• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Thinking about getting myself and STI, opinions???

Archangel01

Private
Minuteman
Aug 6, 2010
Arizona
Well ive been looking into getting a 1911 in a 9mm just for a target pistol not for carry or defence, and ive been looking into the STI RangeMaster right now, or possibly jimping into a 2011 Edge, still havent made up my mind but you that have shot or own an STI how do like them? How would you Rate them against other 1911s like kimber, Springfield, and others. thanks fellas

Re: Thinking about getting myself and STI, opinions???

Both of the guns you've mentioned are double stack guns with polymer grips, which are patented by STI and thus not available (or comparable) to a 1911. The two guns share a lot of features with a single stack 1911, and many parts, but typically if you're shopping for one, you're not shopping for the other, they're totally different configurations of firearms.

My suggestion if you want a single action, double stack, 1911-style gun in 9mm is that you look at the Eagle 5.0, with a bushing barrel. The extra weight of the Rangemaster or Edge is unnecessary in the 9mm caliber.

STI also makes 9mm 1911s, of which I have one of those as well.

STI is my favorite producer of factory-made 1911s by far. Their customer service and warranty are excellent as well. You really can't go wrong.

I believe the Rangemaster IS a single stack in the traditional 1911 style. Great pistols in either persuasion!

The STI guns are quality firearms you can't go wrong buying quality. Mine is a 40 cal edge and I love it.

I shot a STI Lexor (version of edge) for years and loved that gun. I only sold it because I wanted to move towards shooting competition with something closer to my carry gun. STI's are great, you won't be disappointed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: titandriver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I believe the Rangemaster IS a single stack in the traditional 1911 style. Great pistols in either persuasion! </div></div>

Oops. I must have been confusing it with another model? Was there a targetmaster or something at one time? I'm not sure.

I'm a big fan of 9mm single stacks. Personally I have a Spartan in 9mm.

For the price spartan in 9mm, if money is no object Nighthawk Ladyhawk in 9mm. Before buying I would recommend that you get your hands on a Browning HiPower (they have an awesome feel with or without hogue grips) and fire it a couple of hundred rounds.

Thanks guys for the info guys, im still trying to decide of i want to go with the 2011 or 1911, but seems like i wont be dissapointed either way. Now the question is, is the extra capacity worth the extra coin?

I have a ranger 2, I have owned Several Springfield, and Kimber. I rate STI (Anything above the Spartan) above both of them.
One reason I believe they do it better, is the company is owned by the employees. This I believe helps quality quite a bit.

I'd say it's an easy choice. My next purchase will definately be another sti. Best value IMO before you get to the great customer service.

My STi edge in .40 is the smoothest and fastest pistol I can shoot accurately. I had a trojan in 9mm before and regret it everyday since i sold it.

I like the grip of the 2011 better than the standard 1911, I might be weird, but I index better with the more square 2011 grip. Though you will be limited to pricy 2011 mags etc. the 1911 might be the better choice for adding accessories, magazines, holsters etc.

You would not go wrong with an STI.

Re: Thinking about getting myself and STI, opinion

I own an STI 5.0 tactical - best and most fun gun to shoot that I've ever owned.
10k rounds - changed springs - absolutely no problems with any factory ammo I've put thru her. STI got it right!

I'd strongly recommend the Spartan for anyone wanting a budget 9mm 1911. Great features for the price.

I think paper punching gets old after a while so I plan my purchases around different competitive divisions. If its going to be a 2011 in 9mm I'd strongly recommend the Eagle over the Edge on the grounds that it's an excellent fit for IDPA ESP. If you really want the full length dust cover consider moving into a .40

I have an STI Trojan in 9mm and it is my favorite handgun I have ever owned. I purchased it from Brazo's and had them give it their high performance once over and I couldn't be happier. I literally can't get this thing to have an issue.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ColoWyo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have an STI Trojan in 9mm and it is my favorite handgun I have ever owned. I purchased it from Brazo's and had them give it their high performance once over and I couldn't be happier. I literally can't get this thing to have an issue. </div></div>

That's pretty impressive. My Spartan is picky about ammo (only likes round nose). I've always thought 9mm 1911s were a pain in the ass. What mags are you using?

I've had 3 9mm Spartans so far and none of them like anything other than round nose stuff. The Trojan may be a little less finicky due to the ramped barrel though.

Back to the OP, any of the STI 1911/2011 pistols will be far ahead of Kimber or Springfield. I played with all of them at the SHOT show and the fit of my $600 Spartan blows them all away.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ColoWyo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have an STI Trojan in 9mm and it is my favorite handgun I have ever owned. I purchased it from Brazo's and had them give it their high performance once over and I couldn't be happier. I literally can't get this thing to have an issue. </div></div>

That's pretty impressive. My Spartan is picky about ammo (only likes round nose). I've always thought 9mm 1911s were a pain in the ass. What mags are you using? </div></div>

I mainly use the Tripp mags, but have had no issues with the mag that came with it.

Keep in mind that the only thing I've put through it is the Walmart white box FMJ's since it's pretty much a gamer/target gun. I haven't tried any HP's with it since I wouldn't carry a gun with a fiber optic front sight. Not so good at night.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ColoWyo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ColoWyo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have an STI Trojan in 9mm and it is my favorite handgun I have ever owned. I purchased it from Brazo's and had them give it their high performance once over and I couldn't be happier. I literally can't get this thing to have an issue. </div></div>

That's pretty impressive. My Spartan is picky about ammo (only likes round nose). I've always thought 9mm 1911s were a pain in the ass. What mags are you using? </div></div>

I mainly use the Tripp mags, but have had no issues with the mag that came with it.

Keep in mind that the only thing I've put through it is the Walmart white box FMJ's since it's pretty much a gamer/target gun. I haven't tried any HP's with it since I wouldn't carry a gun with a fiber optic front sight. Not so good at night. </div></div>

Ahh I only use Tripp mags as well.

My EMP feeds anything....but it has a ramped barrel.

Spartan....round nose only!!!

I have a STI tactical 9mm 4.15 with a red dot, other handguns are hanging in the safe.....cant go wrong with STI

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Archangel01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Now the question is, is the extra capacity worth the extra coin? </div></div>

It really depends on what you're doing with it. For just blasting at the range, I love my single stacks, but I compete with a 2011 in the divisions in which a lesser capacity gun wouldn't be competitive.

I've got to throw my hat into the pro STI ring. I've two in 9mm and one in .40 and they all work great. Been thinking about getting one in 45 just to see if it could be any better in the traditional 1911 caliber. I've got a handul of 1911s that cost 4 times more and the main differences are looks on the gun and the looks the name gets. The accuracy difference between my STI .40 and my more expensive guns is not significant enough to be noteworthy, and I am one of those guys that demands unreasonably accurate pistols. Besides, they're made right here in Texas!