• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thinking about cutting down my 27" 6BR barrel

Oldmauser

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 2, 2018
My shooting practice evolved in recent years from F-class to 100-300m benchrest. I currently run 6BR 27" 1-8 Krieger. I am thinking all the time about what Dan Lilja posted on his website:

Considering increase of velocity past 24" (15-20 fps/inch) I am thinking about more to be gained in rigidity ( and hopefully accuracy due to decreased barrel whip) by cutting off 2" of the barrel than lost in terms of velocity (approx. 40 fps). So, I will cut the barrel down to 25" unless you guys tell me that it does no make sense.

I used to shoot 24" barrels at that distance. I switched to 26" barrels and have been much happier since. The little bit of added speed helps when the wind is blowing.

I used to shoot 24" barrels at that distance. I switched to 26" barrels and have been much happier since. The little bit of added speed helps when the wind is blowing.
what contour are you running? what groups are you getting out of 26" at 300m?