice rifles, just be happy with the barrel length because shortening a fluted barrel is kind of odd.

Its a fine choice, but I would get a 700SS 5R instead, 26" barrel is a bit long for a 308.

The PSS starter kit looks good.
I didn't think about needing to shorten the fluted barrel- that's a good point.

Now I need to sell a flintlock quick.

Jim

my 26" barrel works just fine on my .308

The Rem 700 SPS Varmint is a fine choice. Yes, the stock is crap, so replace it. You can find a HS Precision stock on eBay for a deal or just buy one new from the company with your own color/style choice. The SPS Varmint has the same barrel, action, and trigger as the 700P, and in the end, the 700P and a SPS Varmint with an upgraded stock will cost about the same. If you want to get a couple bucks back, you can always sell the factory stock for 50 bucks or so.

Ethan

What about a Savage model 10 FP LE model tactical? I found one in excellant condition, with a 20moa base and rings, Harris bipod and a POS Burris scope- $850.00.

Jim