• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thinking about starting to reload

jd22981

Private
Minuteman
Oct 17, 2021
SC, USA
Hello, I've been considering starting to reload. A friend of mine passed a while back and was into it, and his wife gave me some of his reloading supplies that were left after the estate sale. Not much, but a tumbler and some RCBS dies.

I'm looking at investing in a press a few other things. I have a few books and have read through them. I've also read things online (there was a good post in this forum I read as well).

My only concern at the moment is availability of supplies. It's hard enough finding ammo dependably lately, but the few times I've looked at prices (or have attempted to) for reloading supplies, I've found that most supplies seem to be even more scarce than ammo. Yesterday Midway only had three powder types in stock. Not one website (Brownells, Optics Planet, Midway, and many others) have had primers in stock that I have seen.

I'm wondering what the outlook is on the availability of brass, powder, and primers is, because I can't justify buying the equipment and everything if all three aren't readily available. Of course when it comes to bullets, they always seem to be available, and worse case scenario there is always lead casting or other methods. Primers, brass and powder are three important factors though.

Is this expected to change at some point soon?

totally worth every minute of it I particularly love watching others at the range totally loosing there shit over seating depth and yelling at a bullet that they shot wrong the frustration makes the price of admission worth it . Also have to love the never ending quest for powder , primers ,cases and bullets that much more fun when you can find the ones you wanted it's magical . best of luck to you sir . I spent almost a year planning what I wanted to buy who had it in stock just to throw all that useless well sort of useless information away cause none of those places hand anything available when I was able to buy it .

Reactions: RMB
It’s slowly getting a little trickle of supplies. Watch the post exchange for stuff. What calibers you looking in to?
When I start I will be loading 300 blk, 6.5CM, 9mm. Brass I should be okay with, because I can reuse it. Primarily concern is if there will be powder and primers.

There has been a steady trickle of primers and powder. You just need to be ready to buy when they pop up. Peruse the market places here and on some of the other popular gun forums. A lot of times someone will post powder or primer availability at one of the big distributors. When they do, buy quick and buy more than you think you will need. Only in this way will you become less dependent on the market availability.

Good luck with the reloading, it is an adventure and an addiction. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: jd22981
Reloading is a skill that everyone should have.

Hand loaded ammo will always be cheaper than factory loaded.

Personally I like the idea of creating and firing 30K to 60K PSI contained explosions within two inches of my brain and surviving.

That's just me.

BugIn

Reactions: BLEE and jd22981
There has been a steady trickle of primers and powder. You just need to be ready to buy when they pop up. Peruse the market places here and on some of the other popular gun forums. A lot of times someone will post powder or primer availability at one of the big distributors. When they do, buy quick and buy more than you think you will need. Only in this way will you become less dependent on the market availability.

Good luck with the reloading, it is an adventure and an addiction. :ROFLMAO:

I've been on the lookout just haven't seen what I'm looking for. I'll be ready when that time comes. I'm sure it is an addiction. Shooting is an addiction in and of itself

Reloading is a skill that everyone should have.

Hand loaded ammo will always be cheaper than factory loaded.

Personally I like the idea of creating and firing 30K to 60K PSI contained explosions within two inches of my brain and surviving.

That's just me.

BugIn
I can't wait to start firing my own reloads. I'm mostly wanting to get into it for the precision aspect of it

There are 2 schools when it comes to reloading/handloading.

1) assemble ammunition that goes BANG safely, reliably, and inexpensively.

2) assemble ammunition that is the paramount of accuracy and performance for a particular firearm.

Not long ago it was hard to justify the cost of school #1. I did the math and couldn't justify the expense.

Then I bought a magnum rifle.

The math suddenly justified the expense of reloading. Then I decided to try to shoot that rifle at 1000+. That's where School 2 started to take over.

Now I'm hooked. And even with scrounging for components, I enjoy it immensely.

I started out with a Lee hand press and the most basic equipment. It was slow and sometimes tedious. But I saw results that justified expanding my equipment... I'm still upgrading as a matter of fact.

Give it a shot. In this market you can probably get your money back quick if you decide it isn't for you.

Added bonus: if you have kids it's a good way to spend some time with them. They learn a little about the results of dedication to a task... And it beats the hell out of them vegging out on TikTok videos.

Mike

Treat it like a hobby race car on a budget.
Buy what you can, when you can and let it all pile up in the garage.
Sooner or later you will have it all. Or get sick of it and sell it at a discount..

Edit to add*

I've been compiling 50bmg components for years. I don't even have a 50 yet. Hahahaha

It still makes more sense financially to reload, regardless of cartridge. Plus you have to total control over the process. I did a detailed breakdown using 6.5 Creedmoor as an example that I can post or share via Pm if anyone on the fence is interested

I got into 6.5CM this year. I had primers and a suboptimal powder. Was able to get projos and starline brass without losing my shirt. Not too long after powder showed up. As mentioned, set your notifications or whatever works for you, have your CC memorized, and be ready. Things seem to be improving.

I just got another 8lb of RL26 that I had on back order. I had ordered 2, decided to just get one to add to the 30+ lbs I have sitting on the shelf - most of which I got from places that will allow back orders too. Try to find a few shops that allow back orders and place them.

Expect to have a tougher time finding primers for the rifle cartridges.

A variety of 6.5 bullets are available at a few places (A-tips at Midsouth, Hornady ELDs at Grafs, and Precision Reloading). Brass is available in a few spots, and you can backorder from Creedmoor Sports.

There are 2 schools when it comes to reloading/handloading.

1) assemble ammunition that goes BANG safely, reliably, and inexpensively.

2) assemble ammunition that is the paramount of accuracy and performance for a particular firearm.

Mike
I initially started to think about it in terms of 1, but haven't even started yet and I'm already thinking of it in terms of what you put as 2.

It's a good hobby to have, and if I did have kids I would be doing it with them. They wouldn't be playing around with TicTac. That stuff is ruining the younger generations.

I've been compiling 50bmg components for years. I don't even have a 50 yet. Hahahaha
I saw primers appear on midway for large rifles and no sooner than my search said available it was already sold out before I could add it to my cart and check out. I also see that Midway has powder for the 50BMG. I was thinking to myself that maybe it would be a good purchase even though I don't have one. Maybe someday. Or at the very least a 338LM

It still makes more sense financially to reload, regardless of cartridge. Plus you have to total control over the process. I did a detailed breakdown using 6.5 Creedmoor as an example that I can post or share via Pm if anyone on the fence is interested

My primary reason for wanting to do it is the educational aspect of wanting to learn new things, especially in relation to a hobby I already enjoy. My second reason as of now is wanting to be able to load exactly as I want for purposes I choose. I'm thinking, if for example I have a 300blk pistol, and factory ammo is more so designed for a longer barrel, there's powder not burning until after exiting the barrel, which is a waste, adds more of a flash, and contributes to excess noise. I can reduce all of those things and probably use a powder specifically optimized for my build. If ATF paperwork goes through for suppressor I'll also optimize for cleanest burning set up possible to further reduce fowling. Cost savings is still on the list, especially when it comes to larger calibers like the 6.5cm.
Is the detailed breakdown you mention already posted on here someplace?

I got into 6.5CM this year. I had primers and a suboptimal powder. Was able to get projos and starline brass without losing my shirt. Not too long after powder showed up. As mentioned, set your notifications or whatever works for you, have your CC memorized, and be ready. Things seem to be improving.
I'm ready when things do show up, but I swear, as soon as a few primers showed up on Midway tonight, I went to add them to my cart and they were gone. I was like, what just happened. They weren't in stock but a few minutes.

I just got another 8lb of RL26 that I had on back order. I had ordered 2, decided to just get one to add to the 30+ lbs I have sitting on the shelf - most of which I got from places that will allow back orders too. Try to find a few shops that allow back orders and place them.

A variety of 6.5 bullets are available at a few places (A-tips at Midsouth, Hornady ELDs at Grafs, and Precision Reloading). Brass is available in a few spots, and you can backorder from Creedmoor Sports.
I feel like bullets are probably the easiest to get, but honestly not really my concern anyway. I would think that eventually I'd just make my own. Whether it be casting led or other means. My real concern is powder, primers, and to a lesser extent brass. I'm definitely keeping an eye out for them. 30+lbs of smokeless. How long will it last if stored in good dry and stable temps? If you don't use it all in a year or so will it still stay good? I'd be concerned about coming into powder, not having a steady supply of primers, then having the bulk of smokeless go bad after a period of time (but honestly have no idea as to how long it will last). I know ammo from ww2 has still fired, 70 years later, but it has been sealed air tight in bullets.

Reactions: camocorvette

Well can’t you just buy a ton of 308 and just neck down to 6.5? It’d save on brass no?

Usually, the more you shoot, the more sense reloading makes. However, since the wuflu panic, reloading has been cheaper for me, if I can get components. It's like anything else that can be dangerous, follow the rules and procedures and you'll do fine. There's a ton of documentation and videos from the manufacturer's web sites to get you started. Double check and cross reference everything, for accuracy, even when loading, check everything twice and don't get complacent. I've pulled 100 bullets at a time to double check a powder load, when I've had doubts.

Even if components are not ready available you should still start buying all youre reloading equipment. Get set up and ready to go. Primers are coming in stock every week now, online. Powder is coming in stock more and more. And bullets seem to be in stock regularly. Might not be able find certain bullets. But there are usually always plenty of good choices in stock.

Usually, the more you shoot, the more sense reloading makes. However, since the wuflu panic, reloading has been cheaper for me, if I can get components. It's like anything else that can be dangerous, follow the rules and procedures and you'll do fine. There's a ton of documentation and videos from the manufacturer's web sites to get you started. Double check and cross reference everything, for accuracy, even when loading, check everything twice and don't get complacent. I've pulled 100 bullets at a time to double check a powder load, when I've had doubts.
I weigh EVERY charge. Don’t have to question a dispenser double charging or charging over .4gr etc. eliminate the threat then there is none.

Reactions: jd22981 and BLEE
I'm in the process of moving and have not had internet. Sorry for not seeing and responding until now.

I'm used to tediousness and perfection from working in machining with extremely tight tolerances of a few microns where there were was high risk if parts weren't to spec. Especially when manufacturing components related to the medical industry. I'm sure it will translate well into reloading. I wish I knew more people in my area that I could meet up with and learn in person. I will probably join a shooting club or something as things cool down with my recent move.
I also need to find an outdoor range. At the moment I only know of two ranges within about 40 minutes and they are both indoor. As soon as the house stuff is taken care of. I can't wait.

Even if components are not ready available you should still start buying all youre reloading equipment. Get set up and ready to go. Primers are coming in stock every week now, online. Powder is coming in stock more and more. And bullets seem to be in stock regularly. Might not be able find certain bullets. But there are usually always plenty of good choices in stock.

Thanks for the response BiggBeans. I recently moved to a gun friendly state from 2nd amendment hating state. I've been piecing together my builds since moving here but I'm almost done and the next step is reloading equipment and optics. I'm going to select reloading equipment next because I know it's more difficult to find and want to be ready when it's available. Optics seem to always be available.
The joys of moving have been throwing a lot of curveballs, but in the coming weeks I'll will be investing in a press, and I don't think I'm going to hold out for the Forester Coax that I have been. I'm going to look into a few recommendations others have provided me in private messages.

I weigh EVERY charge. Don’t have to question a dispenser double charging or charging over .4gr etc. eliminate the threat then there is none.
I will probably do the same, I'm ok with the time commitment for this. The only exception for me will be if I get into reloading 9mm or 40 handgun ammo. All rifle ammo I'd be willing to invest more time into weighing each and every charge.

Reactions: Wizard1183
As frustrating as it can be especially finding components right now, it’s totally worth it. I just sold a bunch of very good 6.5cm factory ammo just because of rather load my own to shoot.

And I needed a fun way to get rid of the 14 lbs of H4350 thats been on my shelves unused for years 😬😬😬

As frustrating as it can be especially finding components right now, it’s totally worth it. I just sold a bunch of very good 6.5cm factory ammo just because of rather load my own to shoot.

And I needed a fun way to get rid of the 14 lbs of H4350 thats been on my shelves unused for years 😬😬😬
I'm sure it is worth it, and in the near future hope to experience it first hand