• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thinking about chopping my barrel

Chasingpro

Captain
Minuteman
Jan 18, 2020
Texas
I have a 26” mtu profile 6.5 cm barrel. I’d like to shorten it up to somewhere in the range of 16-20 inches to make it a more manageable length for hunting. Can anyone tell me what I could expect the barrel to weigh?

Take the diameter and divide by 2
You’ll need calipers. Otherwise you can also take the circumference and divide by 2 and multiply that by 3.14

Assuming it is near 7 lbs at 26", you would be around 5.5 lbs at 20" and around 4.5 lbs at 16".

I have a 16.5” skinny 6.5 barrel for hunting.

Looks weird in the MTU channel, and really I dont give a dang.

I run 120’s out of it.

ETA: sometimes, for short walks to a stand, I carry my 18” .308 MTU.
Its still a 14 lb pig in an A5 with a 4-18 Bushnell

• Haha
Reactions: FredHammer
I have a 16.5” skinny 6.5 barrel for hunting.

Looks weird in the MTU channel, and really I dont give a dang.

I run 120’s out of it.

ETA: sometimes, for short walks to a stand, I carry my 18” .308 MTU.
Its still a 14 lb pig in an A5 with a 4-18 Bushnell
I hear ya. Looking for a CF M24 or MTU for this rig:
thumbnail_image4.jpg

get a barrel better suited to the job and leave the heavy profile as is

even a short MTU is way overkill on contour and unnecessary weight for a hunting gun
This is a fact. Have a 22" m24 223 barrel with a manners LRH. Still weighs 15 fuckin pounds. Too heavy to hump around in the field.

Yeah I am trying to hopefully cut it down to 16 or so and put it in a krg bravo for hunting.
Why 16" for hunting? Are you looking to run a suppressor or trying to drop some weight? cuz it'll still be a pig.
I personally hate hunting with anything over 10lbs (loaded weight) in the mountains, under 9 if I'm really putting in miles.
Why not pick up something like a Tikka 6.5 creed for $750 and leave your comp rifle alone?

Why 16" for hunting? Are you looking to run a suppressor or trying to drop some weight? cuz it'll still be a pig.
I personally hate hunting with anything over 10lbs (loaded weight) in the mountains, under 9 if I'm really putting in miles.
Why not pick up something like a Tikka 6.5 creed for $750 and leave your comp rifle alone?
I’m not actually messing with my comp rifle at all. I have an extra action and barrel that I don’t use for anything

I’m not actually messing with my comp rifle at all. I have an extra action and barrel that I don’t use for anything
Maybe just sell your barrel then and put a proper hunting rifle together, I've played the compromise with what you've got game and it never ends well.

Reactions: FredHammer