• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thinking I want a Fuji camera

pmclaine

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Nov 6, 2011
    MA
    My old Olympus is dying, need to replace it.

I miss the 35mm era but cant deny the utility of digital. No more throwing away 34 pictures to get one good one in a roll of 35.

Still though....metal camera bodies leather grip areas, leather cases......a camera that looks good and works good....small enough to not be a burden.

My current camera is a 14-42....not a lot of zoom.....gets it done for most things. most of my pictures are close up but I like taking big landscapes and hoping they show the wonder of what my eye sees.

For use think dude at range that wants to take pictures to post on the Hide or Dad on vacation wanting to take pics of family or scenery they see.

Im not technical....I will probably use an auto mode most of the time.

Loving this....

but dont know if its "too limited" in what it can do........Great lens but pretty low power......has adaptor lenses but thats more shit to carry.

@Bender any thoughts?

@gr8fuldoug any sales?

• Love
    Reactions: Bender and The D
    Fine camera if you need something small and unobtrusive for carrying around with you everywhere you go. It's really more of a hipster-retro-fashion accessory, though. Fuji's X-E-series gives you almost the same form factor but with access to X-mount lenses.
    I'm not a fan of Fuji's color rendition (a bit muted vs. Nikon, even in the Velvia profile) so for me, not the best choice for nature or landscapes.

Last edited:
    Looks good!
    My old X100F is amazing, the software and controls have more features and functions than I can ever
    use.
    Bought it used here: https://www.keh.com/

Take a look at the X-Pro series, I love mine. Seems to fit the bill for what you want too.

I've got an older XT-1 that I really like. The kit lens is good, but it really shines with a prime lens. The ability to easily pair it to a phone or laptop has been useful for digiscoping and astronomy. I've taken it on several month long expeditions with it bouncing around a raft or backpack and haven't had any issues. Battery life is fine, controls are easy.

I miss the 35mm era but cant deny the utility of digital. No more throwing away 34 pictures to get one good one in a roll of 35.

Still though....metal camera bodies leather grip areas, leather cases......a camera that looks good and works good....small enough to not be a burden.

My current camera is a 14-42....not a lot of zoom.....gets it done for most things. most of my pictures are close up but I like taking big landscapes and hoping they show the wonder of what my eye sees.

For use think dude at range that wants to take pictures to post on the Hide or Dad on vacation wanting to take pics of family or scenery they see.

Loving this....

but dont know if its "too limited" in what it can do........Great lens but pretty low power......has adaptor lenses but thats more shit to carry.

@Bender any thoughts?

@gr8fuldoug any sales?
    If you’re not going to be an uber photog nerd or aren’t going to try to make a living with it, any new mirrorless camera will work. Pick something aesthetically pleasing that has the options you desire. This one looks to be great for your needs

Capture.PNG

......thats a bit like buying a gun with "battleworn" cerakote.....isnt it?

like, why dont we just start making film cameras again if we want a "film look"....?

hell, we could even have a hybrid digi/ film camera.....so you can pre-screen your shots and go through all the setup with ease like you would with a digi camera.....but have it actually save the shot on film.....hell ide be all for that.

I have an X-T2 and love it. I loved my Nikon film cameras but the cheap plastic body and lenses of the new Nikons turned me off. Fuji cameras and lenses are metal if that matters to you. The X-T series has full exposure control from the top of the camera. You can adjust without looking away from the viewfinder, no more scrolling through a menu to make a simple adjustment. Fuji lenses are brilliant.

Not a single benefit to film over digital except in extreme professional situations. I shot professional for decades and been digital since the Nikon D300. I now have the 850. Would never consider using film again

hipster-retro-fashion accessory

Dude, Hitting me where it hurts.....will I need a man bun and operator beard?

The single lens is the aspect that blows but truth be told Ill never be swapping lenses....I want something that fits in pack or pocket and I pull out for a quick snapshot. Close ups of gun details, pictures of targets, a shot of down range, family beach pictures......

The retro, leather case, leather surfaces appeal to my nostalgic streak.

Had one of these in 35mm I used to carry on motorcycle trips and it was about perfect if unable to zoom into anything...

1611860945142.png

Reactions: Bender
    ".I want something that fits in pack or pocket and I pull out for a quick snapshot"

iPhone, seriously

If you’re not going to be an uber photog nerd or aren’t going to try to make a living with it, any new mirrorless camera will work. Pick something aesthetically pleasing that has the options you desire. This one looks to be great for your needs

Yeah, Id never pick anything reasonably priced and suitable for my needs..........the feature of "machine milled body" keeps over riding any fucking common sense I would have.

I like my Fuji XT-3 in chrome. I like not having to dig through menus or touch a screen to change the shutter speed, aperture, or ISO. Feels like old school film camera. I started with a fully manual film SLR with splitscreen viewfinder. And from a quick glance from the top I know what setting I'm at instead of wondering: Did I remember to change the high ISO back to 100 or something.

I get so many comments from friends and strangers asking if I was shooting with a film camera and I'd show them the LCD screen on the back.

Reactions: Bender and MJF
    Sony A7 here w/ 35mm. Works great. I have the same uses you have with the addition of a little night photography of shit I think is cool. It's excellent all around, but a bit large for what you're wanting.

The Leica line-up has some pretty solid options with optical zoom, slim profile, etc. The trade off ~ $$. If I was in your shoes and didn't want a large mirrorless, the Leica offerings would get a serious consideration.

As much as this will sound like heresy, in device software processing has caused a huge change to the photography landscape for those who are not approaching photography as a serious hobby or profession.

If you take a look at the camera abilities from something high end like the Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra or the Huawei Mate 40 Pro/Pro+
    Then consider their video abilities, In their price range, they are very hard to beat.

Dude, Hitting me where it hurts.....will I need a man bun and operator beard?

The single lens is the aspect that blows but truth be told Ill never be swapping lenses....I want something that fits in pack or pocket and I pull out for a quick snapshot. Close ups of gun details, pictures of targets, a shot of down range, family beach pictures......

The retro, leather case, leather surfaces appeal to my nostalgic streak.

Had one of these in 35mm I used to carry on motorcycle trips and it was about perfect if unable to zoom into anything...

View attachment 7540435
    Sending you a PM.

Reactions: pmclaine
    I’ll circle back to this later tonight. I’m a long time Fuji user and the x100v is my primary these days. Definitely have $0.02 to share.

If you're looking for a tourist camera, then that will be fine. I'm not sure it's a camera I'd want for more than average picture taking while on vacation.

Yeah, Id never pick anything reasonably priced and suitable for my needs..........the feature of "machine milled body" keeps over riding any fucking common sense I would have.
    Common sense may dictate that you just use your cell phone, new phone cameras are pretty amazing. But... pretty billet machining

I absolutely get it too. That is a good looking camera

I’m more of a Nikon fan, Nikon or Pentax. Nothing wrong with Fuji however.

Reactions: pmclaine
    If you're looking for a tourist camera, then that will be fine. I'm not sure it's a camera I'd want for more than average picture taking while on vacation.

If I was a trout Id bite the shiny spinner bait every time.......release me, cast, before you reeled twice Id be on the line again..............."Must get shiny shit".

Common sense may dictate that you just use your cell phone, new phone cameras are pretty amazing. But... pretty billet machining

I absolutely get it too. That is a good looking camera

Post 15 sir.

A picture is worth a thousand words.

My attraction to "shiny" obviously doesnt apply to phones.......perhaps I dont care to talk to people while I exhibit serious social disorders by wanting to keep the camera between me and the subjects I capture.

Sometimes a cigar is a dick.........

As much as this will sound like heresy, in device software processing has caused a huge change to the photography landscape for those who are not approaching photography as a serious hobby or profession.

If you take a look at the camera abilities from something high end like the Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra or the Huawei Mate 40 Pro/Pro+
    Then consider their video abilities, In their price range, they are very hard to beat.

Wont the Huawei take pictures on its own and transmit them back to the CCCP?

Guessing they all come with Chicom spyware regardless of the name.

• Haha
    Reactions: clcustom1911

I wouldn’t trust anything made by huawei.

I have an X-T2 and love it. I loved my Nikon film cameras but the cheap plastic body and lenses of the new Nikons turned me off. Fuji cameras and lenses are metal if that matters to you. The X-T series has full exposure control from the top of the camera. You can adjust without looking away from the viewfinder, no more scrolling through a menu to make a simple adjustment. Fuji lenses are brilliant.
    X2.

I originally bought an X-T1 and love it. I couldn't resist and then bought an X-T2 and love it. The X-T1 is a backup, but it's been and remains great. You can pick up nice used 1's or 2's for great prices. As far as a lens, I'd highly recommend the XF 16-55 f2.8 (Not the Kit Lens). Great, versatile carrying lens. I agree that primes are probably "better", but their use is more specialized and if you're looking for a good all around lens, swapping (primes) lenses all the time gets to be a PITA pretty quickly.

You could probably pick up a nice X-T1 for $400.00 or less and buy the 16-55. Play with it and if you were left wanting, you could then go out and buy an X-T3 or X-T4 and the 16-55 XF lens will be compatible across all XT series bodies. Whatever you get for a body, you'll probably want a battery grip if you have mid to larger sized hands. Just plan ahead though, Fuji's battery grips are not cross compatible between X-T1, 2, 3, or 4.

Last edited:
    Reactions: MJF and pmclaine

Just do what I do and keep your phone in your front pocket with a hole in it, so when they take pictures secretly, they can see how inferior they are / how inferior their boyfriends are....

Last edited:
    So, I’ve ran the x100f, x-pro2, XT2, and now the X100V. Been using Fuji for about 5 years now after being on the Canon train.

I also occasionally run a 1960s Olympus 35SP for film so I get the love/hate with film and rangefinders.

If you’re looking for something lightweight and similar in creative constraints(that you can add/remove/scale) to an old film rangefinder the x100v is the way to go. It’s just fun. I always shot raw as I attempted to break into the professional photography game and it can do all that but what I love is shooting jpg and utilizing both the preset film simulations and making my own in-body film simulations. Utilized the old school dials to adjust ISO, aperture, and shutter speed is also fun. I want more time spent shooting and producing fun results and less time dinking around with editing in Lightroom/PS.
    If you’re not aware, you can also utilize a 50 and 75mm digital zoom which actually holds up well with the new f2.0 lens in the x100v and 26mp sensor.

If you’re looking for small/light but interchangeable lens, the XE-4 was just released today and is very competitively priced.

Here’s a few unedited pics utilizing the in-body film simulations from my latest trip to the southwest. It’s just fun to throw this in a jacket and know that it’s light and small enough to always be on hand for whatever shenanigans I end up in.

Attachments

• E73AAD32-790D-44EA-8A65-AA1BF387DD8C.jpeg
      E73AAD32-790D-44EA-8A65-AA1BF387DD8C.jpeg
      703.4 KB · Views: 52
    • 8D73BA72-F4A0-4F0C-934E-C1307DED456A.jpeg
      8D73BA72-F4A0-4F0C-934E-C1307DED456A.jpeg
      1.2 MB · Views: 40
    • 2D8C5581-2BB8-40A4-9BE3-556A4400EC1D.jpeg
      2D8C5581-2BB8-40A4-9BE3-556A4400EC1D.jpeg
      827.3 KB · Views: 50
    Reactions: pmclaine and MJF

This is the big drawback of just using the camera on a nice phone. It is very difficult to stay secure. There are ways around it for the most part but you’re limited to a handful of phones and operating systems. And you either need to be able to do a bunch of your own shit to the phone or pay someone to do it for you

Love my X-E3! Way more capable than I am at this point... but I'm learning... and plenty of room to grow in to. Replaced an S700 that was plenty capable for what it was, but it had a pretty hard life bouncing around in my truck.

Loving this....

@Bender any thoughts?

@gr8fuldoug any sales?
    Fuji is soo underrated, I think only Sony offers real mirrorless competition. And yes, mirrorless is superior IMHO. More compact/lighter just as powerful. I don’t tweak pics afterwards with software, simply no need. Fuji glass is easily as good as German. Don’t let believe the hype. German glass is bad ass, but cost factor limited. Here are a few of my candid shots.
    1CD6BEE4-21E0-42DB-813F-8BBDAD65610A.jpeg
    233E529C-82AE-417D-9F0F-4269C7762A27.jpeg
    B6CF6B8B-EBFB-43B8-93FB-D26AECA42470.jpeg
    D7886AF0-EE25-43C2-B458-865DBEAAAE0C.jpeg
    9C5EF9C0-7B04-4D36-8671-41B4F9DBA357.jpeg
    80BAB46D-78D8-4FE0-81ED-CEB3898FDA3C.jpeg
    32ED0FD5-2B8E-48EF-8418-4A13D57DDA4C.jpeg
    5A4597CC-0FFB-4784-885F-671AD301B5B1.jpeg

Fuji is soo underrated, I think only Sony offers real mirrorless competition. And yes, mirrorless is superior IMHO. More compact/lighter just as powerful. I don’t tweak pics afterwards with software, simply no need. Fuji glass is easily as good as German. Don’t let believe the hype. German glass is bad ass, but cost factor limited. Here are a few of my candid shots.
    View attachment 7540717View attachment 7540718View attachment 7540719View attachment 7540720View attachment 7540721View attachment 7540722View attachment 7540723View attachment 7540724

I knew you would erase any cognitive dissonance I might be experiencing.

• Love