• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thinking about trying to trade a rifle

mdmorrow

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 31, 2013
McKinney, TX
I've got a GAP-10 .308 with a PRS stock and a 22" threaded bartlein barrel. Everything is totally awesome about this rifle except for the weight. I mostly use it for hog hunting and if there's any walking involved, it'll wear you out. It's dead accurate off a bipod and rear bag though. Most accurate gas gun I've ever shot, hands down. I'm not convinced that there is even a better option out there but figured I'd throw the question out there and see what you guys have to say. I know an OBR, JP-LRP, PredatAR, tOBR (if that ever happens) or even a shorter GAP-10 may be quality options but if there's not a big difference in weight than I'd just as soon stick with what I've got. Let's hear some talk, thanks!

Last edited:
Personally--I'd ditch the prs for a acs, or ctr. Have the barrel cut to 16 inches and roll with what you have. It will probablly cost what you are going to lose in trade.

Maybe I'm missing something, but where the value be lost if it was a comparable trade? Thanks for the recommendation but for that much out of pocket to change a good rifle, I'd just keep this and buy something else in addition to it.

Maybe I'm missing something, but where the value be lost if it was a comparable trade? Thanks for the recommendation but for that much out of pocket to change a good rifle, I'd just keep this and buy something else in addition to it.

I'm just not sure your going to get a comparable trade--generally you always lose some money.

As for the investment--remove the prs and sell it---for a fair price--should more than cover the buffertube and new stock.

Many companies such as ADCO etc can cut and recrown your barrel for you for aroun 2-300 bucks.

Its a minimum investment to keep the rifle that you have and love, but make it more usable for your needs.

I'm just not sure your going to get a comparable trade--generally you always lose some money.

As for the investment--remove the prs and sell it---for a fair price--should more than cover the buffertube and new stock.

Many companies such as ADCO etc can cut and recrown your barrel for you for aroun 2-300 bucks

Its a minimum investment to keep the rifle that you have and love, but make it more usable for your needs.

I don't think I'd be losing any money if I swapped for something that's worth about the same new. The rifles I listed are all in the ballpark.

I'm not going to have a third party change up a barrel built on a GA rifle. If anything maintenance happens on this rifle, it would be done in George's shop.

Like I said, if I didn't trade it even for something very comparable, but lighter weight, then I'd just keep it and get something else eventually. You can't ever have too many guns!:cool:

If you can afford to keep the current rifle and buy a new one, that would be best. Even on a reasonable trade, you loose money because your rifle is used. I would look for a rifle with a lightweight fluted barrel of 18-20 inches. As most of your use appears to be hunting, with lots of carrying, the lighter barrel will be much appreciated.

If you can afford to keep the current rifle and buy a new one, that would be best. Even on a reasonable trade, you loose money because your rifle is used. I would look for a rifle with a lightweight fluted barrel of 18-20 inches. As most of your use appears to be hunting, with lots of carrying, the lighter barrel will be much appreciated.

I can and I probably will. My only hesitation is I don't want a rifle this nice to turn into a safe queen that never gets used. I suppose if I'm walking a distance, I can always leave the semi at the house and just bring out one of the bolt guns. I've got several nice bolts but my next addition is a 7mm-08 that RW Snyder is building for me.

I don't think I'd lose in trade though. Used for used if for a JP or OBR, etc wouldn't hurt my value I wouldn't think. I've heard good things about JP's but I don't think trading it for an OBR would make much of a difference weight wise.

Just because you get a new rifle, that doesn't mean the GA precision rifle has to be a safe queen. Another option would be to simply re-barrel the existing rifle. You could save, sell, or swap the old barrel. My guess is that re-barreling would be the most cost effective way of getting EXACTLY the barrel profile you want.

Plus, you get to keep what is a rifle with a well known history of excellent performance. You can never be quite sure about used, or new rifles until you have shot them.

Just because you get a new rifle, that doesn't mean the GA precision rifle has to be a safe queen. Another option would be to simply re-barrel the existing rifle. You could save, sell, or swap the old barrel. My guess is that re-barreling would be the most cost effective way of getting EXACTLY the barrel profile you want.

Plus, you get to keep what is a rifle with a well known history of excellent performance. You can never be quite sure about used, or new rifles until you have shot them.

That's a good point. Actually I may leave it like it is until I get another .308. Once I've established performance with another, lighter weight rifle then I'll rebarrel to something different like a .260 or a creedmoor.

That might be the best plan. Like I said, there's not really too much to complain about with this rig other than the weight.

How much weight is your optic? There may be some savings by going to lighter optic and losing the PRS. I would just hate to potentially lose money on a trade. Secondly, you could probably pick up a grendel, 6.8 Spec II or cheap LR-308 which would meet your hunting needs in an auto-loader. Lots of 6.8s in Texas. I stalk hunt with a stripped down 18" 6.8 with a Redfield 3-7 optic, and anyone could carry my rifle all day!! I wish is was a 12.5 inch barrel and 12" handguard as it would be very handy! And, it is a laser with a 95 grain Barnes TSX. A stripped down bolt gun is hard to beat also. Lastly, there is always CROSS-FIT. I say invest the money in more steel instead of losing it - if possible.

Many blessings,

BC

DO NOT CHOP THAT BARREL.

Its worth alot to the right person. Buy a 16" barrel and then sell the 22"er. Someone will pay for it.

I'd keep the GAP but would loose the Magpul PRS and get Magpul ACS to replace it, That would save some weight. I would not cut the barrel down.

DO NOT CHOP THAT BARREL.

Its worth alot to the right person. Buy a 16" barrel and then sell the 22"er. Someone will pay for it.

I agree. If I keep it then I'll leave it alone. I've already got a good spot and stalk rifle in my 5.56 Larue. I keep eyeing those JP's so if I did put it up for trade then that would be the only thing I would have interest in. Larue makes a great product but after how they've shafted everyone with wait times and bs in the last couple of years then I just don't see myself getting another one.

I agree with Samnev, I own a JP lrp-07 and I love it but with that being said GAP-10 rifles are right there with the JP. I think you're best option would be to shave some weight off your gun. The PRS stock is one way, you could save up to 1lb to 1.5lbs if you switch stocks. Also you could try making some other modifications to shave some more, but If I were you I would keep the GAP-10.

Thanks for the input guys. I'm gonna throw in on the PX and see what bites. I get rifle ADD sometimes and I figure I'll be just as happy with a JP as I am with the GAP. If nothing comes along then I'll be happy with what I've got.

I would keep the Gap-10 the way it is and use it as my long range steel gun or sit up on a hill and snipe those hogs from 500+.
I would just buy something inexpensive to hunt hogs with.